Gibson Brands Forums

So what's the scoop on the AJ?

AndrewG

At the beginning of each year, Gibson determines how many of each regular production model they will make throughout the year. Since they are a fairly small manufacturer (putting out approximately 65 per working day), they have to limit their production.

After they announced their yearly production projection last year, one major dealership contracted to purchase all of them.

The last information that I had indicated that the AJ is still being produced, but it is only available through their Five Star Dealers. You can also custom order one and they will build it.

I beleive Guitar Center has all the production cornered on AJs, there are 3 GCs here in town and each has two of 'em on display in their acoustic rooms. You need to examine stuff at GC carefully as they let anyone bang on their instruments, plenty of hugh belt buckles and clanging bracelets to damage your future purchase.

Besides the GC/MF and related family of dealers, some 5 Star Dealers may also have AJs. Fuller's Vintage Intruments in Houston, TX has the regular production AJs, as well as thier own exclusive model. They sell online, and ship to US adresses for free.

Red 333

I was able to order my AJ from the local rep. I had the same question about why it was not on the website and was told it was now considered a custom shop model - special order only. This forum is the only place I have heard that the model is ordered up by five star dealers. The fact that you can buy them online from places like Musician's Friend suggests the model is not perhaps as rare as we might think.

I own a lot of guitars. I would recommend the AJ to anyone playing any style because it is the best all-around guitar I own. I can play fingerstyle, flat pick or strum it and I am happy with the results. Yes, I own guitars that are better at each individual task - but as an overall guitar this one is the prime choice.

This is the guitar I play every day.

Last week there was one on clearance (brand new) at the GC in Mobile' date=' AL for either $1,499 or $1,599, can't remember exactly. I would have bought it on the spot but I already have one... not sure if it's still there... Same clearance price on a Rosewood L4-A too...[/quote']

I saw a few AJs for $1599 at the GCs here in metro Dallas, too. Older J45s (the model before the TV and MC designations were given) were about the same price, too (though all the ones I saw were shop worn). I also saw L4-As on sale, and remember they were also on sale last year at the same time.

You can get some good buys after the holidays.

I saw a few AJs for $1599 at the GCs here in metro Dallas' date=' too. Older J45s (the model before the TV and MC designations were given) were about the same price, too (though all the ones I saw were shop worn). I also saw L4-As on sale, and remember they were also on sale last year at the same time.

You can get some good buys after the holidays.[/quote']

That AJ would cost you over $3700 in the UK (£1800 approx.).

So' date=' with the exchange rate these days, you can get a U.S. vacation and take home an AJ for the price of getting one "over there"...

Sounds like you can't afford not to do that![/quote']

Lucky I got mine when I did but, yes, for a prospective buyer traveling to America and bringing home a peach is definitely a great money-saving option.

American guitars here are typically twice the US dollar cost.

That AJ would cost you over $3700 in the UK (£1800 approx.).

Here in Canada they were running $3000 plus tax before the US dollar dipped. I bought mine in November 2006 for $2399 plus 15% tax and that was actually a really good deal for here. I was actually prepared to pay the $3000 plus tax - the fact that it was on sale was just a bonus.

Archived