Gibson Brands Forums

Do you think the True Vintage guitars are worth the extra $$$?

Rick Garrett

I've got a Gibson J185 Modern Classic in Vintage Burst on the way. What I'm thinking about doing is maybe calling my dealer and go ahead and change the order to a J185 True Vintage. Can somebody who's played both models tell me if the TV is worth the extra 700 bucks? Does it really sound that much better than the Modern Classic J185? What can I expect in difference of tone between both models? Thanks in advance for any help.

Rick

I've got a Gibson J185 Modern Classic in Vintage Burst on the way. What I'm thinking about doing is maybe calling my dealer and go ahead and change the order to a J185 True Vintage. Can somebody who's played both models tell me if the TV is worth the extra 700 bucks? Does it really sound that much better than the Modern Classic J185? What can I expect in difference of tone between both models? Thanks in advance for any help.

Rick

Yes. The ones I've played are consistently good. I've never played a bad custom shop J-45 either.

I would say so, definitely. You might have the guitar for a long time....spread that difference out over the course of a decade or two of enjoying a fine guitar, and it isn't enough to lose sleep over. The TV models I've played have all sounded superior to the normal fare. The TV J-185 was so impressive, that I shaved down the braces on mine the day after I played it. And I think the TVs are going to sound exceptionally fine with some playing in and some aging.

I can't speak for the J-185, but I can say that the J-45 TV blows the MC version away. I was just at a dealer playing one today and the difference is incredible. It's lighter and the whole guitar just reverberates when you strum it. I like the aged toner too. The sound is much clearer and well defined, just a very rich tone. The guitars coming out of Bozeman just keep getting better and better. I played a Hummingbird custom today too. It is quilted maple, what a beauty! I am not a big fan of maple, but I would sure love to have that guitar. The tone was awesome!

The J-185TV model is a lot more elusive than the J-45TV, from my searchings. I haven't managed to play one yet!

But I have played several examples of the J-45TV, and found a SJ-200TV, and a HummingbirdTV, and they were all -- in my opinion -- better-sounding guitars than the average 'non-TV' (or Modern Classic) models.

Extending that experience to the J-185TV -- and I have owned many of the pre-2005 J-185s over the years -- my guess would be consistent with the others' opinions, expressed above: the extra cost of the TV is likely a good investment.

Fred

Thanks for the tips guys! Well I did it. Just stopped by my local dealer on the way home from work and told him to call Gibson and order the True Vintage model J185. He said I'm still likely looking at between a month and six weeks waiting time but that's ok by me. I still have my CJ165 Rosewood to keep my busy. Can't wait to compare the two side by side. This CJ so far is without a doubt my favorite acoustic guitar that I've ever played. I thank yall again for helping me make the decision to upgrade. Now when my wife finds out I can tell her you guys made me do it. =D>

Good going Rick and congratulations. Anxious to hear how you like it when you finally pull it out of the box. I love my SJ-200 MC and can't imagine playing a TV that sounds better. I'd probably experience an immediate cardio-vascular infarction or at least fart. As for your wife, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is to ask for permission!

I agree with modac as well...the extra cash over several yrs makes it easier to swallow.I got mine 11 months ago and have never once regretted forking out the extra do re me for it....can't say I ever had the chance to compare the 2 models...hell..I bought online through a reputable dealer without even playing one...take the plunge...don't think you'll regret it

Guys I really appreciate the helpful opinions. I know I've been a little wishy washy lately what with bringing the J45 home and then taking it back only to order a J185, then to re-order a J185 True Vintage. IN fact I was scolded a bit via email for not knowing what I wanted in a second guitar. =D> That's alright though. Fact is I've wanted a TV J185 for awhile now and I know I won't be completely satisfied until I get mine. I originally thought I could get the J185 Modern Classic and be happy with it and maybe I could have but I don't intend to buy anymore guitars for awhile and I wanted to make sure and get what I really wanted instead of settling for something less. At any rate I'm very thankful for the help you guys have offered here on this great site and if I've offended anyone by being back and forth on what I want, I apologize whole heartedly. When my J185 TV gets here I'll try to get some pics of both of my vintage burst guitars up for you guys. Thanks for your patience and help!

You picked up a TV recently, didn't you, Dave? How is that guy going now?

By the way I have a fond memory of playing Edelweiss with you at the Homecoming and hearing you play some really thrilling bass segue's on an OJ or something during that song.

Are the True Vintages worth the extra money? Yes, yes, and yes! I recently got a J-45 TV and I love it! She has become my number one guitar. I know I'll catch some lip about this statement but, To me, she may be one of the best guitars Gibson has ever built.

You picked up a TV recently' date=' didn't you, Dave? How is that guy going now?

By the way I have a fond memory of playing Edelweiss with you at the Homecoming and hearing you play some really thrilling bass segue's on an OJ or something during that song.[/quote']

Hi Jerry,

I got the J-185 TV in 2007, at my first Homecoming, and she's lovely! But I'm mostly playing my slope-shouldered guys -- J-35 Reissue, OJ, and two (!) AJs -- for the oldtime back-up I mostly play nowadays. If I go back to more of that Rev. Gary Davis, Dave Van Ronk, Jorma Kaukonen-type stuff, I'll probably be playing the J-185 more often for that style.

Do you know whether anyone was recording while we were playing?! I'd love to hear it again! <smile>

Hope to see you next year,

Dave in SLC

Archived