Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Valve Senior Combo

zagatron1

The Epi Valve Sr. 20 watt, 1x12 Combo! Why is it one doesn't hear much 'bout these amps? There's always talk about modding Valve Juniors, Blues Custom 30s, maybe the So-Cal 50H head an' all, but when it comes the the Valve Sr., it's like that amp is the "black sheep" of the family. What's up with that? Anybody have huge probs with 'em?

Simple matter of economics and tone. Try the reverb before you buy one.

If you're looking for an amp to trash with a zillion mods and rebuild with a turretboard so you can do it all over again, the VJr is very hard to beat. If you give up, it's better to have destroyed a $100 amp than a $300 amp. Besides, for $300, an amp shouldn't have to need mods just to sound decent; not when there are so many others that do sound great for that kind of money! Sometimes the corporate bigwigs just don't get it. [biggrin]

BC30's do sound pretty good right out the gate. Only a few rare folks are buying those to mod, as well as the Valve Seniors and the rest; mostly because they became addicted to modding thanks to fooling around with smaller cheepo amps like VJr's and Champs, and just can't stop themselves anymore. Hey, it's fun! [biggrin]

Gil...

Actually, I've had my Valve Sr. combo for a few months now, and well.......it's kinda like buyin' a car, then noticing cars like yours more since you bought it. In this case you just don't hear much about them. I have no regrets when it comes to purchasing mine. As for the reverb, I can live with it.

Judging by the response to my original post, allow me to clarify. First off, I didn't mean to scare anybody off, second, it is not my intention to mod this amp (Epi Valve Sr. Combo), but to find out what folk thought about it, thats all. You know...like comparing notes if you will. I had no idea the subject was "taboo", jeez!

I don't think it's taboo so much as just not selling very well. There was a lot of hype surrounding the Seniors in late '08 and early '09, but they didn't materialize until Fall '09. In the meantime, Blackheart, Vox, and now Jet City have got stuff in that price range that seems to have stolen a lot of Epi's thunder. In any case, I like my Senior head/cab half stack a lot, no intention to modify until I find a reverb circuit fix. I do have a VJr. laying around that is begging to have the heck modded out of it...

I don't think it's taboo so much as just not selling very well. There was a lot of hype surrounding the Seniors in late '08 and early '09' date=' but they didn't materialize until Fall '09. In the meantime, Blackheart, Vox, and now Jet City have got stuff in that price range that seems to have stolen a lot of Epi's thunder. In any case, I like my Senior head/cab half stack a lot, no intention to modify until I find a reverb circuit fix. I do have a VJr. laying around that is begging to have the heck modded out of it...[/quote']

What Brian said. My VSr head/cab is my go to amp. I'm loving some of the sounds I'm getting just playing with the amp and the guitar vol/tone knobs. Prior to that it was my Blues Jr. but I gotta say...

Thanks for the input guys, really appreciate it. I just recently started using it (Valve Sr.) more than usual, (you know how it is when you have more than one amp) and I finally noticed the reverb issue that Ive heard folks talk about. I guess I'll look into that, and see what I can find.

Yeah, the reverb is pretty weak (I'm being kind here), but I don't normally use much anyway so I don't really have an issue with it, especially given some of the sounds I'm getting out of this thing. My other amps are getting jealous! [biggrin]

I've had my VSr combo since October. I really like the tones I get out of it ... and this thing is loud! ALmost too loud for my home use but the master/gain option cures that. Everyone says the reverb is awful but I don't use it much anyways. I think it's a great amp for that price point! I just recently bought an overdrive pedal and it sounds great with the VSr. I'm looking forward to getting a few more pedals to mess around.

• 6 years later...

I love my Vsr combo. Only mods I will do are the valve resistors and valve replacement when necessary. It does get a little hum when I play my tele but fine with humbuckers.I am a bit worried issues that I have read online so I will change the necessary parts for reliability only. Only one slight issue is that I would like a tad more bass response but it's no biggie. Yeah I love it a lot.

• 1 year later...

The Epi Valve Sr. 20 watt, 1x12 Combo! Why is it one doesn't hear much 'bout these amps? There's always talk about modding Valve Juniors, Blues Custom 30s, maybe the So-Cal 50H head an' all, but when it comes the the Valve Sr., it's like that amp is the "black sheep" of the family. What's up with that? Anybody have huge probs with 'em?

A wonderful amp; many sound configurations; country,funk, rock, blues, jazz; the only upgrade, maybe, the reverb tank.

Archived