Gibson Brands Forums

Found a Rattler's Tail in My Geetar

zombywoof

I recently brought home a 1956 SJ for a test drive. Heard something rattling around inside. Took a look and found a rattlesnake tail in there. I had heard that this was done: to improve the sound; keep mice from building a nest in there; or for a little added Mojo.

Whatever the reason, I am taking no chances and leaving it in there. BTW, I am a likin' the SJ so will have to come up with a way of keeping it. Looks like at least one of my electrics will be going bye bye. Less aggressive mids than my '60 J200 but brighter with more sparkle. And ya just gotta love that 50s roundback neck.

As I understand the myth, it was believed that rattlesnake tails would absorb excess humidity. I have a guy I play with once a month who is 80 and he keeps two in his 1948 SJ. The guitar is fine and he is the original owner, so who is to say? Personally, I like hygrometers and digital humidifier/dehumidifier units - call me strange.

Hey Zomby' date=' I'd love to see a picture of your guitar if you have one. Love them old SJs.[/quote']

If I can find my camera. Just moved back to Kansas from D.C. a couple of months back and still have a bunch of boxes to go through. Have not run across the camera yet - worse I still have not found my favorite coffee maker.

But I agree - if for nothing else the necks are amazing.

Main thing about picking up the SJ is the only way I will be able to get it is to fork over my '85 G&L Interceptor. One of the fugliest electrics I have ever seen but a just a killer guitar when to comes to tone and playability. And rare as all get out - only about 70 ever made. But then again, I just don't play electric that much anymore.

Main thing about picking up the SJ is the only way I will be able to get it is to fork over my '85 G&L Interceptor. One of the fugliest electrics I have ever seen but a just a killer guitar when to comes to tone and playability. And rare as all get out - only about 70 ever made. But then again' date=' I just don't play electric that much anymore. [/quote']

I've gotten to the point in my life where I'm gathering around me a few favorite pieces of gear that I'm going to keep for good. My raggedy old 49 J-45, and my 55 ES-125. My Fender Telesonic and 70's Deluxe Reverb. I've got a few more things that I might trade off or trade up for, but my favorites are here to stay now.

Ok' date=' KSD, who DO you love?[/color']

KSDaddy-when I was driving over to the ocean yesterday I had a cd in and Hoochie Coochie man came on. I immediately remembered that I had mistaken that for "Who Do You Love". So, you don't have to answer!

Pictures of the guitar would be nice, but I for one want to see a picture of the rattler tail!

Being from MN, I don't think we even have them other than possibly in SE Minnesota by the Mississippi River. I like the idea though as a MOJO charm!

Anyone got an extra for my AJ? :D

Where would someone even go to buy such a thing!

I HATE snakes so it would creep me out to be sure.

There ya go... thinkin' like an Eastern Dandy.

You don't buy snake rattles' date=' you pick 'em!

Snake rattles have been put in fiddles (not violins) for good luck since before Mother Maybelle Carters' mamma first sung her [i']Wildwood Flower[/i].

I knot up the loose ends of the boot laces, what hold the head of my guit tar up, with what's called a chain knot. When finished it looks kindy like a snake rattle. Did it too to a boot lace I used to size up a straw hat what needed a hat band, but I didn't have a hatband.

If I can find my camera. Just moved back to Kansas from D.C. a couple of months back and still have a bunch of boxes to go through. Have not run across the camera yet - worse I still have not found my favorite coffee maker.

Glad you got your priorities straight. Unpack? coffee? Guit tar shoppin? ..... Guit tar Shoppin! =D>/

Snake rattles have been put in fiddles (not violins) for good luck since before Mother Maybelle Carters' mamma first sung her Wildwood Flower.

I

I believe Bill Monroe has one 'tail' in his F-5 Mandolin that is in the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Archived