Gibson Brands Forums

I think I can better your day today?

hemply

So I have been stressing over the decision of buying a 1967 Gibson J-200 Custom or this sweet Lowden 35 I stumbled across at my local GC when it first came into the store July 6th, then played it again this past Saturday.

I'm stressing because in the past 4 weeks I have spent $5200 on guitars, and I have to renew my malpractice insurance this Friday for the year. That stuff is major expensive and they want all the money up front no payment plans on that deal. So I was hoping the Lowden would still be in the showroom when my next pay check rolls in on Aug 1st? I know damn well right it will be gone, it's too fine a guitar to sit around very long.

Anyway I saw my last patient for the day this morning around 11:30 and I'm leaving the office when I check my messages. I get a message from the manager at my local GC telling me to call him as soon as I get the message!

Now I'm thinking "geez they sold it", or even worse something happened to my G0 that I bought on the 4th of July and have it there for a set up and some other personalized tweaking!!! Well, at least I insured it.

So I call the manager and he tells me to get my *** over there that Mr. Joe Walsh is in the store buying guitars!

He's peforming tonight in Atlantic City at The Borgata with the Eagles and drove over to my GC to do some shopping!

Atlantic City is about a 45 minute drive to my GC and I live in Philly so I am a 20 minute drive to the GC

Anyway, Joe bought 5 guitars! He bought a Les Paul Classic (Gold Top) that I played on the 4th but opted for my G0, he bought an SG Diablo that I played just this past Saturday when I was in there, he bought a Les Paul Jr., and I think the other two guitars were Fenders... eh? He was talking about his '59 LP and how when he buys guitars now it's all about how they look and sound since he already has his main squeeze! He didn't even plug them in, he played them acoustically, felt the neck, and listened to the sustain.

Most importantly it's not what Joe Walsh bought but what he didn't buy! It seems he was showing interest in a certain 6 string acoustic! =P~

Get this... the GC manager tells me he knows how I have a serious hardon for the Lowden and says to me: "I'm taking it off the floor, it's not for sale, it's all YOURS!!!!! WTF? (no money down!)

But I might not be able to get you the cash until Aug 1st? "No problem I will put it in for pick up Aug 31st, if you need more time take what you need"!

They have nothing but love for me at my GC and I have nothing but love for them!

This makes up for the 1968 J-200 Custom that I was about to pull the trigger on back in April. I was about to get her when I realized it was April 15th and Mr. Tax Man wanted his for the year! I had to wait another week until I got my next pay check, when I did I went it to get her but the guitar player from some band called "The Roots" had beat me to the '68 J-200 Custom by two days! Grrrrr!!!!

I think taking a guitar out of the hands of Mr. Joe Walsh to put it away from me with no money down really makes up for the '68.... dont you?

What an awesome day!!!!!!

Man that's more than service with a smile. Congrats on having a great dealer who knows you. That is worth a lot when you need them to hang onto a guitar for you. My local shop has done the same thing for me. IN fact they've let me take guitars home with the agreement to pay the bill in 30 days. Just because they know me and know I'll do what I say. Cool story and guitar. Can't wait to see pics.

Man that's more than service with a smile. Congrats on having a great dealer who knows you. That is worth a lot when you need them to hang onto a guitar for you. My local shop has done the same thing for me. IN fact they've let me take guitars home with the agreement to pay the bill in 30 days. Just because they know me and know I'll do what I say. Cool story and guitar. Can't wait to see pics.

I was gonna wait until I got her home to take some shots but think I will head back over with camera in hand to take some shots of her, it may be a couple of weeks before I get her out. However I was just approved for a Home Equity Loan (no not for more guitars), the apprasier is coming out to the house tomorrow, so if I get all the paper work done by the end of the week I might just have that MIGHTY check in my hand by the weekend!!!

