Gibson Brands Forums

Dazed and confused

ask28

Hi!!

Help me if you can. I have a '81 Gibson Custom Silverburst (would you believe I paid $600 including a 2x12 Galien-Kruger amp with larger magnets installed back in the day? Remember when you cold get a Custom Black Beauty for $500? Yes, I'm talking 25years ago...you do the math how much they will be worth in another 25!), but want to get either another Custom or Standard (premium plus would be sweet). Should I consider a Classic? I played my friend's Standard Faded tonight through a junky little Fender practice amp, and the sustain went on for days. It was so much lighter than mine. It felt like a

Tele in terms of weight. Should I steer clear of the chambered ones? Which year did they start doing that? Are there "better" years (like wine) for the wood?

There seems to be so many nice used guitars people are letting go for financial reasons, but a buddy who makes guitars says to buy new due to the fact that re-fretting bound necks is a nightmare and costly.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Hi!!

Help me if you can. I have a '81 Gibson Custom Silverburst (would you believe I paid $600 including a 2x12 Galien-Kruger amp with larger magnets installed back in the day? Remember when you cold get a Custom Black Beauty for $500? Yes' date=' I'm talking 25years ago...you do the math how much they will be worth in another 25!), but want to get either another Custom or Standard (premium plus would be sweet). Should I consider a Classic? I played my friend's Standard Faded tonight through a junky little Fender practice amp, and the sustain went on for days. It was so much lighter than mine. It felt like a

Tele in terms of weight. Should I steer clear of the chambered ones? Which year did they start doing that? Are there "better" years (like wine) for the wood?

There seems to be so many nice used guitars people are letting go for financial reasons, but a buddy who makes guitars says to buy new due to the fact that re-fretting bound necks is a nightmare and costly.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew[/quote']

I have both a Classic and the Standard Faded. I love the look of the Classic...very Jimmy Page-esque (my fav!). but the Standard simply sounds better.

The BB PROs have a delicious fat tone to them, whereas the ceramic in the Classic are way too hot (might swap them to the 57 Classics) a lot of the time.

Dont fret too much about a chambered Les Paul. I have played them both, and I must

say I much prefer the new style. Not only does it save my back muscles ( Jimmy Page slouched for a reason )

but the Burstbucker Pros seem the perfect match. I get all the warmth and sustain I need.

In fact, if I wasnt told the LP was chambered id never have known.

I'm in exactly the same boat as FennRx. I have a Classic that looks killer and sounds great, and a Std faded that sounds killer and looks great. The best of both worlds is a Classic with burstbuckers added, but the faded Standards are an amazing value (and some of them have tops that will hold their own with any LP). By the time you added new pickups to the Classic, you'd be about $1000 over the price of the faded.

Thanks for the feedback! You are great. As much as I would like to have the Carlos Santana guitar collection, it's just not in the budget. However, seeing as the Euro is so strong now (I have been living in Italy for 15 years, but spend the summers in Los Angeles), I have decided on purchasing an LP to take back with me. I agree; the faded is a steal at that price, but what can I say? I'm a sucker for those AAA tops!!! Would you believe I was actually looking into Supremes? The reason I decided against it was the problem accessing the insides.

You are right. The BBs really do have a delicious (exactly the right adjective!) tone. They make a minor league amp sound major.

I have been scouring Craig's list to see what is out there, and this summer will buy the one with my name on it. Now, should I go new or used?

Thanks for the feedback! You are great. As much as I would like to have the Carlos Santana guitar collection' date=' it's just not in the budget. However, seeing as the Euro is so strong now (I have been living in Italy for 15 years, but spend the summers in Los Angeles), I have decided on purchasing an LP to take back with me. I agree; the faded is a steal at that price, but what can I say? I'm a sucker for those AAA tops!!! Would you believe I was actually looking into Supremes? The reason I decided against it was the problem accessing the insides.

You are right. The BBs really do have a delicious (exactly the right adjective!) tone. They make a minor league amp sound major.

I have been scouring Craig's list to see what is out there, and this summer will buy the one with my name on it. Now, should I go new or used?

[/quote']

A lot of dealers charge 1599.99 fpr Tobacco Burst and 1999.99 for the other two finishes for the Les Paul Standard Faded. But zzounds.com has all 3 for 1599.99 and I didn't pay shipping or tax! And my Faded came with all of the case candy (pickguard, screws, truss tool, owners manual, Gibson inspection card).

I think it's funny how people on ebay want $1400-1600 dollars for a used Les Paul Standard Faded. If that's the best you can do for a used, then just buy new.

i agree with the ebay comment. i was looking for a lp a little while ago and i checked ebay just to look and i was surprised at how many were the same price or even more than new ones from a reputable store! i would have to find one heck of a deal to buy from ebay with all the horror stories floating around but then i'd be afraid something was wrong with it due to the low price! i'm amazed at how many people buy from ebay!

I hope no one minds, but I borrowed a couple photos from the old forum.

I agree; the faded is a steal at that price' date=' but what can I say? I'm a sucker for those AAA tops!!![/quote']

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with the tops on these faded LPs, but maybe that's just me...

Gibson3.jpg

1d6bd8e0.jpg

Archived