Gibson Brands Forums

Picker or Strummer?

guitarstrummer

I thought we could try out this new forum feature.

EDIT: I found out that you have to click on the description of your choice (i.e. "Flat picker, finger picker, strummer") in order to cast your vote. I first tried clicking on the small circle on the right side (under "statistics") and it didn't work. I thought it was like one of those fill in the circle tests you take, but it's not. I also see where those "circles" disappear after a vote is cast in that category, so only the first to vote in each category would get confused anyway.

What exactly is flatpicking?? I use a flat pick to Travis pick sometimes (often actually), but I'm only playing chords/bass notes. Is that still considered flatpicking? I'm thinking not. I fingerpick, strum, and use my flatpick creatively so I don't know which one to vote for?

Flat-picker until the pick slips and falls in the sound hole. Then' date=' I move to finger-picking which invariably just ends up being strumming before long.....

[/quote']

Speaking of which, why hasn't someone invented an inexpensive tool that can be used to retrieve picks from guitar interiors? I figured someone would have jumped all over that one by now.

Guess I'm mostly a strummer and a flat picker. I also like finger picking, but I ain't got enough control over my fingers. But I wish I had, cause I think fingerpicking has a bigger range of expression (hope that makes sense...)

Anyone knows some good exercises? Or easy tricks to improve one's fingerpicking?=D>

I'm a picker: at different times flatpick and fingers. not a big strummer.

johnny: here's the exercise that's helped me the most. try playing a G scale on the g, b, e strings with your index finger. Then get an alternating bass going on the 6 & 4 strings while holding the low E string down on the third fret with your ring finger (think G chord shape). when you've done both of these separately for a while, try combining them very slowly. First, playing the scale on the 1 & 3 beat of a series of 4 beat measures. Then try playing the scale (still with just your index finger) on every downbeat (1,2,3,4). Eventually, you can try playing the scale on the up as well as downbeat. Take it all very slowly!

DDD

Speaking of which' date=' why hasn't someone invented an inexpensive tool that can be used to retrieve picks from guitar interiors? I figured someone would have jumped all over that one by now.[/quote']

They have - it's called a vacuum cleaner.

Archived