Gibson Brands Forums

Info on Epiphone PR-350-S

epipr350s

I have a 1991 PR350E. Right now it's my first and only git. My coach has a few gits and says he enjoys playing my Epi as much as his B25 Gibson. When we play together, the sounds are VERY similar. The only difference I can tell is that his solid top has more projection than the laminate top on my Epi.

I have a 1991 PR350E. Right now it's my first and only git. My coach has a few gits and says he enjoys playing my Epi as much as his B25 Gibson. When we play together' date=' the sounds are VERY similar. The only difference I can tell is that his solid top has more projection than the laminate top on my Epi.[/quote']

Hi T'Hawk Dean,

FWIW the S for my guitar stands for Solid. It has a solid spruce top and laminate mahogany sides and back. According to Acoustic Guitars: The Illustrated Encyclopedia by Dave Hunter the mid 80's (mine is from 1987) were a low point in quality for Epi Acoustics and that all but their best models had laminate tops. As far as I know the PR-350S is at best a mid level guitar...but I'm not familiar with their lineup from that time. I seem to have lucked out perhaps though as I have not had any issues with quality, and after 20+ years it sounds better than ever. Is there anyone out there who is familiar with the mid 80's Epi acoustics?

Mike

Archived