Gibson Brands Forums

Swapped Tuners (pics inside)

anthonyc007

This was something I've been wanting to do for a while. I never like the clunky gold Grovers on my J-45RW. So I finally took the plunge after settling on a set of tuners I liked. I hemmm and hawwwed over the choice of replacements for a while. I settles on TonePros Kluson TPKBW-N 3X3 Vintage Tuners. I wanted the traditional white button look of vintage J-45 and these seemed like the best fit.

Installation was a snap. Post hole was identical and bottom screw very close. Only the top one had to be added. No big deal. Took less than an hour. Recommended for novices wanted to tinker (this was my first tuner swap / install).

Before:

dsc01770kd4.jpg

dsc01769gy4.jpg

After:

dsc01777ax5.jpg

dsc01776oo1.jpg

What do you guys/gals think? I am real happy with the way they turned out.

Thanks for all the feedback, I am really digging 'em.

Are the new ones much lighter?

Yes...but not THAT significant IMHO. But enough to notice, for sure.

the older one's screws and the new one's screws are the same size??

Yes. Same size screw.

i know you said it was pretty close.. but how close was it..?

Just a tiny hair off. Screw went in slighlty angled. Nothing to affect the connection. The top one you have to add a small pilot hole.

What do you do with the old Grover's guys - I got me a Framus that would take to them like a duck to water, and the Harmony could go that way too..... maybe I could build me a Gibson from the discards on here!

I can send you my old ones. Just pay shipping and they are all yours. Send me and email: anthonyc007 at sbcglobal dot com

Hmnn, I just realized what I have are gold and nickel mini-grovers, with the single screw to the southwest instead of south. Anybody know of a good upgrade for those, for ex the nickel mini grovers on a blues king. I find them not up to the quality of the rest of the instrument.

Archived