Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaning

Johnt

Now I will admit I am not the tidiest person in the world. As I sit here in the loft with piles of books, computers etc I am getting a slightly guilty conscience about the way my guitars get treated by me.

So I am going to fess up and say that in the 25 years I have had the J45 I reckon I've cleaned it thoroughly perhaps 15 times. I've had the 335 10 years ( 3X) and the SWD has been near a cloth!

Such abuse is usually reserved in this house for my wifes old sports car which despite the sunshine did 84 miles last year and hasn't been out at all this year.

Back to the guitars , let me have some opinions (please not a lecture I know I done bad!!!)

How often and with what should the guitars been cleaned, after how many plays?

Do you think there should be an equivalent of a 20000 miles service, not a setup, just a thourgh strings off clean.

Should I clean the fingerboard each time my sweaty little paws have been on it.

If I start cleaning one now I just might have it done to bring with me to the Homecoming LOL

http://forums.gibson.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=4861

Check out this thread' date=' this stuff is really good.

I don't know,about fret board cleaners, I'm looking for something that wont darken the rose wood.

I know you don't need to clean the fret board that often. I use 4-0 steel wool to clean the frets.[/quote']

Ok Thanks for that Paul

I have emailed em to ask if they have a UK distributor. From their website you seem to have to be in the US, Canada, Germany or OZ

Thanks again

BR John

Didn't realize you were in the UK. Maybe someone like Elderly would ship it to you.

If I can help somehow let me know. I'm in Phoenix, & no one here has it, but I would be willing to do some leg work,

ie.... make some calls.

I got Vonage because my wife's family is in France, & the phone thing was getting out of hand.

With Vonage she can call for free, so it doesn't cost me anything extra to make calls within the us.

Didn't realize you were in the UK. Maybe someone like Elderly would ship it to you.

If I can help somehow let me know. I'm in Phoenix' date=' & no one here has it, but I would be willing to do some leg work,

ie.... make some calls.

I got Vonage because my wife's family is in France, & the phone thing was getting out of hand.

With Vonage she can call for free, so it doesn't cost me anything extra to make calls within the us. [/quote']

Really appreciate that but I expect I can get something sorted.

If I could get it in France I'd be fine as we are going shopping over there tommorrow!

If not you're right Elderley will ship!

BR

John

i bought some virtuoso polish and cleaner this week at guitar center. it's everything folks here said it was. great stuff and it will be all i use from now on. had been using dunlop. not anymore.

Thanks jannusguy.

I am on it's trail and will report back when I have it!

Johnt- Just returned from holiday in time to help you with your cleaning dilemma. Just get yourself a clean spray bottle, fill it with Bishop's Finger, spray onto a pair of YOUR clean "undies", and rub to a high lustre. Glad to be back mate, and that I could be of immediate assistance to yourself. And Bob's your uncle.

Cheers!

Johnt- Just returned from holiday in time to help you with your cleaning dilemma. Just get yourself a clean spray bottle' date=' fill it with Bishop's Finger, spray onto a pair of YOUR clean "undies", and rub to a high lustre. Glad to be back mate, and that I could be of immediate assistance to yourself. And Bob's your uncle.

Cheers![/size']

You've started lurching about again stealing threads as you go!

If you'd read the threads right you would agree that they were never "my undies". I seem to remember they were GillianGirl's. So if you want to "tread the forbidden turf" talk to her

(Jeeze I nearly got banned from the brownies then I was just going to add something about rub to high lustre! )

Your beer post was reallu interesting all the yanks who come over here seem to neck bottle of Bud , brewed in Burton on Trent!

This was our local brewey until we moved up to kent. Still deliver within the town boundries on Drays ( which are horse drawn carts not a squirrels nest.

here's the hosses (as Ben Cartwright used tosay)

Off to France tomorrow via the tunnel to buy wine and gas for car. Beer in France is cr*p but we are also going up to Belgium where beer is 100%

Br

John

Johnt wrote: If you'd read the threads right you would agree that they were never "my undies

Har, har mate, I did read them right. I was using poetic license to help me with my needling of yourself! I think GG was trying to attribute these said "undies" to Brad Paisley and was quickly reminded by the male crowd here that undies is not something a male wears. Unless, of course, they are living in a Kingdom far, far away from witnesses here in the US! Have a great time in France, I'll be over at the Ocean and will quaff a "Dead Guy Ale" in your honor! Yoikes, and away!!

