Gibson Brands Forums

Orange Label meaning?

roadhog96

kaicho8888,

Thanks for the link but it's refering to vintage sereis guitars. What I have is an 06 Memphis ES-335 Dot with the orange label inside. I had read, not sure where, that it meant it was built in the Custom Shop. If this is true, how come the back of the headstock dosen't have the Custom Shop decal, no Custom Shop case, or COA certificate.

no decal is correct for this guitar...the case should have had a Custom Shop logo' date=' and you should have received a COA. [/quote']

Well the things you find out when you ask questions. I didn't get a certificate, Custom Shop case, or truss rod wrench, just a Gibson hardshell case. It came from GC, new. I had them order me a new one, they are going to take this one back. Thanks for the info, it just stopped someone from getting screwed over.

no decal is correct for this guitar...the case should have had a Custom Shop logo' date=' and you should have received a COA. The orange label is just something Gibson has used for decades on semi-hollow and archtop guitars. it doesn't have any special significance beyond that...[/quote']

A COA on an ES335?

Is that correct?

How long has that been the case?

Sounds to me that your 335 is a USA model not a CS though it may have been made there.

USA's have no COA or CS case.

I think your right, it's made in USA in the Memphis Custom Shop, comes with a Custom Shop case but isn't a Custom Shop guitar????????? COA comes with or without????????? Who knows?

• 9 months later...

I think your right' date=' it's made in USA in the Memphis Custom Shop, comes with a Custom Shop case but isn't a Custom Shop guitar????????? COA comes with or without????????? Who knows?[/quote']

All ES-335 Gibsons are Custom Shops now. This means that it's the same people who build all ES-335s - from the EC to the Reissue 59. It's as simple as that! And they all come with COA, Custom case and custom shop case candy. The fretboards are pleked too and generally very nicely dressed.

MMMMnyeah - notsomuch. The EC models and some other special jobs and artist's special orders are done in the original Nashville Custom Shop. The Memphis facility is under the same part of the corporate umbrella as the Custom Shop operation so all the ES guitars coming out of Gibson Memphis are considered Custom Shop guitars (hence the gold case logo). I don't believe that any ES-335's are being produced in the main "Gibson USA" factory.

• 1 month later...

Archived