Guess what I will be going to pick up?? =P~

This makes up for the 1968 J-200 Custom that I was about to pull the trigger on back in April. I was about to get her when I realized it was April 15th and Mr. Tax Man wanted his for the year! I had to wait another week until I got my next pay check, when I did I went it to get her but the guitar player from some band called "The Roots" had beat me to the '68 J-200 Custom by two days! Grrrrr!!!!

i worked with the roots in march. sat around with their guitar player, kirk douglas ( that's really his name) as he played my J45. we discussed his buying it as he was looking for an acoustic. he asked what i wanted for it, i quoted rather high as i didn't really want to sell it. maybe if he had bought it, you'd have had the J-200. he told me a great story about vernon reid of living color giving him a les paul out of the blue one day. kirk was a youngster with skills but in need of a good instrument. vernon decided to pay his own good fortune forward by handing off the paul to this kid. the way kirk told the story, you could tell it meant a lot to him. kirk told me he has since passed on the guitar to another deserving young player. pretty cool. when i think back to an earlier thread about pete townshend smashing his guitar up, this story makes seem even more of a waste. BTW, the roots are an amazing band live. you should check them out.

no sweat. i still haven't figured out to use the quote feature to be able to pinpoint the part of the text i want to highlight. one of these days i'll sort it out.

Yeah

And one of these days I'll learn to read!

I don't know if there's a better way but I just hot the quote button then highlight the text I don't want and delete it.

Unscientific but sometimes effective dependent upon whether my varifocals are clean or dirty!

BR

Yeah

And one of these days I'll learn to read!

I don't know if there's a better way but I just hot the quote button then highlight the text I don't want and delete it.

Unscientific but sometimes effective dependent upon whether my varifocals are clean or dirty!

BR

that's what i did on the earlier one but it eliminated the fact that it was a quote. oh well.

i worked with the roots in march. sat around with their guitar player' date=' kirk douglas ( that's really his name) as he played my J45. we discussed his buying it as he was looking for an acoustic. he asked what i wanted for it, i quoted rather high as i didn't really want to sell it. maybe if he had bought it, you'd have had the J-200. he told me a great story about vernon reid of living color giving him a les paul out of the blue one day. kirk was a youngster with skills but in need of a good instrument. vernon decided to pay his own good fortune forward by handing off the paul to this kid. the way kirk told the story, you could tell it meant a lot to him. kirk told me he has since passed on the guitar to another deserving young player. pretty cool. when i think back to an earlier thread about pete townshend smashing his guitar up, this story makes seem even more of a waste. BTW, the roots are an amazing band live. you should check them out.[/quote']

another great story, JG. thanks.

This makes up for the 1968 J-200 Custom that I was about to pull the trigger on back in April. I was about to get her when I realized it was April 15th and Mr. Tax Man wanted his for the year! I had to wait another week until I got my next pay check' date=' when I did I went it to get her but the guitar player from some band called "The Roots" had beat me to the '68 J-200 Custom by two days! Grrrrr!!!!

i worked with the roots in march. sat around with their guitar player, kirk douglas ( that's really his name) as he played my J45. we discussed his buying it as he was looking for an acoustic. he asked what i wanted for it, i quoted rather high as i didn't really want to sell it. maybe if he had bought it, you'd have had the J-200. he told me a great story about vernon reid of living color giving him a les paul out of the blue one day. kirk was a youngster with skills but in need of a good instrument. vernon decided to pay his own good fortune forward by handing off the paul to this kid. the way kirk told the story, you could tell it meant a lot to him. kirk told me he has since passed on the guitar to another deserving young player. pretty cool. when i think back to an earlier thread about pete townshend smashing his guitar up, this story makes seem even more of a waste. BTW, the roots are an amazing band live. you should check them out.[/quote']

Kirk huh? Now I know his name I will have to hunt him down! LOL Just kidding. Hey I'm glad another "player" bought her instead of a collector. Just wish I was the player!

I was bummed about losing that J-200 Custom. It had a great price at $3600, that's about how much I could pick up a new SJ-200 for, so I decided to go vintage instead of new and ended up missing out by two days. =D>

Sometimes it be like that brother!

Then I found the 1967 J-200 Custom but they want $5500 for that one! A little higher in price but also in a better condition than the '68 looked to be.

I'm still not certian I wont get the '67, at that price I don't have to worry about her flying out the door and if she does... oh well. I really like the Lowden and liked it from the day I put my hands on it.

Things happen for a reason I guess?

Archived