Gibson Guitar Board: Epiphone Les Paul Standard toggle switch - Gibson Guitar Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Epiphone Les Paul Standard toggle switch

#1 User is offline   Suek 

• Group: Members

Posted 23 November 2009 - 12:37 PM

Hi,
When in the middle position for the toggle switch are both pickups only controlled by one volume knob? I only have one that works and it's the lower volume knob. I was thinking that I had a bad switch maybe or maybe on knob is the master when in the middle. Thanks for your time.

#2 User is offline   Suek 

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:05 AM

Anyone? Please.

#3 User is offline   peeper 

• BANNED

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:37 AM

Well, we can't really answer your question except like this.

It depends on how your guitars wired. Give us all the info you can about it. Model of guitar and pickups, and mods or work that has been done to it. How did it work last time it worked etc. Anything you can think of that relates to that guitars electronics.

#4 User is offline   Suek 

Posted 24 November 2009 - 05:53 AM

Thanks very much! I am giving you the link to Musician's Friend. http://guitars.music...itar?sku=581252

I appreciate any help. I'm praying that I don't have to send the guitar back. Thank you again for replying.

#5 User is offline   AnthemBassMan 

• Advanced Member

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:51 AM

-Yes, when you have the switch in the middle, either volume control will act like a master volume. This is typical because of the way it's wired from the factory using a common ground. Even the Gibson Les Pauls do this. That's one of the reasons I used the 50's wiring with independent volume controls when I rewired mine. Just a couple switches of the wiring to different lugs on the pots fixed it. Now I can roll one p'up off with the other one maxed out and it won't kill the volume.

L8R,
Matt
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Suek 

Posted 24 November 2009 - 09:02 AM

-Yes, when you have the switch in the middle, either volume control will act like a master volume. This is typical because of the way it's wired from the factory using a common ground. Even the Gibson Les Pauls do this. That's one of the reasons I used the 50's wiring with independent volume controls when I rewired mine. Just a couple switches of the wiring to different lugs on the pots fixed it. Now I can roll one p'up off with the other one maxed out and it won't kill the volume.

L8R,
Matt
Thank you very much! I worried I would have to send it back, I feel MUCH BETTER now thanks to you. Thank you also filling me in on the 50's wiring!!!
By the way, Your guitar is beautiful.

#7 User is offline   AnthemBassMan 

• Advanced Member

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:03 AM

-Well thank you and happy to help. One good thing with the factory wiring like that is you can use it kind of like a kill switch. Turn the neck volume to 0 and when you hit a chord, rock the switch back and forth rapidly. Ace Frehley used to do this quite a lot.

L8R,
Matt
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users