• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Good Word For Indonesian Epiphones

#1 User is offline   jonnyg 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationSE England

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:10 PM

I just wanted to make a comment about the threads relating to Indonesian made Epiphones. When I first saw my Wilshire re-issue in the shop I was a bit concerned about the "Made in Indonesia" label on the back of the headstock (anyone who wants to read my original post (with pix) can search it out). I can only say now that this guitar has turned out to be an absolute joy. However, I will list the problems the guitar's had and what it took to solve them.

1. The strings were crap and badly fitted (changed and fitted correctly)
2. The nut slots were a little tight which affected the tuning stability (widened)
3. The truss rod was a little tight leading to a slight up-bow (loosened)
4. The action was a little high (Bridge lowered)
5. The soldering is less good than it could be (It works faultlessly so I will see to that when I have time)

Time taken - one hour / Cost - 3.50 ($5.00) for strings.

This Wilshire is at least as good as my '84 MIJ Fender Telecaster and has pretty much taken its place. I appreciate that other Indonesian made instruments may not be as good as mine but if mine is representative of their best work then other country's are going to have to up their game.

JG

#2 User is offline   mrw1960 

• Advanced Member

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:11 PM

I purchased my Wildkat in November from SWEETWATER. Made in Indonesia on reverse of headstock. They changed the strings and set it up before shipping to me. All I have to say is it is of GREAT quality for the price I paid. Beautiful bookmatched flame maple veneered top, all electronics sound great, neck, body, and back nicely constructed. I also have a Squier Strat HSS Standard made in Indonesia. It is of Agathis wood. Alot of people say that that is crap wood. Mine is relatively heavy and with pickup swaps it sounds NICE. It is no Fender but I got it in 2008 for $130.00 new and the pup mods (Lindy Fralin single Coil Blues Specials, Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus)= $160.00. Total $290.00 with mods. I will replace the neck down the road. I guess some of the imports can have flukes to them. Cheap labor is the main these days unfortunately..........[biggrin]
Michael
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   duane v 

• Advanced HACK!!!
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationsOcAL

Posted 28 February 2010 - 12:36 AM

I played a Indo made 66 Epi Wilshire at SamAsh, and the guitar smoked.... The action was a tad high, and the nut either needed some work, or replaced with a bone type, but the fit and finish was very nice. I'm sure I'll have one in my possession in the very near future,

Deer Pr00dunce

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   mrw1960 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 01:50 AM

Yea, I have had my eye on one of those for sometime...HMMMMMMM Duane I think you got me going! I'll have to go to GC and check one out...Thanks..
Michael
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Sollophonic 

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:02 AM

I have an Indonesian LP Jnr, which for what I paid for it used is a nice guitar. Nice neck, decent fretwork and light to play.

I changed the pickup for a Kent Armstrong, fitted a bone nut and widened the string spacing, and changed the tuners with some spares I had lying around.

Posted Image

I think some of the Epi Jnrs are Chinese, but mine is definately Indonesian in origin

Posted Image
Maker and Converter of Sollophonic Solid Bodied Resonator Guitars

#6 User is offline   peeper 

• BANNED

Posted 28 February 2010 - 03:50 AM

Well, my concern is this. Have you seen a fake Willshire before? How about a fake Kat? I have NEVER seen those gutars faked, but I have seen a lot of the LPCs faked before. I'm going to do some field research today and I will pick up a few new Willshires as well and let you know what I find.

#7 User is offline   pohatu771 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:54 AM

You can't really complain about string height or the nut as build-quality issues. You can cut the nut wider to accomodate heavier strings, but you can't shrink those slots if you want to use smaller ones. The setup isn't going to be to your liking, either. The factory setup is generally to ensure that it can be set up.

