Gibson Brands Forums

Since we don't have an off-topic area...I met Zakk Wylde yesterday

Raptor

Ozzy is doing two shows in Halifax, tonight and Monday the 28th. I have tickets for Monday's show. Anyway, Zakk was in at MusicStop in Halifax on Friday to sign some autographs. I took a couple of hours off, went and got fitted for a lift chair, and then went to see Zakk. It was a cold wait until I got into the store, and I was in a lot of pain by the end of it, even with the dilaudid I had with me. He is a wild man to say the least, but he is very dedicated to his fans. He met and signed one item each for 150 people, I had bracelet 149 and let #150 go ahead, so I was the last one to meet him. He was full of hugs for everyone, greeting them like they were his best friend. He auctioned off a Zakk Wylde Mini Marshall stack, that he had his brother throw him at (the money went to charity). I stopped at $475, and had to fight off the urge to buy a guitar for him to sign. I settled for a replacement pickguard for my 57 Gold top reissue. I have exceeded my bandwidth at photbucket, and haven't finished setting up my all my home network, so I still can't post to my own site either, but I will get pics of it up if you want. I put it on the R7 and took a couple of pics, then took it off and stored it. Zakk and I had a long talk about Gold tops, old Les Pauls in general and Ozzy. I also caught one of the BLS swag caps they were throwing to the crowd, and I think one of the store staff was taking a lot of pics and may have got a pic of me and Zakk together. He signed the pick guard "George Stay Strong, God Bless, Zakk Wylde" and also wrote the date and "Les Paul" on the PG. Although I am still sore from all the standing in line, it was well worth it.

I also put my deposit down on a 50th Anniversary 1958 Les Paul reissue. Not a lot of details are out on it yet, but it is aged, supposedly by Tom Murphy (I am awaiting confirmation on that), and will be flame tops. The MSRP in Canada is about $7600 and the rep said that they were hoping to get 25 of the 200 for Canada. ETA for the R8 is around May. maybe soonerIf you are interested in one of the 25 Jimmy Page LP Customs that are going to be signed by him, they will list for about $25K and only 1 is coming to Canada. They are planning to draw to see which store gets it.

Very cool! I think that basically Zakk is a good man. A while back he met a little boy in a music store somewhere in Canada and bought him a new guitar. He told the kid he could have any guitar he wanted. That's absolutely great! He also got them backstage at the concert.

Yeah I heard something like that. I am not sure if it is the same story or not, but this is what I heard. Some young kid had won a Zakk Wylde guitar, to be signed by Zakk. When it came time to present it and sign it, it was an Epiphone, and Zakk bought the kid a Gibson Zakk Wylde and signed it instead. He really is a great guy at heart.

The store sold 8 Zakks that day, most if not all Epiphones. I asked if they had any left and they didn't. If they had, I probably would have bought one and gotten it signed. But I fought the urge to buy anything else (except another R8). The only two guitars that I have signed are two Godins signed by Robert Godin the owner of the company. They are signed on the back of the headstock.

Raptor, first off, good to see a familiar face on here. I never thought I'd return to this forum, but gave the new improved makeover a second glance. It's looking good now, and so much easier to access than before. Anyway, you're truly a great presence to this board, so it's a good thing you stuck around as well. That's pretty cool you met the wild man himself....sounds like a real humble cat despite his badass reputation. ( just never drink his beer) LOL. He seems to know his LPs, which in many cases some players couldn't care less what model they have in their hands.

Good luck on that 50th anni RI....and post pics when you get it. Ahhh thats a given. :-k/

Wow, Zakk is a legend in his own lifetime. We have a massive rock concert in Wellington this Easter called rock2wgtn.

Kiss, Alice Cooper, Lordi, Whitesnake and Ozzy Osbourne. I'll be there of course, got my tickets already. It would be sooooo cool to me him. I've actually got a Zakk Wylde microstack, wah pedal and a 96 LP standard with EMG's and a BLS decal on the front.

Gatsforsale002.jpg

Gary

Archived