• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why I Like This Forum

#1 User is offline   InsideMan 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:10 AM

I like this forum because it celebrates the (mostly) affordable guitar.

When I was younger (I am immensely old), if you were on a budget, you could buy one of the "second tier" Gibsons and at least have a playable--if no frills--guitar on which to learn. There was the Melody Maker, the Les Paul Jr, the ES-125--basically anything with a gold-stenciled "Gibson" on the headstock. Even some of the first tier models were accessible if you saved a little. Then they discovered the "collectible" guitar. Suddenly, there were no cheap used guitars available--they were all collector's items.

There is a lot of mystique about the older cheap models. But some of them were just cheap guitars. In many ways, the budget models of today are much better guitars. The hardware is better (than the old 2nd tier models), the wood is often better, the actions are better, the fretwork is better. But they have the "stigma" of being foreign-manufactured "knock-offs". Which gets me back to why I like this forum.

There is a wealth of insight in the people who contribute to this forum--from the threads I've read so far. All of this makes it much easier for the new player than it was for me when I bought my first 335 as a teen from a young sailor who was shipping out and wanted the cash. Thanks for, and please continue, the interesting discussions. Cheers.
"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line." - Oscar Levant

#2 User is offline   sexygibson 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationRock Hill,S.C.

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:52 AM

Welcome InsideMan. This is a great forum and alot of knowledgeable guys around here. Good to have you.

#3 User is offline   TWANG 

• TWANG amps guards etc.
  • Locationminnesota

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:15 AM

I agree.
Of course there were some pretty neat less expensive guitars around.
But there was also ten times more outright junk.
And very little by way of hard factual information sharing. In fact, I remember mostly aggressive non information sharing.
Competition!

With the internet we're seeing people's opinions held to the light, and we're also seeing a lot more sharing of same.
It's a good thing.

I certainly don't miss my first guitar, or my first bass.
And I can compare many I owned later to what I have now, and what's out there, and find the old ones somewhat lacking, if not put down outright.

I think this is much more fun. And I like the idea that younger players are able to get around local competitiveness and learn faster and better
both about playing and gear..
TWANG

#4 User is offline   FirstMeasure 

• Rock-n-Roll Proselytizer
  • LocationSouther California Mountains

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:23 AM

Right there with you guys on that.

I like guitar forums in general for the exchange of info and general conversation with like minded people, at least about music.

The Epiphone Forum is really nice cause I love the quality Guitars at a working musicians price. I like Epi's and Made In Mexico Fenders for the most part and here at the Epiphone Forum most people are very relaxed and really cool to.

I love Epi's but I'm only just now really getting into them, so I came to this here forum to learn mor about the history and lore and holy grails and all. It's very interesting, I think I'll stay.
Attention, emergency news! Godzilla is going toward the Ginza area!

My Band

That's the thing, do you recognize the Bells of Truth when you hear 'em ring? Stop and listen to the Children Sing!

#5 User is offline   jack j 

• LocationPerris (Riverside County), CA

Posted 13 September 2017 - 07:38 PM

I completely agree with all that's been said. I really came to appreciate the Epiphone brand through there acoustic models. I own several (even a really nice little L-00-ish blues machine). I know the brand is known for being an economical alternative to the over-priced first-tier brands, but many people don't realize the quality of the Epiphone brand. Also, the history of Epiphone as a direct, and quite successful, competitor to Gibson. I recently acquired an Epiphone Dot Studio and I'm completely amazed at the quality of electric guitar that virtually anyone can afford. There was NOTHING like that available when I was young. Sure you could find brands like Teisco and others at Sears and Montgomery Ward. They had lots of switches and knobs, but were pretty much unplayable. Thank goodness for Epiphone! Jack
Playing for an audience of One

#6 User is offline   crust 

• Epiphone Enthusiast
  • LocationBrockton, Massachusetts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:49 PM

Epiphone=best guitars...ever imho Posted Image
And this forum Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

:)

#7 User is offline   crust 

• Epiphone Enthusiast

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:50 PM

lol @ "case"

#8 User is offline   crust 

• Epiphone Enthusiast

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:57 PM

View PostInsideMan, on 16 February 2009 - 11:10 AM, said:

I like this forum because it celebrates the (mostly) affordable guitar.

When I was younger (I am immensely old), if you were on a budget, you could buy one of the "second tier" Gibsons and at least have a playable--if no frills--guitar on which to learn. There was the Melody Maker, the Les Paul Jr, the ES-125--basically anything with a gold-stenciled "Gibson" on the headstock. Even some of the first tier models were accessible if you saved a little. Then they discovered the "collectible" guitar. Suddenly, there were no cheap used guitars available--they were all collector's items.

