Gibson Brands Forums

Can anybody help??

the_stain

Hi Guys,

This may be on the wrong place & I apologise if it is.

I'm trying to find some info about my Epiphone Les Paul Studio, I've had it since about 2002, it has a cherry sunburst finish. I bought it brand new and I've not seen another like it. It has a thin body, like a Les Paul 100 style body only it's a set neck & came with Gibson pickups as stock. The neck pickup is covered but the bridge pickup isn't.

It has 3 screws on the truss rod cover and because of this I'm worried it's a fake but I'm hoping this isn't the case however as not only is it my pride and joy but I bought it from a shop here in the UK that used to be the primary Gibson/Epiphone Dealer in my City (Nottingham) called Academy of Sound (it changed it's name to Soundcontrol but are now out of business)

The Serial Number is: U00080145.

I'm also interested to hear if anyone else has one of these?

A new shop that primarily deals with Gibson/Epiphone have said that it may be a one off run but they weren't able to confirm it for me so any info would be greatly appreciated or if no-one can shed any light on this then I'd also be grateful if someone could point me in he right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Truss rod cover is legit if it looks like mine - (the tuners are upgrade)

100_0203.jpg

Mine is a 2008 LP Studio, set neck, bought from Musician's Friend. I upgraded my pups

to Gibson, if your had Gibsons as NEW...??? Sort of sounds like someone upgraded

then traded in for something else, but if it was BRAND NEW in the box, I have no

explanation...Perhaps a UK-only issue? (If you could post some pictures, it would

certainly help!!!!).

100_0206.jpg

100_0205.jpg

It was ex-demo, so no box I'm afraid but it did still have the Gibson stickers on the pups & when I asked the guy did say they were Gibson. It had a chip in the finish that went down to the wood so I got it for £200 instead of £450 like the rest of the LP's in there. (ex-demo as I said, I think someone may have dropped it while trying it out) The truss rod cover is the same as yours, although here's another thing that gets me, I have trapezoid inlays, not dots. I'll post some pics tomorrow so you can check it out!

Thanks a lot!!

blueyonder: Thanks, I did use the guitar dater project site but I remember seeing an article on the gibbo site saying it was a fake & not to trust it as it gave some false information so i thought it was back to square one! Thanks for your help!

blueyonder: Thanks' date=' I did use the guitar dater project site but I remember seeing an article on the gibbo site saying it was a fake & not to trust it as it gave some false information so i thought it was back to square one! Thanks for your help![/quote']

Really? Wow, never heard that before. A lot of people seem to use that as a source. Thanks for passing that along, you wouldn't happen to have a link to that article, would you (not that I mind searching, just thought I'd ask)?

Edit: Never mind, found it already. Thanks!

Another little bit of info I stumbled across while Googling around: I came across a few old reviews from 2003 and earlier that refer to the Epi LP Studio as having the trapezoidal inlays and "real Gibson humbuckers", so it appears from that little bit of information that Epiphone may have downgraded the Studio around that time. Not firm proof, but thought I'd mention it.

Thank you that's amazing! I'm glad to see mine isn't the only one like it! His serial number is also very similar to mine & also mentions the spec change as you did!! Thank you very much for your help blueyonder, I can never usually think of where to look for these things!!

I should probably hit the hay, it's 3am here in the UK!!

Thanks again, I'll probably be back here tomorrow! Well, today for me!

animalfarm, blueyonder, I really can't thank you both enough!! You've both been a great help to me!! To be honest though I'm not sure if mine are Burstbuckers or not!

Loving the twin too! It's an awesome find! Still strange how mine has one covered pickup, one uncovered!! It's a quirk I love though!!

Archived