Gibson Brands Forums

Maple CJ165 vs. J185

eds111

Has anyone compared these two directly? I've heard the demo of the CJ165, it sounds great. What happens to the sound in the larger package, just more of the same?

I like the J185 TV a lot. I don't need a pickup.

I am looking for a warm and bright tone, with FAT trebles. I play 80% fingerstyle (bare fingers/nails), 20% strum and flatpick.

I like my L-00 BK, any thoughts on how my BK compares to these two would be nice.

Also, if anyone knows the body length camparison as well as the lower bout dimensions, that would help.

I played a maple cj-165 recently and liked it a lot. It has a bit more oomph than my recent blues king. The maple of course sounds different from bubinga. The guitar itself seems slightly bigger, bigger internal volume maybe, and the shape gives it a different sound. I was very impressed with it and considered buying one. I have decided to go with the rosewood version. Hopefully this will be kind of like the Gibson answer to my OM-21, nice small-bodied rosewood guitar.

I was asking the same question about a yr ago and ended up buying a tv j185 sunburst...a little more volume I would think as the 165 (as stated above)is more of a parlour guitar...

can't go wrong with the j 185

hey,WN! i lived in london (westmount) for 10 years. bought my first guitar at john bellone (el degas LP copy). i'm coming up in sept to see ryan adams b/u for oasis.

can you tell me what stores are selling gibson acoustics?

I haven't had the chance to demo a J185TV yet but plan on it as soon as I see one somewhere. As far as the CJ165 Rosewood goes, great guitar! Surprising volume and I love the overtones of the guitar. Strongest smelling Rosewood I've ever run across. Don't know if that means anything but my CJ will be with me till the end.

The CJs are great. I had a Maple one for a short while, but ended up returning it due to a wavy top. I'm sure that was just a one-off, though.

I found it was responsive, fairly loud, great for fingerstyle but got a bit crashy when strummed hard. It's not designed for that, though, so that's to be expected, and I'm sure the Rosewood is a little warmer.

I've loved almost every J185 I've ever played. I think they're tremendous guitars, I'd love to play one in long scale, though. On that note, I'd love a long-scale Hummingbird to try out, too.

Archived