Gibson Brands Forums

Interested in a maple J-35/45 custom

Dave in SLC

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had much experience with the slope-shouldered jumbos in maple? As far as vintage guitars go, I know that Russ Barenberg ( www.russbarenberg.com ) favors a banner maple, and many other folks have said these were some of the best guitars Gibson has ever built. But how about a recent maple jumbo, or even a custom maple jumbo?

If you've played a recent maple jumbo, what did you think of it? A 'great' guitar that would sound even better with some more time on it, or too 'bright' -- a guitar that would need some time and a lot of playing just to sound bearable?

Thanks for your thoughts or experiences!

Dave in SLC

thanks for the link. russ' playing is beautiful and he's got quite a nice collection too by the looks of it. i played a j185 maple w/nat finish (not a slope, though) yesterday and would define it as very crisp and shimmery. not a huge j200 or aj sound as far as projection goes but with the note separation required in fingerstyle playing.

Over the years, I've played a maple AJ reissue, and a couple of maple J45 reissues. I like maple better than other tonewoods, so take it with a grain of salt----but I thought they were all well above the norm as far as tone. Not bright, but brilliant----warm, woody bass tones, not altogether unlike like an archtop----and killer midrange punch.

I picked up a Maple J-45 about 4 months ago. Bought it without hearing it. I wasn't happy with the sound at first (I always played rosewood), then I put on a set of bluegrass strings and now it is my favorite guitar (at the moment that is). Very defined sound. You can hear every note.

Keep in mind that Russ's maple J-45, like all maple flattops during WWII, has laminated back and sides. Modern maple Gibsons, and the flattops before the war, usually have solid maple back and sides. As a result, the wartime guitars have a very distinctive tone.

For my banner Gibsons book, I've interviewed Russ at length about his maple Banner J-45. He's a fine a speaker as a player!

I have a quilted maple slope-shouldered SJ, ordered from the Custom Shop last year.

Sounds great.

Looks great.

IMGP5439.jpg

Plays very nice.

I recommend the combination of slope shoulders and maple.

Fred

Sorry Dave, I just had to make a comment on shrimer guitar.

Nice Southern Jumbo Fred , I like the longer saddle, tiger stripe pick-guard and the finish is one of the nieces I've seen.

It reminds me of the finish on Neil's quilted J-45.

May you have many years of happiness with your new guitar.

Dave-

You know how I feel!!! Nothing like a good maple guitar. My two favorite maples- the old L7 and the new L-00. EVERY year at the Fiddle Tunes festival, one or two visiting artists try to pry the L7 away from me- This year was no exception.

If I was you, I'd get a J35 custom with flamed maple back and sides. The question I have is the topwood for your guitar. (Isn't this fun- designing someone else's guitar with someone else's money?) I think I'd look into something other than red spruce. Scalloped red spruce bracing, for certain. But ask Ren what he'd recommend for a player with a lighter attack- such as yourself. Maybe Alpine spruce?

This could be a stunner!!!

I think an old jumbo with maple body must be a sweet guitar. By the way, does anybody know if old jumbos 35 (and then 45) shared the same X-brace pattern with the Advanced Jumbo? I've read somewhere that they had the shorter scale of course, but a similar if not the same X brace angle.

By the way' date=' does anybody know if old jumbos 35 (and then 45) shared the same X-brace pattern with the Advanced Jumbo?[/quote']

My understanding is that the AJ had a wider angle, 103 deg vs 102 on the 35/45. These days, also used on the true vintage slope js.

Hi Sal! You were missed this year! And Fred, you were missed also! I was hoping to meet you, and try out the customs you previously wrote about, the SJ-200 Elite and J-185.

I hadn't heard or read anything about this new custom SJ! #-o How long have you had it? Would you be willing to share the details and thinking that went into your custom order? I would like to consider something similar, but based on the J-35 rather than the SJ, if that would work out just as well.

Thanks,

Dave in SLC

Archived