Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 vs. Larrivee L-05

mjg

Has anyone ever compared these models? If so, what are the differences in tone and voice?

I see a lot of similarities, i.e., Mahogany/Sitka, round shoulders, close size and depth.

I will probably see what the Larrivee forum has to say as well - should be interesting.

Thanks,

Mike

In general, I would lean toward the Gibson simply because of the construction quality and consistency. The Larrivee in its present form - a youthful factory built guitar - suffers from the limitations of a focus on production. I have played some L-05s that had almost no D string for hammer ons, as an example, and others that had a really dead G. It was almost like nobody was tapping the tops or doing quality control, just shaving braces and getting it done before break etc.

I loved the Larrivee guitars when they were made in Victoria, B.C. Canada - my home town - and if you can find a seasoned one from there you have the real tater in your hands - but today's Larrivee is made with Jean doing the paperwork while the apprentices toil away at production and I would venture to guess that if you aren't plugging in, you will get tired of the Larrivee within six months.

If you are looking for a solid stage guitar, the Larrivee has to stay in the running. Its overall diminished resonance but excellent string separation are a sound man's delight. Feedback is very easy to manage, for example.

Good luck with your choice.

Go Gibson!!!!!!!!!

Archived