Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Senior is in the HOUSE!

brianh

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It came today from Sweetwater while I was out. Good thing they didn't call in adance' date=' I would have cancelled it.

But it's here now so I suppose I'll have to at least check it out...[/quote']

What did I miss? I thought everyone was excited about the Seniors?

Well I ordered it in February. Sweetwater didn't call or e-mail to see if I still wanted it, and there was no record of it my SW account, so I assumed it had been cancelled. Sorry if I don't seem thrilled, it's just that it's October now and ever so slightly anticlimactic. Maybe I'll be more excited when I get it cranked up.

Hi all, I've been busy this afternoon, just had it hooked up for a few minutes to an Avatar cab with some cheapo MIC Celestions in it so not the best eval rig. Here's my initial reaction, more to follow tomorrow after connecting to the VJr cab which has a 12" Hellatone installed:

:) - Has a nice range of crunchy clean to full-on Hendrix distortion.

Makes my tele feed back very nicely when cranked. UPDATE: AND IT GETS GREAT TONE AT VERY LOW VOLUMES

:) - Hi and Mid tone controls are meh - they don't seem to make as much difference as you might expect.

Bass control works OK. UPDATE: NOW THAT I'M USED TO THEM THEY WORK OK.

;) - Presence control does nothing that I could hear; may revise this tomorrow. UPDATE: DEPENDS ON GAIN/MASTER SETTING. IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

:-k - Reverb is just OK. It's sounds good at first, but anything past 9:00 and it's too much. At 12:00, it's unusable, and at 3:00 all primary signal is lost and sounds like crap. In general the reverb chip sounds more like DSP delay, but it's almost tolerable. A pedal or a spring tank mod may be a better option. UPDATE: ACCUTRONICS AND RUBY TUBES MAKE A 3-SPRING REVERB TANK THAT CAN IMPROVE THE DELAY.

:D/ - I like the overall volume of the thing. You can get great distortion without breaking the windows, and it can be just as loud (or quiet) clean. Great for small to medium gigs, large venues mic'd, and home studio use. A little too loud for the bedroom. UPDATE: I TAKE BACK THE BEDROOM THING - IT SOUNDS SPECTACULAR AT LOWS VOLUMES TOO.

:) - It has the expected 4, 8 and 16 Ohm speaker outputs, front-panel standby and power switches, only one channel and no effects loop.

:-& - I haven't opened it up yet, will do tomorrow and post pics. UPDATE: SEE POSTING BELOW - PICTURES GALORE.

:D - Overall it seems a much better value for $300 than the Valve Special I have which is caca. UPDATE - STILL ACCURATE.

Chris - I will try to post some vids tomorrow, my project for the day... SEE FOLLOWING POSTS.

Crust - I beleive "frickin" has become an acceptable colloquialism at this point. If not, I'm in big frickin' trouble!

RSDx / Twang - it matches a VJr cab perfectly (18" x 11") and it actually looks fairly handsome up there. YES IT DOES.

I foresee a lot of VJr heads coming up on Craigslist, better get rid of mine fast:

P1010981small.jpg

Well I ordered it in February. Sweetwater didn't call or e-mail to see if I still wanted it' date=' and there was no record of it my SW account, so I assumed it had been cancelled. Sorry if I don't seem thrilled, it's just that it's October now and ever so slightly anticlimactic. Maybe I'll be more excited when I get it cranked up. [/quote']

OK, NOW I understand. Hope she floats your boat and rocks your world!

oh man i want one... that "need for tweed" setting with the riviera.... awesome...

oh, and the "fender" reverb was actually produced by a company called accutronics... they originally used them for hammond organs, but fender used them in guitar amps, and we all know what happened then... but anyway, if you want a brand new reverb unit, you can get one directly from accutronics... they have an ebay store, and you can find out what kind of reverb unit you already have on their website (if it's not listed, send 'em an email, they will be able to tell you)

That way you don't need to have an old fender reverb for your new epiphone amp...

Yes...thanks for the videos! Can't wait to get mine. Thinking I won't be "maxing" the gain while using anything with P90's.

Rob

didn't realize they did that... I guess i might have to wait to get an agile Harm 1 until i can afford a pickup swap... Well, there won't be p90-sized q tuners any time soon anyway... and i can't stand 60 cycle hum without raging feedback...

does agile wax pot their pickups?