Gibson Brands Forums

Good guitar shop in London?

MyJ-45

So, im in London for a week....without a guitar. My fingers will probably fall off. Does anyone know of a good friendly guitar shop that i can visit a few days while im here to play some Gibby's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

So' date=' im in London for a week....without a guitar. My fingers will probably fall off. Does anyone know of a good friendly guitar shop that i can visit a few days while im here to play some Gibby's?

[/quote']

Hi John

Welcome to UK

Right from the start guitar shops tend to be smaller and less well stocked than in the US IMHO.

I don't know quite why I am assuming you mean Central London but I am. Perhaps you're clinching a deal in the City to solve Bush's credit crisis!

If in the west end Head for Denmark Street in Soho

Angel guitars is good ( a forum member is going there on Friday pm to try some J185 -12

http://www.angelmusicguitars.com/

Hanks, in DenmarkStreet is great for vintage

http://www.denmarkstreetonline.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&shop=2

Majority of guitar shops are in "Tin Pan Alley" the locality of Denmark, Wardour Streets etc

In addition you have Andys , in Denmark Street , number 27 well known store and workshop.

The Holy Grail is Rare and Vintage Guitars at number 6 denmark street

http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com//

So That's Demanrk Street. However if you are out in the sticks Peter Cooks in Hanwell W7 is worth a look

http://petercooks.co.uk/

You should have given us some notice we'd have killed a fatted calf or something.

in Hanw

So' date=' im in London for a week....without a guitar. My fingers will probably fall off. Does anyone know of a good friendly guitar shop that i can visit a few days while im here to play some Gibby's?

[/quote']

What Johnt said.

Peter Cooks Guitar World is also very good. It's in Hanwell which is in West London and a bit of a pain to get to because the underground doesn't go that far. Depends where you are staying. Very good range of Gibsons and Fenders. I bought my Strat from there a couple of years ago.

MyJ-45, I'm planning on being in Denmark St myself on friday afternoon approx 4pm. Angel Guitars have 2 or 3 12 strings I want to see, so it would be great to say hello and maybe have a pint with a fellow forum member. If you're up for it, send me a pm and I'll let you have my mobile number.

If you're into basses, there's a good place on the edge of The City near Liverpool St station. Other than that, not a great deal I know of. Many are closing down.

If you need directions etc, only too pleased to assist.

Hope you are having a good time in our rainy little island.

Peter

What Johnt said.

Peter Cooks Guitar World is also very good. It's in Hanwell which is in West London and a bit of a pain to get to because the underground doesn't go that far. Depends where you are staying. Very good range of Gibsons and Fenders. I bought my Strat from there a couple of years ago.

MyJ-45' date=' I'm planning on being in Denmark St myself on friday afternoon approx 4pm. Angel Guitars have 2 or 3 12 strings I want to see, so it would be great to say hello and maybe have a pint with a fellow forum member. If you're up for it, send me a pm and I'll let you have my mobile number.

Peter[/quote']

Sorry AJ I went back and added the bit about Peter Cook.

Listen guys if you are meeting up then let's do it. Mr problem is that I have a meeting in Suffolk at 1.00 and will need to then drive back around the M25 to park up somewhere South and come in on the train.

My only condition is that you don't let me buy anything!

AJ I have PM'd my mobile, you and I will get that pint on Friday hopefully My J45 can come over too

It's his round! LOL

Sorry AJ I went back and added the bit about Peter Cook.

Listen guys if you are meeting up then let's do it. Mr problem is that I have a meeting in Suffolk at 1.00 and will need to then drive back around the M25 to park up somewhere South and come in on the train.

My only condition is that you don't let me buy anything!

AJ I have PM'd my mobile' date=' you and I will get that pint on Friday hopefully My J45 can come over too

It's his round! LOL [/quote']

Yes have seen the PC bit now. Great minds old chap.

I'm up for it on Friday. Only caveat is I will have to leave about 6ish to pick up my son from a cricket match. However, the forecast is rain so that may change.

MyJ-45, let us know how you are fixed.

John you might perhaps find it easier to park in Shenfield, just off the A12 and tackle the M25 later on. Just a thought.