Johnt wrote: If you'd read the threads right you would agree that they were never "my undies

Har' date=' har mate, I did read them right. I was using poetic license to help me with my needling of yourself! I think GG was trying to attribute these said "undies" to Brad Paisley and was quickly reminded by the male crowd here that undies is not something a male wears. Unless, of course, they are living in a Kingdom far, far away from witnesses here in the US! Have a great time in France, I'll be over at the Ocean and will quaff a "Dead Guy Ale" in your honor! Yoikes, and away!![/quote']

No worries

I knew GG was about to come in so I thought I'd just drop you in it!

BR

J

I tried this Virtuoso Polish and think it's great! Thanks for the tip. It even sounds better. ;)/

Kewl Joe

Another Happy customer

I have ordered 2 sets and am now waiting for the big white bird to bring them over the water

Good to hear you're happy

BR

John

I typically use a cotton diaper or micro fiber cloth after each time I play just to wipe down the face, sides, back and strings at the end of each evening. For anything that may get on there that is grundgy, a little "Naptha" (Lighter fluid as in Zippo type lighter fluid) is what most builders recommend. Just put a small amount on a clean cloth and it takes anything greasy right off the guitar without hurting the finish. On my fretboards, about once a year I will use a very, very small amount of "Boiled Linseed Oil" which is also used on rifle stocks to clean up. After cleaning the frets with 0000 steel wool, I wipe my oiled rag over the wood, let it sit for a couple minutes and wipe off. It really brings back the wood grain and is completely harmless to your guitar. If you have electronics on the guitar, you have to cover the soundhole of the guitar so the residue from the 0000 steel wool doesn't attach to your magnetic pickups though.

One last piece of advice from a somewhat sad person (me)....

I found out the hard way over the 4th of July weekend while playing my Gibson around our firepit at the cabin.... DO NOT LET YOUR BUG SPRAYED ARM OR LEG CONTACT YOUR NITRO CELLULOSE FINISHED GIBSON!!!!! I never had that problem with my Taylor which has been refinished a few years ago at the Taylor factory with their UV (harder) finish, but on my Gibson are areas where the bug spray must have eaten away the gloss on my finish. Since I didn't have as much as a scratch on the AJ prior to that, I was distraught for a short time, but now I realize that the AJ still sounds as good as always and now has some of my Cabin Mojo on it. (I am still a little &^**#! at myself for not thinking about it though prior to playing the Gibson.)

](*,)](*,)](*,)

Taylor Player,

I have seen the same warning about DEET bug sprays in forums dealing with optical equipment. Must be nasty stuff. You're right about the Naptha. When the luthier who setup my guitar had finished, he pulled out a can of Naptha and wiped the guitar off with it. I was a bit worried when he did it but it works great.

Cheers,

Les

Now I will admit I am not the tidiest person in the world. As I sit here in the loft with piles of books' date=' computers etc I am getting a slightly guilty conscience about the way my guitars get treated by me.

So I am going to fess up and say that in the 25 years I have had the J45 I reckon I've cleaned it thoroughly perhaps 15 times. I've had the 335 10 years ( 3X) and the SWD has been near a cloth!

Such abuse is usually reserved in this house for my wifes old sports car which despite the sunshine did 84 miles last year and hasn't been out at all this year.

Back to the guitars , let me have some opinions (please not a lecture I know I done bad!!!)

How often and with what should the guitars been cleaned, after how many plays?

Do you think there should be an equivalent of a 20000 miles service, not a setup, just a thourgh strings off clean.

Should I clean the fingerboard each time my sweaty little paws have been on it.

If I start cleaning one now I just might have it done to bring with me to the Homecoming LOL[/quote']

Clean fretboard with damp cloth every string change... all strings off make this task easier. Use mildly mild soap and water and a soft brush in a swirly motion if you smoke, or drink to excess. Ditto if you eat Cheetos whilest playing and don't wash your hands after doing your 'business' in the privy.

Clear the dust bunnies what get under the strings 'twixed bridge and s-hole and s-hole and fretboard. Turn her over, apply a spot of oil to the open tuners, if you have them. Spat 'er on the butt and turn her over again.

Chase the bunnies from inside the sound box and retrieve any loose debris, vis. stray pics and the aforementioned Cheetos... Leave the snake rattles.. they're for good luck.

This is a good time to polish the top stem to stern.

String 'er up, bring 'er to pitch. polish the rest and Bob's your aunt. You're done for another go. Time intervals is determined by how much you play and how fastidididious (which, apparently you ain't).

Once a year and / or after a good scrubbing, oil the fretboard with Formby's Lemon Oil. Let oil soak in over night then wipe excess before stringing her up.

Archived