There is a lot of mystique about the older cheap models. But some of them were just cheap guitars. In many ways, the budget models of today are much better guitars. The hardware is better (than the old 2nd tier models), the wood is often better, the actions are better, the fretwork is better. But they have the "stigma" of being foreign-manufactured "knock-offs". Which gets me back to why I like this forum.

There is a wealth of insight in the people who contribute to this forum--from the threads I've read so far. All of this makes it much easier for the new player than it was for me when I bought my first 335 as a teen from a young sailor who was shipping out and wanted the cash. Thanks for, and please continue, the interesting discussions. Cheers.

well, right on :) '
still got the 335 ? any Epiphones ? (I suppose you may ) Others ?
any pictures you may be willing to share ?
and

welcome :) don't be a "stranger" :)

#9 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:50 AM

Why I like this forum is the cool people!

#10 User is offline   Whitefang 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLincoln Park, MI (home of the MC5!)

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:46 AM

Well, this forum's changed since I first joined back in 2000-2001, but mostly in it's look and scope. Not in how cool the other members are. But back some time ago, some issues caused me not to participate long enough to where I had to "re-register" to be able to join in any discussions. That's why my date is much later than I've just mentioned.

I first joined for basically the same reason. I'm not a working musician. In fact, I'm a retired autoworker and really don't work at all! ;)

Just around the house a bit now and then.

But, I've been the proud owner of an acoustic Epiphone FT-145 since '72. My only other guitar is a now 9 year old Washburn 12 string, bought mostly because it was priced lower than any available Epiphone 12's at the time. And any other make that was as cheap or lower priced wasn't worth HALF that, so.....

But what I like about the "lounge" page is many "off-topic" discussions are welcome too. We don't always have to dicuss our guitars or our "gigs" and for limited owners and personal payers like me, it can be a lot of fun. I'm a daily(sometimes twice daily) contributor to the two games here( "famous musicians" and "song association") and check in to see what I can add to any other topics going on here.

So...."set a spell"! We're glad you could join us :)
Whitefang

#11 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 14 September 2017 - 05:36 AM

Yeah my date is earlier though only by a couple of years I think.

You've been here a really long time WF!

#12 User is offline   crust 

• Epiphone Enthusiast

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:08 PM

II find it extremely "cool" and quite interesting, talking, jibber-jabbering about our guitars, life in general, weather, latest guitar, various "tunes" and personalities". I thank Digger...and all for participating, sharing his, and your time "batting the breeze" Some very knowledgeable musicians, talented...stop by here, and I appreciate their "insight" , historical , as well as non -historical "discussions" about Epiphone guitars (as well as others) polite, civil, interesting, occasionally quite humerus as well as sad, "riveting" learning experience. "Talking shop" with others, from the other side of the world, from me :) .Yep, I can dig it :) right on :) Posted Image
:) :) :)

I think we can all agree , from wherever we call "home"...we love our Epiphones...am I correct ? I do believe I am :) :) :)

#13 User is offline   crust 

• Epiphone Enthusiast

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:52 PM

The first Epiphone I ever obtained, was a black LP Special II, around year 1998, or so , I didn't "join" the forums then, but obtaining that particular instrument (even though it is a "starter"/student" guitar )...well, I kind of realized you don't need to spend big $$ to obtain a fine instrument. Some scoff, but, to me. Epiphone guitars (and amplifiers ) suit me just fine ...to a "T" oh yes they do :)..I've not been the same since :) With an Epiphone guitar (s) things are much better :) dig it ? I do :)

you ?

#14 User is offline   crust 

• Epiphone Enthusiast

Posted 14 September 2017 - 09:07 PM

my second Epiphone, about 2002...I was ecstatic when I obtained, as well as the amp :) ...still am...the Ecstasy hasn't worn off , no not that "extacy" ... Posted Image ...but I do get a bit "high" when I play this thing :) ...exuberantly elated, actually...thats "high" enough for me :) :) these days Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Whitefang 

• Advanced Member

Posted 15 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

Sure. With an axe like that it's easy to understand your sustained exuberance. ;)
Whitefang

#16 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Lunatic Fringe

Posted 15 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

View PostDigger, on 14 September 2017 - 12:50 AM, said:

Why I like this forum is the cool people!

