Gibson Brands Forums

Newbie pics added

zeebee

Good Day,

My first posting on this forum, precipitated by my acquisition of a wonderful all original '59 J50 yesterday. This thing blows me away even though its never so much as had a setup. So many questions......... these adjustable saddles are way cool but I doubt they do much for tone. The original plastic pins are warped and turned soft. Otherwise its in great condition. But the sound..wow.I finally know what all the hoopla is regarding vintage.

I look forward to tapping into your knowledge and experience base.....this is gonna be fun.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum zeebee. You join a long list of fellow Canadians here. Hope you enjoy your J50 as well as the forum.

Let me be the first to recommend either Bob Colosi for pins, nuts. and saddles.

I and others here have also had decent luck with some pins we found on ebay.

Also StewMac is great for replacement parts of all types.

Welcome

It's a bit hard to find on his site but I recall that Colosi makes a replacement saddle for the adjustable saddle guitars. It's a non adjustable saddle that is thicker to fit the slot. Toss the adjustable in your case's tool box to save for posterity. As far as 'vintageness' goes. Saddles, pins and nut replacements do not affect the vintageness of a guitar... as long as, in the case of the nut, the installation is done well. These are 'wear items' that are expected to be replaced. Kind of like a vintage car's value isn't reduced by new brakes and tires.

But... since this is an adjustable saddle guitar and getting identical replacements is nigh on impossible, save the adjustable hardware for when this beast is retired... which is probably never.

Funny you should mention Bob...I spoke to him this morning.....great guy, selling good products..........anyway he tells me it would take him about a month to import a bone large enough to fit the ceramic saddle beast on there now. He suggested various options and pointed out the risk/reward thing. He was gracious enough to mention one of his competitors offers a tusq replacement unit. How many guys have the "class" to direct a customer to a competitor if it may be in their best interest. I'll mull over options for as long as it takes to make a decision. No rush as it still sounds better than anything I've ever strummed.

Thanks for the comments

I'll post pics in the next day or so.......

Funny you should mention Bob...I spoke to him this morning.....great guy' date=' selling good products..........anyway he tells me it would take him about a month to import a bone large enough to fit the ceramic saddle beast on there now. He suggested various options and pointed out the risk/reward thing. He was gracious enough to mention one of his competitors offers a tusq replacement unit. How many guys have the "class" to direct a customer to a competitor if it may be in their best interest. I'll mull over options for as long as it takes to make a decision. No rush as it still sounds better than anything I've ever strummed.

Thanks for the comments

I'll post pics in the next day or so.......[/quote']

Maybe it was his competitor where I saw it. I was looking for one for my Epi a year ago or so. I never got around to ordering it. Maybe I ought to get around to it. You got a link to that 'competitor' with 1/4" thick saddles?

Welcome to the forum, Zeebee! I'm jealous that you've got that guitar. One of my fav singer/songwriters, Gillian Welch, owns a 1956 J50. You don't find too many vintage Gibsons in Canada it seems. Anyway, enjoy your guitar and post pics if you can! =P~

Took a quick break from packin.lets see if this works...sorry for poor quality' date=' on the run

http://photoshare.shaw.ca/view/13879475809-1216344667-60895/ [/quote']

lol! we are all cut from the same cloth, aren't we? guitar players. outside of anything life threatening, there is always time for our little wooden friends. she's a beauty, btw. how would you describe it tone-wise? what are the woods? it has been said here that the adj bridge is a tone killer but the opposite has also been said. what do you think? congrats on the new box and good luck with the move.

Congrats on the J50! Your right there is something about that vintage sound!

I was thinking the same thing about the loss of tone with the saddle bridged acoustics!

Actually I was consdering ripping it out and putting a non saddled bridge in? eeepp!

I had done some reading up on the 60's era Gibson Acoustics and really couldn't find much about the addition of saddles other than they put 'em on because they could?! There was no mysterious reason why some models were saddled and other were not. However, the main concensus seemed to be that the saddles will affect tone in some way.

I would really like to hear a more descriptive sound report if you get the chance! Thanks!

Enjoy you nice acquisition!

It has the adjustable saddle....ceramic. Poses a dilemna as it sounds great now as is ( the geet is 100% original) but.......I've heard it can be even better with a saddle swap. I'll wait and put off the decision because as I've said...very playable as is.

Congrats on the J50! Your right there is something about that vintage sound!

I was thinking the same thing about the loss of tone with the saddle bridged acoustics!

Actually I was consdering ripping it out and putting a non saddled bridge in? eeepp!

I had done some reading up on the 60's era Gibson Acoustics and really couldn't find much about the addition of saddles other than they put 'em on because they could?! There was no mysterious reason why some models were saddled and other were not. However' date=' the main concensus seemed to be that the saddles will affect tone in some way.

I would really like to hear a more descriptive sound report if you get the chance! Thanks!

Enjoy you nice acquisition![/quote']

Gibby likely hired a snot nosed engineering grad who then walked into Mr gibby's office and plunked down 100 pages of "look at them numbers and graphs" OR PERHAPS........, the blind project leader of the Les Paul project got confused after goin for a piss and ended up in the acoustic room............either way a true engineering/executive decision FU. And now they've left me and countless others holdin the bag and trying to decide if we should pursue heritage over tone......the bastards. Theres no doubt this led up to the Nixon era.

Archived