Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 True Vintage

Space Pup

Gibson truely hit the nail on the head when they introduced the True Vintage series of acoustic guitars. The True Vintage series currently consists if the SJ-200, J-185, Hummingbird, J-45 and the Southern Jumbo. My review will deal with the J-45 only since I just added it to my collection.

The J-45 True Vintage combines a Honduran Mahogany body & neck, Select Sitka Spruce top, and Madagascar Rosewood fretboard & bridge to prodeuce a guitar that has a rich, mellow, and balanced tone with crisp highs that give off that classic Gibson jangle. Strumming the J-45 True Vintage I quickly noticed how the chords flow smoothly one to another without any cross blending or piling on top of each other. This produces a vintage tone that shines on songs like "The Narrow Way, Part 1" and "Like a Rolling Stone". The 24.75" scale not only makes both flat and finger picking a breeze but allows each note to ring out full and clear. This Literally brings songs like "Kind Hearted Woman" to life. The "cursive" Gibson logo and "Only a Gibson is Good Enough" banner on the headstock along with the brown case with pink liner complete the True Vintage effect. The only drawback I could find is that the J-45 True Vintage does not have a pick up so for those of you who record or play live the J-45 True Vintage will require an external mic.

The J-45 True Vintage is the perfect guitar for those of us who love the classic Gibson sound but can't afford a real 1940's Gibson. It's easy to see why the J-45 has such a devotion among players as the "go to" guitar for the studio as well as the stage and why artists from all styles of music have given the J-45 the nickname "The Workhorse". If you get a chance to play the J-45 True Vintage, I'm sure you'll find it to be nothing short of a real tone monster.

Archived