Gibson Brands Forums

New EJ-200CE & want a 1964 Texan maybe

Aster1

Hi Ya'll,

I just bought a new EJ-200CE in sunburst and haven't yet made up my mind on it. Sounds good, but will it sound better with age? I wasn't understanding the "select Spruce" top info for it. Is that code for "Cheap Spruce Top" or is it okay. Someone said maybe it's a laminate top? Most of the other guitars say solid spruce or something like that.

Also, they have a Paul McCartney 1964 Texan (no not the USA version) and was wondering what others take is on that guitar. It's finished beautifully with the strawberry burst and brown wood. Seemed to sound good.

Let me know what you think on those two questions.

Thanks

Aster

I do not know too much about the Super-Jumbo but my take on the Texan, is that it's a superb guitar which has a solid spruce top and solid Mahogany back and sides which makes it resonate much better...

You really can't compare both these guitars because, while the Super-Jumbo (the one you have) has a very bassy-boomy-sound to it, the Texan is more of an alrounder, perfectly balanced tone and the playability of the neck is just phenomenal! And it's loud, even with light strings but yet crisp and defined, it's not the 'mushy' bass sound you get on so many other acoustics, it's very subtle and for THAT price, I'd buy a second one without hesitating (unfortunately my wallet says: "NO-HOHOHO" whilst my brain says: "YE-HEHEHEHES")...

And the other thing people are mostly impressed about the Texan is when they ask: "wow, where did you get that original Texan from?!" and I'm replying: "It's Chinese, but don't you think they really got everything right`?!"

So yes, if you have 400$ left to spend, please buy the texan and send us pictures, because I love the sunburst they have!

JM

Ohh Mannn,

I just knew that's what someone would say about that Texan. I really fell in love with the look and feel of it too. I have a Dove and it sounds different enough to me to justify the Texan. I have to admit I do like a bright guitar sound quite a bit.

Thanks for the feedback

Aster

you get hell of a great guitar for that price, really! It's the best bargain I ever made and I can see myself using the Texan in 10 years time, it's an instant classic and has Mojo...

[thumbup]

the only thing I can say to you is... BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!!! Join the club of Texan owners, head of the club is: Paul McCartney..

Hi Ya'll' date='

I wasn't understanding the "select Spruce" top info for it...

Also, they have a Paul McCartney 1964 Texan (no not the USA version) ...

Aster

[/quote']

"Select" means a laminated, not solid top. Laminated tops usually improve little with age.

No Paul McCartney 1964 Texans were made in any finish other than antique natural. No bursts of any kind. You either saw the new "Inspired By Texan," or the seller misrepresented the guitar.

Red 333

...the Texan' date=' it's an instant classic

the only thing I can say to you is... BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!!! Join the club of Texan owners, head of the club is: Paul McCartney..[/quote']

I can sure second this opinion. The Texan. An instant classic. An instant favorite.

My Texan has become one of my favorites. I sure didn't expect it to be, but it is. Acoustic guitars are the trickiest of guitars. A bad electric can sound good with the right amp, the right effects, change the pickups, etc... But an acoustic has to be right to you the very first time you strum her. The Texan was that for me. I saw one in a store, really had no interest it, but being a Beatle nut I picked it up, strummed her, and said, "Wait, they're asking just $400 for this?!" I IMMEDIATELY bought one and I love that guitar.

Let me put it this way. I got these two guitars on the same day - the Texan and the White Falcon. I have to say that the Falcon is the greatest guitar I own...but the Texan makes me smile more because she gave me the unexpected. I expected greatness from the Falcon - and she gives it. I didn't expect greatness from the Texan...but she gives it. A real knockout of a guitar.

xmas004.jpg

you get hell of a great guitar for that price' date=' really! It's the best bargain I ever made and I can see myself using the Texan in 10 years time, it's an instant classic and has Mojo...

[crying

the only thing I can say to you is... BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!!! Join the club of Texan owners, head of the club is: Paul McCartney..

John, I think he is talking about the MIJ Texan, not the recent Korean model (albeit which is a brilliant guiatar for the $$$)

:)

I should be more descriptive in my posts, brains moving faster than my fingers I guess.

It is a Inspired By Paul McCartney 1964 Texas ( I think it was made in China or maybe it said Indonesia :) ) selling for $449 at my local Guitar dealer in Des Moines. Where are they priced at $400? That would cover a nice case for it.

