Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 Custom Wiring

nitd_kim

I have bad wiring in my g-400 custom and I was wondering if anyone can share pictures of their wiring. It may have ground loop or a bad connection but I can't figure out where. I'll put up pictures of my wiring whenever my camera battery is recharged.

This might help without pictures but when i set my tone cap at 0, it stops 95% of the buzzing. 3 vol, 1 master tone cap set up.

2v0ialz.jpg

2mnkk5i.jpg

2ih176e.jpg

zwko50.jpg

wgooc0.jpg

2iag6ko.jpg

zvzvgm.jpg

33tjt79.jpg

[blink] [blink]

My God man, that looks like hell. Cold solder joints everywhere, blobs and blobs of solder all over the place, and lets not even get into that birds nest of a mess of wires.

Pull everything out and start over.

I think I'm gonna be a little sick... is this how you got the guitar or have you done this trying to fix it?

i think this is how it comes from factory (terrible) and i the really ugly solder balls are from me trying to quick fix some stuff. I do have a multimeter. noise is gone when Master Tone is set at 0, idk how to fix it :o. Multimeter reads that i do have connection to the bridge for ground but yea... lot of problems

i think this is how it comes from factory (terrible) and i the really ugly solder balls are from me trying to quick fix some stuff. I do have a multimeter. noise is gone when Master Tone is set at 0' date=' idk how to fix it :o. Multimeter reads that i do have connection to the bridge for ground but yea... lot of problems[/quote']

Re-flow all the ground connections, check you have a 0 reading to the bridge, but also to the ground of the jack as this is where the guitar actually takes its connection to ground; Solder flows on hot metal, but hot solder will set into blobs if it's brought into contact with cold metal and form a dry joint.

When your soldering a large body of metal such as the case of a pot wet the iron with fresh solder and heat the case just next to the solder joint eventually, and it can take a while, the solder will start to turn liquid and flow onto the metal.

If your soldering the wiper (middle) connections of the pots set all the pots to zero before you touch on the iron as the heat can cause a dead spot in the track of the pot and you dont want a dead spot at 10!

hope this helps!

Archived