Gibson Brands Forums

Is it bone or plastic?

Robie

Hi!

I ordered some saddle blanks from the gibson custom shop. They were supposed to be vintage bone. They certainly doesn't look vintage. They are white. And when I made one with my bare hands and some sand paper the dust that came of smelled like chlorine. Sounds familiar? Is it plastic? Bone ? What is it? I ordered it through Fullers vintage guitars.

Kind regards,

RobiE

I have made quite a few bone nuts and saddles including three today and they sure smell but not like chlorine. I use a power sander to grind them and they smell like burning bone or a chicken thats been set on fire or something a lot worse than chlorine. sanding bone and working with hide glue are the reason I don't eat or have my wife's help when I build guitars

yours might be Tusq or a composite :-k

Hi I do agree.... I have sanded some Mammoth fosile ivory before and I know that smell. But this smell was different. Like Chlorine. So I think it's plastic or something. But I have ordered New mammoth fosile ivory from Bob Colosi so I will make new some new saddles but this time I wanna be SURE that it's bone... Cause the one I got from Gibson smells like Chlorine are total white and sounds fair. But I don't think it's bone. It's originally vintage bone on that J-200 Elite Custom Shop. And the saddle that came with it doesn't look or smell the same at all. But I've sanded that one for a very low set up and need some choices to get the different sounds and playing sounds I want.

Thank you for all the help :-k

Kind regards

RobiE

But I have ordered New mammoth fosile ivory from Bob Colosi

All my acoustics have saddles and pins from Bob. You can trust what you get from him and he is great to call if you have any questions.

I usually go with Fossilized Walrus Ivory saddles and bone pins...just because it seems like the most cost effective combo.

I know many are suspicious, but I think there is a definite tone improvement with both the upgraded pins and saddle.

Hi!

Just wanted to say that I got the saddles from Bob Colosi. Great material (fosile Mammoth Ivory) I made two saddles and it really made a difference.. And they smelled a bit like chlorine as well... So the other saddle I got from Gibson was also bone, but not as it should be.

My suggestion is that the material is bone and it has been bleached. The chlorine scent you are getting comes from the bleach which has embedded in the bone during the whitening process.

The dust when you sand or work bone is very fine. None of the composite materials I have worked with have this fine dust. So, if the material is hard, but workable, smells like Javex and leaves a very fine sanding dust it is likely bleached bone.

Archived