Also, it would be Vintage Cherryburst, not a Strawberry Sunburst ( it looks more Strawberry to me in color than cherry however!)

I have seen that "Select Spruce" listed on a limited edition Gibson Hummingbird ($3700.00) so I didn't know what it meant for sure. Guess on the cheap seats EJ-200 it means laminated. Oh well, it was only $449 so you can't have it all.

Thanks for all the info. Anyone ever had a "real" Dove to play? As in real I mean a USA Montana made Gibson. I just have a 1972 Alvarez Dove (with the tune-o-matic bridge) and a new Epiphone Dove. Someday I may just have to drop by that Bozeman, MT Gibson factory, when I'm out on a Bike tour, and see what it's all about.

Yeee Haww

Aster

I should be more descriptive in my posts' date=' brains moving faster than my fingers I guess.

It is a Inspired By Paul McCartney 1964 Texas...

Aster[/quote']

If it was made in China, and has a sunburst, it is an "Inspired By 1964 Texan"--there's no "Paul McCartney" in there. Very nice guitar by all accounts, so far, but not the same thing exactly.

The "Inspired By 1964 Texan" is based on the "Paul McCartney 1964 Texan" (which of course, was based on the orignal, Gibson-made Epiphone Texans of the '60s). It comes in two finishes (natural and a shaded burst), is made in China (as noted), and has electronics. It also has a fixed bridge. It's a new model this year, and should sell for around $450.

The "Paul McCartney 1964 Texan" was a limited edition of 1,964 guitars built in Japan, and originally retailed for almost four times what the new "Inspired by 1964 Texan" sells for. It was built with premium materials, has an adjustable bridge, and a facsimile of Paul's signature on the soundhole label. It also came with a case that Paul's signature embroidered on it, and a COA.

The "Paul McCatney1964 USA Texan" was also a limited edition, built in even fewer numbers (290), in Bozeman, Montana. Each was hand-signed by McCartney, and sold for between $4K and $25K +, depending on whether it was antiqued to duplicate the nicks and scratches on Paul's Texan.

Not trying to be nitpicky. I just want to make sure you're not paying a "Paul McCartney" price for an "Inspired By" model, as there's already some of that going around.

Red 333

My advice, get a Texan and keep the Jumbo. You couldn't have selected two guitars from the Epi acoustic product line that would be more difficult to draw comparison. Yes, your top is Spruce. About Spruce, it is a pine tree that grows throughout the northern hemisphere. Not very rare, or expensive (as far as woods go) but almost all quality acoustic manufacturers use a Spruce top for it's special tonal qualities. It is highly unlikely that it would be a laminate. Many manufacturers even the high end, will use a split two piece top. You should be able to identify a two piece by looking at the top, and view the seam running from the tail through the bridge toward the center of the fretboard. A lot of players put emphasis on a solid top, however, the reason it is done is to save money. A joined top is actually stronger but requires an extra process. Personally, I can tell no difference in the tone.

Your EJ has a maple body. I love maple bodies, (think Dove). They are resonant, with a thicker broadcast. But, very sensitive to string selection. Whether you select a normal acoustic string, or an electric acoustic string, choose a quality string, preferably that are coated. They may cost a little more, but you will find that in addition to the superior tone, they are robust and give longer life. Bluegrass strings are completely unsuitable for maple, unless you are a very contrite flat picker. Even if you are, you'll find that a good set of coateds will sound and function better.

Here's one of my favorite guitarist, playing his favorite acoustic, a maple bodied AJ Epi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfyBkv7-rFQ&feature=related

The new Texans I've played have a mahogany body. Mahogany doesn't have the broadcast of the maple. It is darker, and smoother, but I like smoother and darker. It would be much more suitable for bluegrass play and less sensitive to string selection.

Personally though, I couldn't live without a maple bodied acoustic. My Dove is old, and I've been considering the EJ.

Thanks for the concern Red and me not over paying. It's not represented as a "real" Japan or Bozeman MT Paul McCartney. Just a good copy of a copy I guess. $450.00 plus case

Also, I'll keep the EJ-200CE as, again, only $450.00 plus case. It does sound good and I'll take the suggestions on the coated strings for all my maple guitars like the Dove and the EJ. What seems to work out best for the Mahog. bodies for strings? I case I grab that Texan.

