Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic Guitar Amp

HonkyDog

Hello.

I've been reading for awhile, but this is my first post. I have a question for those "in the know" here. I'm planning on buying a amp for my Hummingbird. The goal is to play smaller venues, such as coffee houses, restaurants, outside patios, etc. The largest venue would be 30 to 40 people, 50 tops. My style is ballads, folk, soft rock, and lcountry rock. So the question is: what would be a good amp to buy? I live in a rural area and don't have a lot of access to try things out.

Thanks!

Welcome Honky Dog!!!

I would highly suggest an UltraSound AG50 (or even the AG30 might work). They are very light weight yet they have an incredible acoustic sound that makes a guitar sound like a guitar only louder. The AG50 also has input for vocal mic, headphones and cd/Ipod. They also have some very useable effects.

They are reasonably priced, great looking and even better sounding. I had one and only let it go in a trade because I had my 75lb Genz Benz Shenendoah 200 Watt Stereo Deluxe amp. It is bigger for playing and using in our church but I still wish I had kept the 30 lb UltraSound for when I go play at my buddies house....

Well, I'd definitely try going through the PA with it. It's the best solution for me. I set up my PA with the best sound for my vocal, then my guitar plugs into an equalizer, then the mixer into another channel. I tried a few amps but this works best for me, and it's less equipment to carry. I play a lot of venues like you describe.

I have used Genz Benz acoustic amps and they are really good. Right now I'm playing through a new L.R. Baggs Acoustic Reference amp and really enjoying the tone I'm getting with it. The Baggs amp is a little pricey but at two hundred watts it's got plenty of power in case you want to do bigger gigs.

Well' date=' I'd definitely try going through the PA with it. It's the best solution for me. I set up my PA with the best sound for my vocal, then my guitar plugs into an equalizer, then the mixer into another channel. I tried a few amps but this works best for me, and it's less equipment to carry. I play a lot of venues like you describe.[/quote']

JOESTONE,

Are you going through a PA that is already at the venue, or do you have one of your own? If the latter, that sounds like a lot of stuff to carry to each gig. If the former, then it's not an option for me; the venues don't have a PA.

Yea I thought if you were singing it would be through a PA rather than a guitar amp. I wouldn't think of singing through a 10" guitar speaker. Depends on how good you want it to sound. It is a bit to carry: 2 15" speakers, 2 stands, rack (400 watt crown amp, FX, EQ) mic stand, guitar and suitcase with mixer, cords and cables, etc...Of course you could use smaller speakers. Anyway, it takes about 20 minutes for me to set up.

setup.jpg

Archived