Gibson Brands Forums

To play the Gibson or not to play the Gibson?

maninblack

I have been asked to perform at an outdoor wedding on Saturday. (My wife's baby sister is getting hitched) The forecast calls for a scorching high of 93 degrees and "max humidity" between 48 and 57%. Back in my rowdier days I wouldn't have thought twice about this and certainly some of my gibby's have seen worse. But now I have real anxiety about taking one of my beloved Gibson's out in this kind of weather. They never leave their temp/humidity controlled home these days and shade will be in short supply for at least an hour's time.

I have some slightly better than beater acoustic/electrics, but I hardly ever play them and would not be as comfortable with them ....but I wouldn't care if they became damaged either.

Then I think, I am a Gibson guy dammit! I hardly ever play out anymore, so this would be a rare chance to show off one of the beauties. (I'm thinking the Woody Guthrie SJ)

Some of you must play outside in hot, balmy conditions. I'd love to hear your advice, experiences, etc..

I'd listen to KSDaddy.

However, just to be on the safe side, besure to keep her and the case out of the sun. I suspect black cases make mighty fine solar collectors. Prevent sudden temperature changes by getting her to the gig plenty early for the cased up guitar to acclamate. I'd take her out about an hour before the first number. and prop her on a SECURE, SUBSTATIAL stand... again, out of the sun.

Be ever watchful of unruly children. Might want to insist the 'stage area' be cordoned off with some sort of tarp to shade the stage. Wedding planners seldom think about musicians until the last minute. Worst case scenario, you are playing in the corner of someone's back yard where kids, pets and pilferers have unfettered access to the instruments and sound equipment.

Play her like you mean it. Then case her up, take her home and leave her in the case until morning.

Don't wear any bug spray!!!! I know all too well of what I speak. It will eat the gloss right off your Nitrocelluose Gibby! In the future, I leave the Gibby at home and play the Taylor. UV coating vs. Deet, UV coating wins!

That said, my Gibby now has some MOJO provided by me..... It still sounds beautiful, but in the right light, I still get a small knot in my stomach.........

](*,)

Speaking of bug spray... of the DEET variety. There are some powdered bug repellants, specifically Avon, Skin-So-Soft. I think the makers of OFF! have their own version. Are these preparations guit tar safe?

I played a gig a couple of weeks back and the weather was hot and sticky. I left my J-45 in it's case until we were done setting up. We had about an hour and a half setup and then we did a sound check. Our guitars were changing so fast, that we had to tune about every two songs! We went through just about every song in our set and then left our guitars out on stands until the performance, which was a couple of hours later. The J did just fine, just had to tune it once again real quick before we started playing. The only problem I really had, was getting my hand to slide smoothly on the neck. That nitro gets sticky in those conditions. I also polished it before I went, because I knew it would get sweaty and I did not want anything sticking to it.

The Gibby's always go out to play in the summer, eveything will be fine, just figure on a good cleaning afterwards (you know, sweat and stuff). Extreme cold is a different story, that's the time to play a beater.

I do disagree with the in-case acclimation. I think it best to acclimate it in as near to performing conditions as possible, but not necessarily in direct sunlight.

A couple years ago I left an Ovation in the direct sunlight. I came back to a split from the bridge to the binding big enough to drop mail into. A few weeks ago I left another Ovation in the sun and the two piece neck opened up. Lesson: Ovations are supposed to be bulletproof but turns out they're more fragile than most.

Thanks for the encouragment. In my heart I know it has to be a Gibson. I'm bringing the SJ! I just put fresh strings on. I'll polish up the neck and keep her in the shade as much as possible. I'm doing the bridal entrance and the couple exit music, so hopefully it will stay in tune for the 45 minutes in between. (Did I mention I am also a groomsman?? My timing is going to have be spot on)

Take the '01 J45, keep it in the case prior to performing, with the case cracked open, out of the sun and under adult supervision... wipe it well after you play and clean it when you get home. I do it all the time, even here in Lower Alabama...

They're made to be played... I know this doesn't really mean anything (then why am I writing it?) but the hog used in your J45 comes from somewhere alot hotter than Cincinnati!

I was in Puerto Cabezas, Nicaragua once and saw a tramp freighter loaded to the gills with "Honduras" Mahogany headed to the states... and that's one of the hottest places I've ever been...

Cheers!

Thanks for the encouragment. In my heart I know it has to be a Gibson. I'm bringing the SJ! I just put fresh strings on. I'll polish up the neck and keep her in the shade as much as possible. I'm doing the bridal entrance and the couple exit music' date=' so hopefully it will stay in tune for the 45 minutes in between. (Did I mention I am also a groomsman?? My timing is going to have be spot on)[/quote']

ENTRANCE MUSIC? Wow, I was thinkin' you were playin' the reception back-ground music that no-one listens toand the dance which no one can listen too 'cause they're schnockered!

You're playin' the MAIN EVENT. ...

I am impressed.

Have a good set.

Hope the weddin' comes off with a hitch.

Groomsman!?! too?!? Just sling her over your back Johnny Cash style. I suspect you know all about that, MIB.

It's not the wood; it's the glue and the nitro finish. Try to wear a long sleeve t-shirt so the right arm does not rest directly on the wood.

aha! maybe that explains why yesterday, after playing guitar outside (about 90F here), when i came inside my forearm felt itchy. was this, possibly...... a reaction to the finish? i guess i should start polishing, too. large spot of arm fog left behind.

Archived