[biggrin] Yeah, I used to hang out here, the most...back when the Gibson forum was not monitored, and was a
"mine field" of very opinionated, and down right rude individuals! But, that's all changed, several years ago,
now. So I hang out, in both forums, more or less equal time. Just depends (now) on what's happening, or not,
in each forum. I think we all go through phases, where we're here or there, a lot...then, take a break or just
have other more pressing "Life" issues, to deal with.

But, this and the Gibson forum, are both nice places, these days, and both very informative, and actually quite
civil, for Internet forums. [flapper] [biggrin]

CB

#17 User is offline   Digger 

• Resident Old Fart
  • LocationS.E. Australia

Posted 15 September 2017 - 05:39 PM

View Postcharlie brown, on 15 September 2017 - 04:48 PM, said:

[biggrin] Yeah, I used to hang out here, the most...back when the Gibson forum was not monitored, and was a
"mine field" of very opinionated, and down right rude individuals! But, that's all changed, several years ago,
now. So I hang out, in both forums, more or less equal time. Just depends (now) on what's happening, or not,
in each forum. I think we all go through phases, where we're here or there, a lot...then, take a break or just
have other more pressing "Life" issues, to deal with.

But, this and the Gibson forum, are both nice places, these days, and both very informative, and actually quite
civil, for Internet forums. [flapper] [biggrin]

CB

It really was the Wild West back then CB wasn't it and we've both lived through a couple of major exoduses which saw many good members leave and not come back.

I've tried to work out how long I've been hanging around here but my memory isn't that good and I'm not sure now. It was probably a couple of years before this new format started, so 10 years or more I guess.

I need to get a life!

I regret that over the years I've lost touch with people I've really liked but people change, their circumstances change too and they sort of drift away....sadly.

Crusty we like that you spend time with us too mate, it's certainly not one way!

#18 User is offline   Retired 

• The Ham bone is connected to the ........
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 September 2017 - 11:34 PM

Welcome inside man. Glad you like it here, I agree. I bought my first guitar when I retired from the Railroad May 2013. I played as a teen, 13. My cousin taught me who played in a band. But sold everything when I married. Wish I had a few of those guitars back. So I took a long break from 26 to 60 on playing. I just happened to wonder in Guitar Center and saw a used Gibson Gold Top on the wall and asked if they could take it down for me. It looked brand new in mint condition and I thought it looked like a Standard. GC had a sale price on it for $1,400.00 bucks and I thought it was too good to let go. They told me it was a 2013 but after I bought it I was chased down in the parking lot and a employee wanted to buy it back. So I Emailed Gibson and they informed me it was a 2007 GT Standard that sold for $3,445.00 new that year. Then I stumbled on the Gibson Board and joined. I mainly posted in the Gibson lounge and introduction because at that time I didn't own other guitars except for a acoustic Fender. Once my wife bought me a Epiphone black Standard guitar for my birthday I checked out the Epiphone lounge. Very nice people and I liked the off guitar shop conversations also. Since I just play at home and mainly to keep my mind sharp trying to learn more songs as dementia seems to run in my family. Playing the guitar and playing Chess games seem to help do that. There are times though I go upstairs to get something and get there and wonder why the heck I went up there? I do believe for the price that Epiphone guitars are just as nice as Gibson. I was mainly surprised how well my Epiphone plays and sounds, and stays in tune better then my Gibson. It was less then $400.00
Herman

#19 User is offline   Whitefang 

• Advanced Member

Posted 16 September 2017 - 05:08 AM

I hope you told that guy, "No sale!"
Whitefang

#20 User is offline   charlie brown 

• Lunatic Fringe

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

View PostDigger, on 15 September 2017 - 05:39 PM, said:

It really was the Wild West back then CB wasn't it and we've both lived through a couple of major exoduses which saw many good members leave and not come back.

I've tried to work out how long I've been hanging around here but my memory isn't that good and I'm not sure now. It was probably a couple of years before this new format started, so 10 years or more I guess.

I need to get a life!

I regret that over the years I've lost touch with people I've really liked but people change, their circumstances change too and they sort of drift away....sadly.

Crusty we like that you spend time with us too mate, it's certainly not one way!

Yes, Digger, it really was! [tongue] [rolleyes] SO GLAD, they took care of that aspect! I suppose, in some instances,
they may have gone a bit overboard, but I think it's pretty balanced, these days. And, the members do a good job, too,
of policing them/ourselves, and don't let things get too "hostile-crazy" these days. "Fun Crazy" is fine! But, those old
"Wild West" days, were really too much of the Hostile crazy, and totally counterproductive, IMHO.

CB

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users