Gibson Brands Forums

Six string "El Segundo" acoustic? Or, do I have a counterfeit guitar?

drett

Just bought an Epiphone Jumbo cutaway acoustic for dirt cheap from a guy on Craigslist and can't find a lick of info on it online. The model number is SJ 15 VS, the serial number tells me it was made in China in 2002 (according to the Guitar Dater Project), and the truss rod cover reads "El Segundo." The only El Segundo's online are cheapo basses, so I'm wondering a couple things: might this be a counterfeit (there are no markers on the back of the headstock, only in the soundhole and the pickguard doesn't have the characteristic epiphone "E")? If it's legit, it must be part of some kind of brief run. Any idea as to original msrp? By the way, I swear the Spruce top is solid. The grain on the edge of the soundhole very clearly goes all the way through.

I'll post some pics in case anyone's interested.

CIMG3697.jpg

CIMG3699.jpg

CIMG3704.jpg

You are correct the "El Segundo" is an Epiphone flat-topped acoustic bass. The truss rod cover is definitely out of place. Doesn't even look right on the head stock. Too black.. or something. I suspect it is not original to this guitar. This body shape looks more like a El Capitan.. but that really doesn't make much difference. The guard might not be original, but it looks fine and functional. The installer sould have rotated it around the sound hole a bit to get the edge off the purfling.

Plug you serial number into the Epiphone page of http://www.guitardaterproject.org/

It comes up Zaozhuang Saehan, China

Other than the truss rod cover, it appears to be legit.

I suspect a SJ15 is a stripped down version of a EJ100, which it appears to be. There are a lot of sub 100 model numbers vis: AJ10/ AJ90, flat-top guit tars being marketed by various vendors on line and off that are not shown on Epiphone's product page.

Counterfeit a $100-$200 Epiphone? Not likely. There isn't enough money in it.

I think what you bought is a SJ15 (A first for me, but it doesn't surprise me), buit in China in 2002. Someone lost the truss rod cover, then replaced it with one they had lying around that came off an Epiphone flat-top bass. And.. replaced the pick guard in an amateurish fashion.

For comparison, Musician's Friend has a player pack that includes a DR90S for $200.00, new, out the door. (MSRP $332)

Unless you payed several hundred dollars, I'd say you didn't get hurt too bad.

Thank for the info, TommyK.

I picked the thing up for $50 (with gig bag, a couple sets of Martin strings, a capo, and two slides), so even if it is a fake, it was well worth it, since it is set up pretty well, stays in tune well (has Grovers), and is fret buzz free. A perfect campfire guitar. So I'm actually pretty happy with it despite the inconsistencies.

By the way, would you expect a budget model like this to have a solid top? I'm not a wood expert, but that grain looks very clearly like it goes all the way through at the soundhole.

• 3 months later...

weird it's called a VS but it's natural color! Maybe it was a screw up at the factory that somehow slipped out! Nice guitar either way! i kind of like the El Segundo truss rod cover on it lol. Not surpirsed if it was solid top, the DR-200S is pretty cheap and the DR-90S is peanuts. Even the Hummingbird artist doesn't cost all that much! I'd have paid $100 for yours easy

We have seen one of these before with the same truss rod cover and yes it was a El Segundo, and as Tommy has said it was very similar to the EJ but I think it was a 200 with a solid top, and the pick guard doesn't look right as if someone has replaced it later down the road or might not have come with one original one.Ship .... a great price for it though so I would think its a real Epiphone and for that price you robbed the guy, good on you.Ship

Just bought an Epiphone Jumbo cutaway acoustic for dirt cheap from a guy on Craigslist and can't find a lick of info on it online. The model number is SJ 15 VS' date=' the serial number tells me it was made in China in 2002 (according to the Guitar Dater Project), and the truss rod cover reads "El Segundo." The only El Segundo's online are cheapo basses, so I'm wondering a couple things: might this be a counterfeit (there are no markers on the back of the headstock, only in the soundhole and the pickguard doesn't have the characteristic epiphone "E")? If it's legit, it must be part of some kind of brief run. Any idea as to original msrp? By the way, I swear the Spruce top is solid. The grain on the edge of the soundhole very clearly goes all the way through.