Yes have seen the PC bit now. Great minds old chap.

I'm up for it on Friday. Only caveat is I will have to leave about 6ish to pick up my son from a cricket match. However' date=' the forecast is rain so that may change.

MyJ-45, let us know how you are fixed.

John you might perhaps find it easier to park in Shenfield, just off the A12 and tackle the M25 later on. Just a thought.[/quote']

You've got CRICKET into the thread again, haven't you?

I think I will do the work prior and park on the other side of the bridge, I have been stuck so many times trying to cross on Fridays.

Will aim to get yo Angel 4 ish PM me your mobile in case there's a problem?

My J45 let us know?

BR

John

thanks so much for your help guys!

well, actually i was planning on going guitar hunting today...i found out ill be out of town and today will be the only day i can really go to shops. ill be out of town on a few tours tomorrow so i can't go then, and then saturday and sunday will be sightseeing and what not. But Denmark street sounds like my ticket from what i understand, so ill definitely be going over there, if anyone is there today let me know where and when we could meet and jam or something, my cell phone doesn't work over here so shoot me a message on here and let me know! thanks again for all your help!

-John

thanks so much for your help guys!

well' date=' actually i was planning on going guitar hunting today...i found out ill be out of town and today will be the only day i can really go to shops. ill be out of town on a few tours tomorrow so i can't go then, and then saturday and sunday will be sightseeing and what not. But Denmark street sounds like my ticket from what i understand, so ill definitely be going over there, if anyone is there today let me know where and when we could meet and jam or something, my cell phone doesn't work over here so shoot me a message on here and let me know! thanks again for all your help!

-John[/quote']

Thanks John. Unfotunately I'm stuck in my office today so won't be in London at all. Shame. Make sure when you, or anyone else for that matter, are in London you let Johnt and I know so we can try to meet up.

Enjoy the tours. There's a massive amount of history in London. My favourite buildings are The Houses of Parliament, or The Palace of Westminster to give the correct title. If you get a chance, get on a tour around these buildings.

Thanks John. Unfotunately I'm stuck in my office today so won't be in London at all. Shame. Make sure when you' date=' or anyone else for that matter, are in London you let Johnt and I know so we can try to meet up.

[/quote']

Yeah sorry John, you should have said earlier but another time.

Ditto what AJ says if any one is in the smoke then give us a dog and bone.

He lives 35 miles North, me 35 miles South.

Airport service might be available at nominal charge, what shall we say Peter?

An AJ for you and a 'Bird for me the way the exchange rates going that'll be cheaper than a taxi LOL

BR

John

If I was in London I'd be there...unfortunately I'm in Bournemouth and without a car all weekend as my fiancee is off to her cousin's hen party, and I'm lending her my car 'til Sunday! Next time, count me in though!

Alright Im back. Went to Wunjo guitars on Denmark street. by FAR the best shop on Denmark street. A GREAT selection of vintage Gibby's so I enjoyed myself. The guys in there were VERY helpful and very nice. Didn't end up dropping serious cash on another Gibson today. Amazing guitars, but if im going to drop 1000+ pounds (like 2k) on a guitar i need to fall IN LOVE. So thanks guys for all the help and Its a shame we weren't able to meet and hang out but thats life i guess.

Alright Im back. Went to Wunjo guitars on Denmark street. by FAR the best shop on Denmark street. A GREAT selection of vintage Gibby's so I enjoyed myself. The guys in there were VERY helpful and very nice. Didn't end up dropping serious cash on another Gibson today. Amazing guitars' date=' but if im going to drop 1000+ pounds (like 2k) on a guitar i need to fall IN LOVE. So thanks guys for all the help and Its a shame we weren't able to meet and hang out but thats life i guess.[/quote']

John I hate you (smile)

Just went on to Wunjo's site and hit the "electric" button by mistake!

They're listing a '69 Byrdland, which is a guitar definitely on my wish list. Luckily its a shed load of money so it won;t be coming home with me tomorrow

Thanks for the ehads up I'd forgotten Wunjos

Hava good rest of holiday

Archived