Gibson Brands Forums

Country Western!?! Help!

aceman199

Hello guys! ....So, I think it's been almost a year since I posted on here, but alas! I'm still alive and my SJ200 is doing great. However, I have come across an old natural Southern Jumbo (CW) for sale and wondering what you guys think about it and possibly what you think it is worth.

So far I haven't seen the guitar yet, and am waiting to see a pic. The serial, which I haven't had the greatest of luck with yet is 171900. Maybe '64? It is sellin' for 1500...say's it's from the 50s. I'll keep you updated if I get a pic and some responses here. Thanks!

-Ace

WB aceman

Can't help a whole lot accept agree that serial number seems to indictae a 64.

There's one on sale in Canterbury UK at the moment for £1K. It's pretty beat up.

Is that the one with the screwed down scratch plate

Pics would be good there are guys lurking around here who can then tell you the inside leg measurement of the guy who screwed in the machine heads.

I have come across an old natural Southern Jumbo (CW) for sale and wondering what you guys think about it and possibly what you think it is worth. Maybe '64? It is sellin' for 1500. -Ace

Ace. First off' date=' is is a square or slope shoulder? A round shoulder would make it 50s and a potentially good value. Depending on its condition. Square shoulder would make it 60's. Spoiler alert. After 62, Gibson's flattops had heavier braces, bigger bridgeplates, & thicker pickguards, all tone dampening effects. Skinny necks. Its old, not vintage. Price is average for such.

Is it worth it? For sake of comparison, 1.5k can net a [used'] Gib Sheryll Crow, with a more playable neck, tuners that work and a more lightly braced top--the CW unleashed! 1900 @Fullers Vintage in Tejas can net a slope CW, for a more aggressive tone.

And his sister's name is Gladys and she was the first girl in Sheboygan in 1960 to buy a Valiant, before the marque was absorbed by the Chrysler Corporation. He once saw her naked at Camp Itchybuttrash and later wrote a song dedicated to her. He recorded it on a Lafayette reel to reel and sent a copy to Ray Davies who changed the lyrics and melody slightly and it ended up as "Come Dancing", their biggest US hit in 1982.

James got a nice card.

Gladys retired, a spinster, from the Sheboygan Water Works, where she was in Accounts Payable from 1959 to 1996. She is reported to be still living in her upstairs apartment over the pet store on Ashton Avenue. Nobody has heard from her since St. Patrick's Day and there has reportedly been an odd odor in the hallway but so far it's been blamed on the overstock of guinea pigs at the store.

LSG, KSD + GB

^another lyric alert for cunkhead!!

ROFLMAO Guys!

You're on a roll today!

And you three were some of the guys I had in mind when I made the comment!

Have a good one!

John

You forgot to add that James was drunk the day he screwed on those machines heads. So' date=' the B tuner is crooked 1.23mm.[/quote']

James knew this because he measured the distance with his highly precision calibrated micrometer

that his father had bought for him the day he went to work and was fired from his job for being late because he had stopped to by his son a highly precision calibrated micrometer.

Digital%20Micrometer.jpg

Do you know something guys?

You lot are getting confuluted enough to be regarded as English!

I would take very great care if I were you to ensure a strange transformation doesn't occur.

You have already been infulltrated and now will shortly become indoctrinated by the wicked Alberjohn who has subtlely changed his avatar to introduce the game of cricket to you.

You carry on thinking like that and you'll all be drinking tea and eating muffins.

I would take very great care if I were you to ensure a strange transformation doesn't occur.

You have already been infulltrated and now will shortly become indoctrinated by the wicked Alberjohn who has subtlely changed his avatar to introduce the game of cricket to you.

You carry on thinking like that and you'll all be drinking tea and eating muffins.

My Dear Old Things

I shall soon be starting a string explaining the importance in life of a good forward defensive stroke but I'm struggling to make a connection with Gibson.

Perhaps Gibson made a guitar from English Willow at some stage?