I'll post some pics in case anyone's interested. [/quote']

The label is not for that guitar. As someone pointed out, it is not Vintage Sunburst, and it doesn't look anything like a SJ-15. The fretmarkers look like it should be an SJ-18:

sj18sce.jpg

SJ-18SCE

Mahogany sides, solid spruce top, mahogany neck, neck binding. It should have gold hardware, but it seems that nothing on this guitar is original.

• 5 years later...

I know I'm dragging up an old thread, but while trying to research my own oddball El' Segundo, this is the only info I could find. So, I figured I should input whatever info I had for the next guy/ gal.

Alright. I purchased this guitar in early 2004 while living in South Korea. I always assumed it was a Korean built model but I guess I was wrong now. It was always suggested by friends that this was a counterfeit (as is common to find here) but I couldn't really see anyone wanting to copy such an entry level guitar. My best guess was that this was a factory reject due to a couple of original blemishes (shown), and that someone had just thrown whatever truss rod cover and serial sticker on it that they had lying around and snuck it out the back door. There's really no regulations here so businesses can pretty much sell whatever they want.

As you can see, my pick guard is different from the OP's, however it is just as sloppily placed. My serial number is only a few away from his, and it is also designated "VS", or "Vintage Sunburst", though mine is obviously an Ebony finish.

All this being said, this guitar has always been great. Sounds great, looks great, and has held up like a tank. I've had it all over the world including a war zone and it's still with me. Ironically enough, I'm currently in the same location as when I purchased this thing, eleven years later, and the shop is still in business. Maybe one of these days I'll swing by and ask em' what the deal is. Or not.

*Correction* - it looks like my photos are too large to attach. Gimme a few minutes.

weird it's called a VS but it's natural color! Maybe it was a screw up at the factory that somehow slipped out! Nice guitar either way! i kind of like the El Segundo truss rod cover on it lol. Not surpirsed if it was solid top, the DR-200S is pretty cheap and the DR-90S is peanuts. Even the Hummingbird artist doesn't cost all that much! I'd have paid $100 for yours easy

ok this is weird

I know I'm dragging up an old thread, but while trying to research my own oddball El' Segundo, this is the only info I could find. So, I figured I should input whatever info I had for the next guy/ gal.

Alright. I purchased this guitar in early 2004 while living in South Korea. I always assumed it was a Korean built model but I guess I was wrong now. It was always suggested by friends that this was a counterfeit (as is common to find here) but I couldn't really see anyone wanting to copy such an entry level guitar. My best guess was that this was a factory reject due to a couple of original blemishes (shown), and that someone had just thrown whatever truss rod cover and serial sticker on it that they had lying around and snuck it out the back door. There's really no regulations here so businesses can pretty much sell whatever they want.

As you can see, my pick guard is different from the OP's, however it is just as sloppily placed. My serial number is only a few away from his, and it is also designated "VS", or "Vintage Sunburst", though mine is obviously an Ebony finish.

All this being said, this guitar has always been great. Sounds great, looks great, and has held up like a tank. I've had it all over the world including a war zone and it's still with me. Ironically enough, I'm currently in the same location as when I purchased this thing, eleven years later, and the shop is still in business. Maybe one of these days I'll swing by and ask em' what the deal is. Or not.

*Correction* - it looks like my photos are too large to attach. Gimme a few minutes.

Okay, here's a few pics, as mentioned. Sorry for the iPhone pic quality, and the fact it took a few days.

So what do we think? Does it even make sense financially for someone to fake an Epi? It's a cheap guitar in the first place.

post-71014-027470700 1426031637_thumb.jpeg

post-71014-029533500 1426031657_thumb.jpeg

post-71014-094809300 1426031668_thumb.jpeg

post-71014-031240300 1426031820_thumb.jpeg

The label is not for that guitar.... The fretmarkers look like it should be an SJ-18:

sj18sce.jpg

SJ-18SCE

Definitely the wrong label. It looks like they used an SJ-18 neck and body, but they slapped a different bridge on it - it's pointing the other way. Then they put on whatever pickguard they had laying around, used up the SJ labels, and called it an El Segundo. :rolleyes:

Archived