#8 User is offline   mrw1960 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 04:57 AM

Musikron,
Got your point!!! The LPC's being faked is Extremely CRIMINAL and the perpretrators should pay for it and or for any Musical Instrument!!... Let us know what you find out...
Michael
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   jonnyg 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationSE England

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:44 AM

[quote name='pohatu771]You can't really complain about string height or the nut as build-quality issues. You can cut the nut wider to accomodate heavier strings' date=' but you can't shrink those slots if you want to use smaller ones. The setup isn't going to be to your liking, either. The factory setup is generally to ensure that it can be set up.[/quote']
Absolutely. If every guitar I tried had as few problems as my Wilshire I would have considerably more guitars[biggrin]

#10 User is offline   teegar 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 08:14 AM

My experience with my very recent Indonesian Wilshire acquisition is positive. The craftsmanship on the guitar itself is great. For example, the headstock is a scarf joint rather than one piece, and the joint is flawless. The frets are fine, neck straight, the three piece body is well joined and well matched, and played unplugged the thing just hums and resonates in your hands. The issue with mine is the electronics, which appear in need of upgrade, but I had thought I would do that even before I purchased so it doesn't upset me. I remember playing an Indonesian made Epi ES-175 several years ago that was not particularly good, just felt cheap in the hands, and didn't sound too good either; I get the feeling that each model may have different QC (e.g. the LPCs may be crap, if Midiman's assessment is accurate). But the Wilshire is thumbs up, as long as you don't mind a little attention, maybe swap out the nut for bone, upgrade electronics.

Does anyone know who makes the Indonesian Epis? Samick moved to Indonesia, are they building for Epiphone?

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   smips65 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 11:09 AM

Does anyone know who makes the Indonesian Epis? Samick moved to Indonesia, are they building for Epiphone?

Yes they are.

Posted Image

But they can't spell worth a damn.
The guitar itself is awesome. IMHO
3 Generations...life is good
2009 Dot Deluxe
2008 Zephyr Regent
2006 Emperor Regent
2005 Limited Edition Custom Plus 3 Les Paul
2009 Guild GAD 50
1970ish Aims (Martin D-35) AKA Joey, RIP my friend. 5.1.10
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   peeper 

• BANNED

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:42 AM

Long story short, never buy a Les Paul unseen.

Wilshires from Indo report card- I give em a C+. About what I would expect for the price point. A little rough around the edges, not the best looking wood used, so/so pups and electronics and hardware, could use a fret dressing pretty badly. But all in all a decent guitar, I mean, the makings of something playable is there in this one. I played three of them and all were pretty much the same. Not a "great" guitar by any means, but after a day in my shop it would be a "good" one.

Indonesian LPC report card- I went to three stores, and have now laid my hands on 9 Indonesian LPC guitars. Every one has failed miserably. I stand by my previous assessment. I thinking they are sourcing these guitars from a previous counterfeiter who they have contracted now to be a manufacturer. I mean these are REALLY bad ya'll. Bottom feeding LP100 is 4 times the guitar these new customs are. I am very disappointed in Epiphone right now over the quality of these guitars. They are so bad its down right shameful. And if a client brought me one asking for anything to be done to it, I will not accept the job. There is nothing to be done but burn them to ashes and return them to the earth from which they came.
I had the opportunity to compare to a Chinese Custom and there was no comparison, the Chinese one was easily better by a factor of three. Maybe four. Could they be doing this so everyone will quit complaining about the quality from China?

Gibson Corporate Headquarters.
" Oh they think they're getting a crappy guitar made by a company with no QC huh? Well we'll show them crap, they'll be begging for the good old days of questionable wood and crooked tuners after we get through with them! Muahhahhahha!"

#13 User is offline   AlanH 

• Advanced Member

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:51 AM

Sounds like the LPs are being produced on behalf of several brands;
some still may have slightly different 'brand-specific' shapes/specs.
This, however, would mean that less attention is paid to the Epi
specs - they're just one of a number of out-sourcers ordering
from the plant. In contrast, the Epiphone only models such as
Wilshires and Wildkats only have to be run off for Epi.

This is really no different to what happens with soap powders
and detergents, to TVs and DVD players.

If I'm wrong and the LP quality problem is limited to one batch, then
maybe there should be a recall - just like Toyota cars and
Mamas and Papas buggies!