My avatar celebrates the recall of Andrew (Freddie) Flintoff to the England Test Squad after an absence, through injury, of some 18 months. The Second Test against South Africa starts on Friday.

My Dear Old Things

I shall soon be starting a string explaining the importance in life of a good forward defensive stroke but I'm struggling to make a connection with Gibson.

My avatar celebrates the recall of Andrew (Freddie) Flintoff to the England Test Squad after an absence' date=' through injury, of some 18 months. The Second Test against South Africa starts on Friday.[/quote']

Do you see what I mean???

He is now feeding you all with "additional information" about Cricket and has surprisingly come out of the closet very early to announce his intentions of starting a string about good defensive strokes (back to Ronnie Woods wife again)

If you delve deeply enough you'll find that a George Orvil (not orville) Gibson playing county cricket for Surrey in the 20s.

Love and Peace

OOOWWWWWWASEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

I leave AJ to explain that!

My Dear Old Things

quote]

i think i know..here goes...

my dearest chap' date=' AJ,

is your bozeman bat indian or brazilian rosewood?

[img']http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg75/tara_marae/cricket.jpg[/img]

Cricket?!?!?!?! Hell, I thought his avitar was Justin Timberlake getting ready to respond to "Thank you sir, may I have another! "

Oh... and tea is just weak coffee and arn't muffins basically a donut without the hole? ;)

;)

...Nobody has heard from her since St. Patrick's Day and there has reportedly been an odd odor in the hallway....

Since St. Patty's day? My money is on the boiled cabbage of CB and Cabbage fame. A little bi-carb oughta clear that right up.

...Nobody has heard from her since St. Patrick's Day and there has reportedly been an odd odor in the hallway....

Since St. Patty's day? My money is on the boiled cabbage of CB and Cabbage fame. A little bi-carb oughta clear that right up.

I've also heard dousing the cabbage with cider vinegar, not the distilled,pasteurized,homogienized clear stuff, but the ambers tuff with 'bite', before eating it will abate the lingering after effects of consuming massiv quantities of boiled cabbage.

You forgot to add that James was drunk the day he screwed on those machines heads. So' date=' the B tuner is crooked 1.23mm.[/quote']

Rumor has it he was the one what mis-read the assembly plans and installed the 'tulip' truss rod cover upside down in the 'bell' orientation. All assemblers since him have been doin' it the same way as James, defending themselves by saying, "It's the way we always done it. The Engineers musta designed it wrong."

My Dear Old Things

My avatar celebrates the recall of Andrew (Freddie) Flintoff to the England Test Squad after an absence' date=' through injury, of some 18 months. The Second Test against South Africa starts on Friday.[/quote']

I uh... don't think that baseball bat is legal. A propper bat is supposed to be round in cross section. ](*,)

Then again maybe he's directing traffic in the parking lot. ](*,)

Well, I'm already giving my measurements in metric. Now, I guess I'll have to buy a Mini Cooper...oh!, wait...that's a German car now.

Cricket?!?!?!?! Hell' date=' I thought his avitar was Justin Timberlake getting ready to respond to "Thank you sir, may I have another! "

Oh... and tea is just weak coffee and arn't muffins basically a donut without the hole? =P~

:-$ [/quote']

Dear oh dear. I fear this is going to be a task of Amazonian proportions. There, thank you cunkhead. Amazonian Rosewood. That'll do for me.

Now I suppose Willow must be rubbish as a tonewood because if it were not so, then why don't we see it. By the same token Rosewood is probably too heavy and splinters too easily - just ask Pete Townshend - to withstand the punishment of repeatedly hitting a cricket ball.

Visit the BBC website and follow the links to cricket. There is a live text (sort of a written commentary) throughout the day. This, should you be at all interested, will give you an introduction. If you can get Test Match Special ("TMS") commentary from the internet - same website - then have a listen too.

We'll soon have you in touch with your English ancestry, if you have one. BTW, I'm 3/4 Irish so what do I know?

Archived