Gibson Brands Forums

My youtube demo Epiphone les paul plus top peter green mod

fenderl

Nice playing dude. nice gutar too. Dont know what the peter green mod is but sounds good anyway.

1 thing tho? Isnt your neck pickup round the wrong way? My pole peices are in a diff place to yours? I thought they were suppose to be as close to the fretboard as possible?

Yeah i do like the after sound. Very nice. Still confused by the neck pickup oreintation?

Peter Green' date=' as I'm sure you know, was one of the great blues players of the late '60s. He formed Fleetwood Mac and made them into a legendary blues band. You should listen to [i']Man of the World[/i], Albatross, Need Your Love So Bad and other early Mac stuff - some amazing playing.

Peter Green's main guitar was a '59 Les Paul. It had an especially nasal tone, and led some to speculate that a metal plate had been inserted under the bridge. In fact, the tone was caused by an accidental home-made modification. Peter had removed the pick-ups for some reason, and had re-inserted the neck pick-up the wrong way around.

Normal orientation of Les Paul pick-ups:

567176.jpg

Peter Green's Les Paul:

Lemon_Drop%20007_4.jpg

Tragically, Peter Green drank too much of the magic Kool Aid and ended up like Syd Barrett and other '60s acid victims. He dropped out of sight for years, without him Fleetwood Mac ended up as a cheesy soft-rock outfit, and Green's famous

Les Paul passed to Gary Moore at the time Peter Green quit:

156702696_e530b01eea.jpg?v=0

Peter Green has had something of a comeback. He played in the "Splinter Group" in the late '90s / early '00s. But to sample his very best work, try John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers A Hard Road, or the early Fleetwood Mac albums Mr Wonderful and Then Play On. On his day he was majestic - greater than Clapton. Try these, for example:

Incidentally, Gary Moore sold the famous Les Paul a few years ago. The rumor is that it sold in a private sale for anywhere between $500K and $1.2M. Subsequentally, it has been sold on again. I find it curious that it is always advertized and sold as the "Peter Green Les Paul," given that Gary Moore owned it for decades and Peter Green owned it for 4 or 5 years at most. Perhaps that is the effect of Peter's accidental pick-up mod?!

Archived