Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone model 6730 questions

conn6H

Hi

first post here.

I have spotted a narrow waist Epiphone acoustic (maybe a 00 size?). The label inside says Kalamazoo, and the model # indicated is 6730.

Is this truly a USA made Epi? Is anyone here familiar with this particular model?

I like small body guitars for sitting around the house working on songs. They may not be the loudest and the tone may not be as full and deep as with a dread, but they are easy on the shoulder.

The pawn shop is asking $175 and he said he'd come down to $165. But I know these pawn shop guys well enough. If I walk in there and put cash on the counter, he'll come down even more.

It is in good condition, but the neck (it has a truss rod) needs to be tweaked some in order to get the action a little lower.

Opinions? The label looks legit.

Thanks!

Okay, now I am really confused! Googling this model #, I see a lot of results that read "model 2630 Jumbo". This is no jumbo, that is for sure. The body shape is similar to the Martin 00-18 Clapton model.

Hi

first post here.

I have spotted a narrow waist Epiphone acoustic (maybe a 00 size?). The label inside says Kalamazoo' date=' and the model # indicated is 6730.

Is this truly a USA made Epi? Is anyone here familiar with this particular model?

I like small body guitars for sitting around the house working on songs. They may not be the loudest and the tone may not be as full and deep as with a dread, but they are easy on the shoulder.

The pawn shop is asking $175 and he said he'd come down to $165. But I know these pawn shop guys well enough. If I walk in there and put cash on the counter, he'll come down even more.

It is in good condition, but the neck (it has a truss rod) needs to be tweaked some in order to get the action a little lower.

Opinions? The label looks legit.

Thanks!

Okay, now I am really confused! Googling this model #, I see a lot of results that read "model 2630 Jumbo". This is no jumbo, that is for sure. The body shape is similar to the Martin 00-18 Clapton model.[/quote']

Bolt on neck, right??? Sounds like an early '70s Matsumoku (Aria) made in Japan. No Gibson made USA Epiphone would have a bolt on neck.

Check out this thread:

early '70s Epiphone acoustics

If the action is high, be careful. A lot of the bolt-ons suffer from bad neck pockets. Make sure it's structurally sound. If everything checks OK, offer $150 tops. Less if it's not in really, really good condition.

PS - Welcome to the Camp

Thanks for the reply.

So what is up with the label reading Kalamazoo? Do people bother faking labels to con people?

Oh well. it looked like a nice little banger. I guess I'll make do with my Yamaha FG 110!

So what is up with the label reading Kalamazoo? Do people bother faking labels to con people?

No it's not counterfeit' date=' those are the labels they used. Epiphone's corporate headquarters were in Kalamazoo at the time, so it is technically accurate. Usually, they would ink stamp the labels [i']Made in Japan[/i] and block out the Union Made. My guess is that the used up the old labels, but even my 1982 MIJ Sheraton says Epiphone a Division of Gibson Inc. Kalamazoo Michigan, but since it was made for the Japanese market, there was no MIJ marking.

sherry%20label.jpg

Epi6732.jpg

Actually, by the time the 6xxx models, precurors to the FT Norlin series, Kalamazoo was being abandoned for Gibson's new digs in Nashville and Epi production was moved to Japan. The words Kalamazoo was just a name of a town in Michigan . I have seen some labels that appear to have no 'made In' in the lower margin. Most say Made In Japan or had the Union Made blacked out as shown above.

These can be truely wonderful sounder guitars. They have a weak neck block and you should check to see if it needs to be re-set, glued and reinforced. Make your offer accordingly.

Here: http://forums.epiphone.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=1100 is my tutorial for diagnosing the problem and fixing it.

Archived