Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD - 12 string version

Vic Flick

Couldn't wait for the Roy Orbee, so I went to the Carvin store and picked me up one of these:

l_0b10f5980c5e4b488e6161423e340915.jpg

Carvin C980T-12

Here's the spec:

construction cutaway jumbo body w/ X-bracing, set neck w/ dovetail neck joint

scale length 25.4"

body rosewood back & sides with AA solid spruce top, gloss finish, abalone sound hole purfling & body trim

neck solid mahogany, satin finish

fingerboard bound rosewood

headstock 6 X 6 traditional bound rosewood w/ inlaid Carvin logo

inlays abalone diamonds

hardware gold

bridge rosewood w/ ebony endpins

tuners Grover™ full-size Rotomatics, 18:1 ratio

frets 20 medium acoustic, .078 wide X .043 tall

pickup Fishman Matrix

electronics Fishman Prefix Plus-T with built-in tuner

dimensions 41" long overall, 20" long body, 16.3" wide body, 4.75" thick body

I'm going to string it up with new strings, a little lighter gauge, but even with the heavier strings it played nice and easy, really great action. The Carvin acoustics are not made in SoCal, they are imported from Korea. From what I understand, they are made by Parkwood (Cort). Once I get it restrung, I'll comment on the tone.

I'm going to string it up with new strings' date=' a little lighter gauge, but even with the heavier strings it played nice and easy, really great action. The Carvin acoustics are not made in SoCal, they are imported from Korea. From what I understand, they are made by Parkwood (Cort). Once I get it restrung, I'll comment on the tone.

[/quote']

OK, acoustically it sounds magnificent, deep and rich but still chimey at the same time. Extremely well balanced, I think the Rosewood helps round out the 12-string tone and keeps it from being too harsh. Great projection, you can hear it coming a mile away!!!

I just gave it a quick run through on my acoustic amp, sounds good but nowhere near the versatility of the dual Shadow system on the Masterbilt.

I don't think I have ever played an acoustic 12-string that plays as good as this one does. Really a pleasure to play. Neck is a little wider across the nut than I like, but it has a nice thin profile that makes it comfortable to play. I'm already getting use to the width of the neck, and the wider string spacing helps on the 12-string.

Archived