Gibson Brands Forums

Ever heard of brownsville guitars?

lpfan

I've never heard of them, but for that price, I'd say go for it, if it's crap you can always sell it again. I've always wanted a pinstriped guitar myself, I think it's be a pretty good slide machine, that nice resonant semi hollow sound, with some cool pinstripes. Could even throw some GFS Mean 90s or similar into it, still a pretty cheap guitar.

Actually I recall seeing a Brownsville for sale here recently. It was constructed much like a Danelectro I think and it was semi hollow, but with no F holes. Looks a lot like the one that larkin posted.

Besides that I know nothing about them, but I still reckon for that measly amount of coin you can't go wrong.

Walked into a Sam Ash store about 2 years ago and the Brownsvilles were hanging everywhere...think maybe it is SA's store brand...didn't look to bad and felt ok, another asian knock off and more than likely made in one of the same factories as the older Epis, and all the other imports.

Capt

Our guitarist used to play a Brownsville just like the one for auction until it developed a very serious crack in the neck. It was before I was in the band so I dont know a lot about the guitar. He said it was a cheapie but he really liked the guitar alot. For $90 I think it is worth it.

Find any Sam Ash catalog from 2005 and it's loaded with them. They sold them alongside the Carlo Robelli brand as their 'house brand' for a few years. I actually thought Micheal Kelly guitars were the replacement for the Carlo Robelli name ( one came in as the other shuffled out..) but it wasn't to be. Most of the Brownsville guitars were made at Daewon China's Rally factory that produces dozens of OEM names, including Epiphone. I got a Brownsville Mini travel guitar at Sam Ash free back in 2006 with my purchase of over $250 (they used to give ya free stuff, remember that?) Turns out it was the same thing Hofner sells as the 'Shorty'.

Damn good little guitar that had a hot pickup and never went out of tune.

After I got more guitars, I actually gave it to a buddy of mine that loved the radio and jammin to it, but had nothing more than an old Kay Bee Toy plastic acoustic guitar with 4 strings. I felt so sorry for him. He worked so hard and had literally nothing. I gave him the Shorty and a tiny handheld Marshall amp for Christmas in 2007. Enough to get him started. That was a gift worth giving.

After I got more guitars' date=' I actually gave it to a buddy of mine that loved the radio and jammin to it, but had nothing more than an old Kay Bee Toy plastic acoustic guitar with 4 strings. I felt so sorry for him. He worked so hard and had literally nothing. I gave him the Shorty and a tiny handheld Marshall amp for Christmas in 2007. Enough to get him started. That was a gift worth giving.

[/quote']

You're a good friend. That was a nice thing to do.

Red 333

After I got more guitars' date=' I actually gave it to a buddy of mine that loved the radio and jammin to it, but had nothing more than an old Kay Bee Toy plastic acoustic guitar with 4 strings. I felt so sorry for him. He worked so hard and had literally nothing. I gave him the Shorty and a tiny handheld Marshall amp for Christmas in 2007. Enough to get him started. That was a gift worth giving.[/quote']

Thats awesome! I wish everybody was as generous as you were. This world would be alot better off.

I don't know if anyone remembers this post but I think MIDIMan56 posted a link to a craigslist add and they had a guitar in this style with awesome pinstriping. It was around Las Vegas. Thats what I wanted to do with this guitar.

Thanks for the info guys!

• 7 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...