Gibson Brands Forums

1998 Les Paul Special

d3singh

Hello,

I am thinking about buying a Gibson Les Paul, and I have the Les Paul Special being offered, it is 1998 model, the serial number is 93298378. My question is how much is this guitar worth brand new?

Appreciate any input, thanks.

New Les Paul Specials (various models):

http://www.google.com/products?q=Gibson+Les+Paul+Special&btnG=Search+Products&hl=en

As for a new 1998, I'd watch Ebay and see if one pops up that turned up from sitting around in a stock room.

Is this the guitar?

http://hartford.craigslist.org/msg/720053324.html

The pictures aren't very clear but if it's in good shape, I'd say it's worth $850.

That link with all the new prices is misleading. The only LP Specials currently available (other than the MF Exclusive) are the VOS Custom Shop models. That's why they're all a couple thousand dollars and up. The Special you're talking about is similar to the '95 I just bought a couple weeks ago. They sell all the time on ebay in the $700 to $800 range. In fact, you'll find a lot that don't sell at all with opening bids of $699. I overpaid for mine because it had Lindy Fralin replacement pick-ups in it, and I don't mind paying a bit of a premium for buying locally so I can try before I buy. I paid $1000.

lps02.jpg

BTW, here's the MF exclusive for $1499.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Les-Paul-Special-Electric-Guitar-with-P90-and-Gloss-Finish?sku=513828

GuitarJunkie, can you tell me how many leads are on the p100s? I've read the hum canceling coils can be tapped and thrown out of phase for a few different sounds but they need the four leads. I would appreciate it.

That's exactly what I had in mind' date=' in natural Mahogany. Why do they call it Cherry?

I've been looking at them for years.

I would have liked to buy a pair - one with P-90's (or 100's) and one with humbuckers.

Our oldest boy (19) has one in the Faded finish and loves it. (First LP....)

I hate the way it looks and feels, but it does play and sound great.

I'm not sure what the differences are, but barring a few pricey exceptions in recent years, they are not worth more than $700. Evidently these new ones are something special? What justifies the doubled price?

Of course, getting your hands on a pristine example of an older used guitar can alter that.....

I've payed too much for a few guitars, knowing exactly what I was doing, simply because it was [b']damned nice[/b]!

GuitarJunkie' date=' can you tell me how many leads are on the p100s? I've read the hum canceling coils can be tapped and thrown out of phase for a few different sounds but they need the four leads. I would appreciate it.[/quote']

It already had the Fralins when I got it, so I can't really help you.

Archived