Gibson Brands Forums

Short scale Advanced Jumbo vs. regular Advanced Jumbo

guitar12

I am getting ready to buy an Advanced Jumbo and was ready to bid on on one on Ebay until I noticed a post here mentioning some short scale AJ at guitarsale.com. I have small hands and was thinking that the short scale would help with some reaches and make it easier to play. What are the downfalls of the short scale? I know the tension is less so you lose some volume but do you still get that Gibson thump that the AJ's do so well?

Also, anybody deal with guitarsale and have any thoughts? A couple of emails have gone unanswered in the last few days, guess I'll call them tomorrow.

Thanks. Rob

Personally, I find intonation isn't as tight on the short scale - but the feel is a personal taste issue.

I never recommend that people buy a guitar they have never played, because even our beloved Gibson's have some inconsistencies. If you can avoid an internet purchase and buy in a bricks and mortar store, I think it is always best.

If budget forces you to buy online, make sure there is an acceptable return policy and make sure that if you do have to return the first purchase, the shipping you are out will still leave you enough money to buy again.

this topic got some coverage in twlisons red spruce thread. but basicly, long scale=tighter and brighter. individual notes stand out. short scale, looser. more blend on chords, easier chokes. Also, what ballcorner said re sampling before buying.

I have a short scale AJ from guitarsale.com. I've had it a couple of years now & could not be more pleased with the guitar.

You will not find one of these at a bricks and mortar store. I would give them a call, & talk with them. They are very good to deal with

& have a good return policy.

If you choose to order from them let them know how you want the guitar set up, & they will set it up for you.

The only mistake I made was having them set up the guitar for light strings.

I later decided to install meds. I had to tweak the truss rod "slightly", but that was it.

I'm now considering a Mahogany model, which they carry also.

If the AJ is not as loud as a regular AJ it's not by much, at least to my ears!! This thing is a cannon.

Also I "think" they only have 1 left in rosewood

Archived