Also, the store found me this case for the EJ. Man I think that will look really good with the Sunburst and the Violet case interior. Epi only had a couple of these left and had to look for them.

Epi Jumbo case

Best I could do as this post page wouldn't let me insert a photo I had of it.

Thanks to all again.

Aster

It is highly unlikely that it would be a laminate. Many manufacturers even the high end' date=' will use a split two piece top. You should be able to identify a two piece by looking at the top, and view the seam running from the tail through the bridge toward the center of the fretboard. A lot of players put emphasis on a solid top, however, the reason it is done is to save money. A joined top is actually stronger but requires an extra process. Personally, I can tell no difference in the tone.

[/quote']

Virtually if not all acoustic guitar tops (and backs) are made from two pieces of wood joined at the center. That is not what makes a top solid or not; it is whether each of those two pieces itself is solid or laminate. Tops described as "select" are laminate, plain and simple. "Select" tops are often used in lower priced instruments, as are laminate sides and backs.

Even though the IB64 Texan and EJ200 are similarly priced, Epiphone uses a laminate top on the jumbo EJ200 because the top's lower bout is so much wider than a standard dreadnaught's. To cut the wider top of a jumbo size guitar like the EJ200, the manufacturer would require wider billets of solid wood than usual. That would be both more expensive and create more waste when the much smaller waist and upper bout is cut away. That would mean Epiphone would have to charge more for the guitar.

By the way, while spruce may be a common tree, there is actually a world wide shortage of spruce wide enough to produce a guitar top. Spruce is commonly used in home and building construction, and the demand for it causes the trees to be harvested before they grow wide enough to be used in guitar manufacturing. There's a growing concern that it will become increasingly hard to get in the future, too.

Red 333

Hi Everyone,

I'm Ron. This is my 1st post. I've wanted to see an Inspired by Texan in person since they were announced but no one in the Atlanta area has had one. Tonight I stumbled into the local Sam Ash,and there it was. It played and sounded good. For the money, it would be a better choice than the EJ200.

This Texan was a natural finish. They did not have a sunburst in stock.The top on this guitar book matched very well,but it had some dark lines here & there that would keep me from buying this one. Also the back had four or five 1/8" pin knots. They need to be more selective with their tops & backs. The "guy" said he had to do a set up on it out of the box to make it play right.(neck adj,file the nut etc.) It must have been really bad, because I've never seen a properly set up instrument at Sam Ash. Everyone ordering one online,cross your fingers,and hope you get a good one. All in all it was a good guitar,and I will buy one as soon as I see the right one!....Ron

Hi Aster 1, just wanted to ask you what you thought of your 'Epi Dove' and what strings you have on it. I've just got one brand new and just had a set-up done adding a Tusq saddle and new 11 gauge D'addario strings. Just about to get it back and can't wait to play it, so hoping I can notice a difference for the money i have spent on it etc.

Anyone else with a Epi Dove - let me know what you think of your Doves!!!

Paulocon

Hi Paulocon,

I believe that I have D'Addario EJ26 Custom Light 11-52 Phosphor Bronze on it now. I changed the bridge from plastic to bone right away and it sounded great. Really wasn't that hard to file and duplicate the plastic one so I did it myself. It really plays nice, improved the bass voice and now after playing for a few months, as much as I can anyway, it is really playing/sounding much much better than when I picked it up. I love this Dove a bunch and that's why I was wondering about a USA made Gibson Dove as a keeper.

I will try some of the "coated" strings that others have recommended for the Dove and the EJ-200. I may go over and make a deal on the Texan this weekend or next week sometime. If it's gone that it wasn't mine and a better one will come in.

Aster

Hi there, Aster1 - I have done pretty much the same (added D'addario 11 gauge and had a 'Tusq' saddle put in) and now this little baby sounds sweet as a nut!!! Really looking forward to this opening up now over the next few months too!! I would love to know how these Epi Doves compare to the Gibson versions - maybe we could start a thread to find out!!

I think I might also post some pics of it now I have it back (Guitar tech guy has taken 2 weeks to fit the 'Tusq' saddle and do a proper set up on it) but well worth it!

Sooo glad it change from 12 gauge strings to 11 gauge - what a difference....much sweeter and mellow sounding now, me thinks!!

Take care

Paulocon

Archived