Gibson Brands Forums

I got a Hummingbird

Malpaso

I got a hummingbird over a week ago.

My old acoustic was a lot easier to play.

I love the new Hummingbird but the strings are massive!!!

I have ordered some ernie ball medium earthwood strings 13- 56's does anyone think they will make any difference to my poor fingers??

What size are on there now?

The only way to know if you like them is to try them. When I went from lights to mediums, it took about a week of playing to build up fretting strength. After that.... no worries.

I think H'birds come from the factory with 12's on so gong to 13's will make it harder to play (thicker strings-more tension) and some say that 13's can cause problems with the structure of the guitar.

I have an H'bird which I treated to a bone nut and saddle and I string it with Elixir Phos Bronze 12's and it plays great and it sings!

Enjoy your bird

All the best, Matt

The Hummingbird I bought last July probably came with 12's, but were dead as dead could be - they were actually rusty. The action was really high, too so I had them put on a new set of strings (12's) and lower the action before I walked out of the store with it. (I don't know what the string height was before they worked on it, but it was really high - it came from the factory like that).

I got a hummingbird over a week ago.

My old acoustic was a lot easier to play.

I love the new Hummingbird but the strings are massive!!!

I have ordered some ernie ball medium earthwood strings 13- 56's does anyone think they will make any difference to my poor fingers??

you might consider taking it to a shop for a setup, if the action is too high it can be a world of hurt on your fingers too.

• 10 months later...

Archived