Gibson Brands Forums

Amp fading out

AS90

Tough one to guess at. Sounds like a component is failing after it warms up and it could be almost anything, capacitor, resistor, diode, tube.

Before spending money on shot gunning a solution I would take it to a tech unless you are good at trouble shooting electronics yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I forgot I posted this question! So, the amp has worked fine now for a week or so, but it happened again today. The sound just fades to nothing in about 5 seconds, there is still power to it, just no sound. After 5 minutes it was working again?

I dont want to take it to a tech as it was only £62 new and is supposed to be a modding platform! (still stock after 3 years! )

Are the tubes still lit up when the sound fades out ?

Ok, I just sat here playing for an hour watching the tube and waiting for it to die! Finally went, and yes the tube stopped glowing as the sound died. The sound came back briefly and so did the glow before going again.

The glow in your tubes is due to your filament heater getting enough juice to operate. As voltage to the filament drops, so will the glow, and because the tube can't operate without it, your output volume drops off as this happens.

Simply clean the pressure contacts inside the heater winding's fuse holder. Buff 'em with steel wool to get any remaining factory varnish and oxidation off of 'em. If they aren't flat, file 'em. You need as much surface area in contact with the fuse as is possible. And use some ProGold metal treatment or something if you've got it to keep the contact pads clean and conducting properly. End of problem.

Gil...

The glow in your tubes is due to your filament heater getting enough juice to operate. As voltage to the filament drops' date=' so will the glow, and because the tube can't operate without it, your output volume drops off as this happens.

Simply clean the pressure contacts inside the heater winding's fuse holder. Buff 'em with steel wool to get any remaining factory varnish and oxidation off of 'em. If they aren't flat, file 'em. You need as much surface area in contact with the fuse as is possible. And use some ProGold metal treatment or something if you've got it to keep the contact pads clean and conducting properly. End of problem.

Gil...[/quote']

I'll give it a go, cheers.

Archived