Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Studio Acoustic 15C GUITAR AMP

A friend brought me one of these to fix, lights up but no sound... Have to dig into it and find out what's going on , or not ... Anybody have any experience with these little amps ??? A schematic perhaps ... ???? Any help would be greatly appreciated , Thanks !!!!

I just renewed my membership........actually I was going to write a review of this particular amp.....

I use a Epi Studio Acoustic 15C every Sunday...I play in a contemporary choir....sounds pretty good.....I mean it amplifies my acoustic guitar cleanly....only have to put the volume at 2 - 2.5......we're not worried about competing with the drummer......I got it because I noticed the other guitarists use small practice amps.....I was thinking about a Crate Taxi but decided against lugging around a battery when I didn't need one......

For what it is.......it's more than adequate for my purposes...........

I wouldn't be surprised if the schematics were in Chinese....if you're lucky they're on the inside of the back panel when you remove it......doubtful..........

StarGeezers....for obvious reasons....I'm very interested in how this turns out.....please keep us posted..........

....hopefully....when you take the back off.....you find a loose speaker wire connection............

....is it just the guitar channel 2...or...the microphone channel 1...or...both..........

• 3 weeks later...

Coll', got the amp , wrestled the back off (that glue) ... Wiggled a couple plugs in case of oxidation, cleaned the fuse (good) and plugged it in ... it Worked ... I did notice that the holes that held the amp chassis on weren't exactly lined up and torqued the chassis (maybe a source of the problem ???) Got the file out and enlarged the holes to fit , tightened , no torquing , so screwed it back together and Bob's your Uncle !!!

.....glad to hear that it worked out so easily for you...........

.....I was worried that it might be something a little more complicated......cracked circuit board.....transformer......etc.............

.....also glad to hear that you're pleased with the sound of the amp......that's exactly what I thought when I first heard it....

.....maybe others will consider it too if they want a small simple acoustic amp....................

• 7 months later...

I found one of these in a garage sale. Gambled and paid 20 bucks. It actually was like new, so I figuered that it might be fixable. It was dead except for an AC hum. Took it apart as StarGeezers suggested. Fuse was OK. Pulled some of the plugs and plugged them back in to rub the contacts. Eureka! It took off and sounds pretty good. I need to find a plug tor the other channel and wire it with RCA plugs on the other end. I will then connect it to my Laptop and run some background tracks to play along with. Nice little Amp and much lighter than my Fender Blues Jr. See my Post for today. Thanks StarGeezers and fhcoll for the inspiration to fix this little amp.

• 9 months later...

Hi there from Slovenia,

I've just got EPIPHONE PR-4E ACOUSTIC PLAYERPACK with A15-C studio acoustic amp (#-Band-EQ and Chorus).

Guitar is OK, but the amp has too much gain. Distortioin begins at 1,5-2 with guitar volume very low. It is imposiple to play at higher levels. Mic input is OK. Is this normal. You said, you have to put volume at 2-2.5, do you have the same problem?

I just renewed my membership........actually I was going to write a review of this particular amp.....

I use a Epi Studio Acoustic 15C every Sunday...I play in a contemporary choir....sounds pretty good.....I mean it amplifies my acoustic guitar cleanly....only have to put the volume at 2 - 2.5......we're not worried about competing with the drummer......I got it because I noticed the other guitarists use small practice amps.....I was thinking about a Crate Taxi but decided against lugging around a battery when I didn't need one......

For what it is.......it's more than adequate for my purposes...........

I wouldn't be surprised if the schematics were in Chinese....if you're lucky they're on the inside of the back panel when you remove it......doubtful..........

• 4 years later...

While this is a very old thread, I guessed there would be on the amp.

I bought a used one at a Trash & Treasure market yesterday for AUD$10 on speculation. No chance to actually hear it at the market and could only see if was able to be turned on. I took the sellers word it did work OK.

Got it home and it's in excellent working order, hasn't been bashed around and seems whoever bought it originally just left it lying around unused.

Sure it may not be the best amplifier ever made but, gee, it can put out some nice sounds (I plugged in a Taylor GS Mini-e), is reasonably loud for a 15W solid state and the chorus effects, while not brilliant, actually add value.

Overall an OK, fun and solid practice amp. Don't know if Epiphone still makes them and, if so, what they cost new.

While this is a very old thread, I guessed there would be on the amp.

I bought a used one at a Trash & Treasure market yesterday for AUD$10 on speculation. No chance to actually hear it at the market and could only see if was able to be turned on. I took the sellers word it did work OK.

Got it home and it's in excellent working order, hasn't been bashed around and seems whoever bought it originally just left it lying around unused.

Sure it may not be the best amplifier ever made but, gee, it can put out some nice sounds (I plugged in a Taylor GS Mini-e), is reasonably loud for a 15W solid state and the chorus effects, while not brilliant, actually add value.

Overall an OK, fun and solid practice amp. Don't know if Epiphone still makes them and, if so, what they cost new.

they still make these but are only available in the PR-4E player pack.

• 4 months later...

Hi there from Slovenia,

I've just got EPIPHONE PR-4E ACOUSTIC PLAYERPACK with A15-C studio acoustic amp (#-Band-EQ and Chorus).

Guitar is OK, but the amp has too much gain. Distortioin begins at 1,5-2 with guitar volume very low. It is imposiple to play at higher levels. Mic input is OK. Is this normal. You said, you have to put volume at 2-2.5, do you have the same problem?

Hi, I have the same guitar and amp. I dig the amp, small with chorus and loud. I haven't cranked it up loud enough to get distortion though. It sounds more electric the louder it gets but no distortion, it's clean. I think your issue is with the guitar pickup design. This guitar sounds electric when plugged into the amp. Some acoustic/electric do not, they have a different type of pickup. They sound exactly the way they do unplugged. My fender acoustic has a piezo pickup with passive controls (no battery). It sounds the same no matter the volume. This Epiphone will sound electric plugged into that amp.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I bought this amp for my yamaha accoustic eléctric guitar or to resell it if was not what i was looking for.  

I was surprised by how loud It  das f o r such small amp then the features on It....chorus, with a speed control, and a mic input...rarely found in an amp this small. It took me awhile   to ya me this little tiger, but once i regulate and match it with the yamaha equilizer on my guitar it's a beaute.

I believe the ones not seen this, didn't took the time to Match the guitar been player with the amp.

I've player many diferent amps . Including some rated very high. For the  most part i found that you have to understand the amp well otherwise you miss many features. 

This one is one of those. At the beginning i has a humming. Annoying one. I found out the levels on my yamaha guitar where to high.

Once i regulated the levels, problems solved  and it plays beautiful i has to do the same with the sennheiser mic....play with your amo.

I don't want to get ride of this anymore. I am attached to my epiphone 15c...

I bought this amp for my yamaha accoustic eléctric guitar or to resell it if was not what i was looking for.  

I was surprised by how loud It  das f o r such small amp then the features on It....chorus, with a speed control, and a mic input...rarely found in an amp this small. It took me awhile   to ya me this little tiger, but once i regulate and match it with the yamaha equilizer on my guitar it's a beaute.

I believe the ones not seen this, didn't took the time to Match the guitar been player with the amp.

I've player many diferent amps . Including some rated very high. For the  most part i found that you have to understand the amp well otherwise you miss many features. 

This one is one of those. At the beginning i has a humming. Annoying one. I found out the levels on my yamaha guitar where to high.

Once i regulated the levels, problems solved  and it plays beautiful i has to do the same with the sennheiser mic....play with your amo.

I don't want to get ride of this anymore. I am attached to my epiphone 15c...