I think Musikron is right - if you are buying a classic model
such as a LP or a Strat then check it over very carefully first.

We're speculating again and still no official from Epi to tell
us why these Indo LPs are poor.

Alan

Guitars:
Yamaha SE350; Gibson SG Faded; Epiphone Wildkat; Charvel USA Pro San Dimas Style 1 -2H; Gibson Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbuckers; Ibanez RG 1570 Prestige; Peavey Millenium BXP4 bass

Sold:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus with JB and Jazz; Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe with 490R and 490T; Kramer Pacer Classic 2010

Amps:
Peavey Royal 8 Valve King; Peavey Backstage 50; Ashdown Tourbus 10W bass amp; Zoom H4 recorder/effects

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey (Overdrive); EH Pocket Metal Muff Nano (Distortion); Marshall Regenerator (Modulation); MXR Carbon Copy (Delay); Artec SE-GEQ (EQ/Tuner)

Sound clip: http://soundcloud.co...nhgtr1/alankob2
Video: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=c9rI5yP4v_k
Club: http://forum.gibson....ker-model-club/
Reviews: Wildkat; Pacer Classic
Useful restringing vid I found: http://www.youtube.c...B&v=Oclc4MHWbzw

#14 User is offline   RSDx 

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

[cool] :-" :-" Perhaps I've had a few, but what spelling is in question ???

#15 User is offline   deflepfan 

• Queen of Everything
  • LocationCape Cod

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

Yes they are.

Posted Image

The guitar itself is awesome. IMHO

I see it!!! Look inside the label.

"wirkmanship" or is it "wirkmonship and moterials"?
Sheila
Make someone's day! Be a friend!

#16 User is offline   sFLsniper 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:58 AM

[quote name='Musikron]Long story short' date=' never buy a Les Paul unseen.[/quote']

Thanks Musikron- you taught me this very principal. You never did show me any pics of the guitar I bought from you- like you said you would. You told me that you bought it new 16 months ago- turns out to be 5 years old! you never stated anything about removing the stock humbuckers and downgraded the guitar to lower quality pups- very shady. You only explained upgrading the nut to a bone piece.

Kind of like if you bought a drag car from me and when you receive it you're dissapointed to realize that I took the nasty V8 out and put a 4 cylinder in it- and never botherd to tell you.. And now I won't return your pm's. Is this how you'd like to be treated? there's a bit more to the story, but those are the sticking points

#17 User is offline   mrw1960 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

Pretty pathetic to buy a guitar brand that you think you've TRUSTED....And see the seal misspelled. Sad,Sad!![-X
TOTAL BS!!!!!!!!This is the 21st century.........I mean...Does Epiphone have people in the different factories print this INSULT without spelling check? No quality control for what you pay for....:-k
Michael
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   smips65 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:01 PM

Pretty pathetic to buy a guitar brand that you think you've TRUSTED....And see the seal misspelled. Sad,Sad!!:-k
TOTAL BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This is the 21st century.......................................

Which one are you refering too?

seal, does this equal label?
3 Generations...life is good
2009 Dot Deluxe
2008 Zephyr Regent
2006 Emperor Regent
2005 Limited Edition Custom Plus 3 Les Paul
2009 Guild GAD 50
1970ish Aims (Martin D-35) AKA Joey, RIP my friend. 5.1.10
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   mrw1960 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:17 PM

Which one are you refering too?

seal, does this equal label?

The LABEL inside the guitar.. The photos everyone has posted!!!!!! misspelled.....

Michael
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   mrw1960 

• Advanced Member

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:18 PM

Pretty pathetic to buy a guitar brand that you think you've TRUSTED....And see the seal misspelled. Sad,Sad!![-X
TOTAL BS!!!!!!!!This is the 21st century.........I mean...Does Epiphone have people in the different factories print this INSULT without spelling check? No quality control for what you pay for....:-k

Label or seal inside F-hole of axe, sorry
Michael
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users