Gibson Brands Forums

Common Luthier Myths explained.....

onewilyfool

Thoroughly enjoyed that. I have had many discussions with friends and clients alike about many of these topics and it can be like discussing religion - the believers will believe no matter what, and the non-believers are just as stubborn.

I continue to tell people every day that a guitar should be purchased with the ears. You can spend a lifetime learning all the technical and intricate details of instrument construction, repairs and maintenance and never learn anywhere near as much as your ears already know. Play it, and if it sounds amazing - buy it.

If only it were that simple . . .

Hey Ballcorner.....I agree with you 100%. Buy with your ears!! And about the opinions about what makes a guitar sound good....The old saying, "I'll believe it when I see (hear) it." is not accurate as "I will see (hear) it when I believe it." When it comes to some of these myths. If someone has made up their mind that a "vintage" guitar sounds better than a new one.....whether or not it does.....is in the eye (ear) (mind) of the beholder....lol.....

If someone has made up their mind that a "vintage" guitar sounds better than a new one.....whether or not it does.....is in the eye (ear) (mind) of the beholder....lol.....

I am always open to the idea that we all hear music differently and maybe a guitar that sounds like a nagging mother in law to me might sound like a purring kitten to someone else, but when I worked in a vintage store I actually watched people buy guitars with no volume, little tone, and decaying resonance as you moved up the previously unexplored parts of the neck right after playing an amazing guitar that didn't interest them.

The most difficult to sell guitar I ever handled was a 1934 Martin 0-18 that was so resonant your spine would tingle with every note - the sound just went through you - but because it was small and the headstock had been professionally refinished nobody would touch it. I ended up getting it for $1500 myself, which was very hard to come up with in those days, and I sadly had to sell it for a stunning profit five years later to make a down payment on a house! The buyer, from eBay, wrote me to tell me how disappointed he was that he couldn't fit all the words he wanted to in the feedback section. So he bought three other cheap things from me so he could leave additional feedback about the 0-18. I swear, more than 200 people played that guitar in the store and most marveled at it but nobody would pay the price - and it was far below book value at the time.

I played it every day - it was amazing. When I shipped it to the buyer I was really proud to finally be buying my first home and all that, but it was hard to know I was feeling pride with those tears running down my face as I handed it to the FedEx girl.

The biggest insult was a guy who bought a Kramer Ferrington A/E because he felt it sounded way better than the 0-18. That was the day I decided to become antisocial. OK, maybe I was already a people hater, but that day really reinforced my decision!

Archived