Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Legend 1942 J-45 reissue -anyone play one?

Old Neil

Hi guys and girls, lurker here but first post.

Mostly a Martin guy but have owned a J-200 as my first serious guitar.

Interested to hear about the Legend 1942 J-45 GIbson is offering now. No reviews available in my searches at least.

Does anyone know how they sound, particularly in comparison with the standard J-45?

Thanks,

O.N.

I've played the J-45 Modern Classic, True Vintage and the 1942 and what sticks out in my mind is. The 1942 has a sweet vintage sound and look, Red Spruce top and a fat neck but the price tag is a bit steep. The Modern Classic has the advantage of a pickup, a thinner neck and grover tuners. Both sound great but to put it simply, the 1942 has a more vintage tone than the Modern Classic.

As Cunkhead suggested you may want to try one of the J-45 True Vintage series. It rests nicely in between the Modern Classic and 1942. It has more of a 50's to 60's vintage tone, kind of along the lines of early Bob Dylan recordings. I have one and she's an amazing guitar.

I just got a used J45 Legend a few week's ago. It is the best sounding and looking modern Gibson that I've ever played or seen. The only drawback for me is the HUGE neck. I knew going in that the neck was big but didn't count on it being this big. These Legends are pretty expensive new but getting it used save me quite a few dollars.

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome and prompt and helpful replies.

Yes, the neck could be an issue as this is what put me off the Martin D-18 Authentic. Not sure if the Legend is similar in that regard but from your comments I suspect so.

Next up, the True Vintage would be good if there were any to try where I live (I'm an Australian based in Stockholm, Sweden). I've got to play three different standard J-45's and noticed that they vary somewhat in tone from each other. I've been advised even by Gibson lovers to try before buying as they do vary a lot. This rules out online sales. Even with return policies reverse shipping internationaly could get expensive!

Regarding reviews, there seems to be no shortage of standard J-45 and even a few RW J-45 reviews online (Harmony Central, e-pinions et al) but non for this or the True Vintage. I've managed to find a few discussions on this site that included these models however.

So final question in a longish post eusa_listen.gif... , What is the difference between the True Vintage line and the Historic line of a few years ago?

HI< this is my first post here. I am a regular contributor over at UMGF but have always been a Gibson lover too.

My Legend 1942 J-45 is without doubt my most amazing, beguiling, responsive and wonderful to play guitar. I don't find the neck at all a problem compared to the long-scale chunky necks. I love the feel of the neck. THE playability is incredible and she is getting better every day. I have struck gold with Newtone Masterclass Mediums, bone pins - wow, what presence and evenness, it is deceptively good this guitar. You don't realise just how good until you put her in the mix with a few other instruments, then the tone and power of this voice is quite astonishing. Going back to my other guitars, God bless 'em is always a shock. The only thing my 67 Hummingbird has over this guitar is age.

cheers aad.

Just tried one today. Very responsive, full tone, bright top, drier than most slopes. Best comparison is to an OJ, or maybe a mple AJ. Compared to std j45: richer, no harshness in upper register. To TV: folks looking for explosive TV-like response in the 42 will be disappointed, but if you like dry vintage tone its there. Not everyone will like the neck but its quite playble, unless you do a lot of bar chords.

Good Q, Cunk. Dry= strong fundamental, not a huge amount of overtones. Very clean. Punchy. Phat. Like a tele through an amp without any effects. The TV in contrast is touch sensitive, gets a lot of sound going in a hurry (brarrrang). Tele through a Vibroverb. Std historics are nowhere near as lively as as Tvs, but are brighter, more forward sounding than the 42, with some tendency to harshness in the top end. J

Archived