Gibson Brands Forums

Dead strings

ksdaddy

I'm not a fanatic about changing my strings, it's more like putting fires out as they occur. If I pick up one of my guitars and the strings are pure crap, I'll swap them out. Not like back in the 80s when I'd swap strings on the Tele once a week regardless.

The '64 SJ is parked in a stand right beside my computer desk and last night i picked it up for the first time in a couple weeks. Dust all over it from the workbench 8 feet away and all..... eyeeewww, the strings were just nothing but thud, like there was a rag stuffed under them. Yeah, I think there's ONE set of acoustic strings kicking around so I guess I could change them, but first let me wipe some of this stuff on the strings.... Dr Stringfellow or some odd stuff? (I'm at work, the bottle is home). It's basically naptha with a little soap or something in it. No doubt overpriced and gimmicky but it DOES take some of the oxidation off, so that's good.

Still basically thud afterwards, but I HEARD something... so I thumped out Bob Marley's Redemption Song followed by Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man.

Wow.

There's the sound.

Paradigm shift I guess. All these years I figured new strings were the ultimate and then it was downhill from there, and it was up the individual at what point they could no longer stand it and changed them. Guess I learned something. Bright and brassy shouldn't be viewed as the ideal; sometimes the thud is what we're seeking.

I tend to actually like strings best on my Gibson when they are played in for about 2 weeks. They just sound best on the Gibby at that point. On my Taylor, I like them brighter and new Elixir PB Nano's sound great out of the box. I tend to keep Elixir 80/20's on the Gibby.

I've always favored strings that are broken in. Sure, it takes a year or two, but then you get to hear the guitar rather than the string. (Besides, we got nothing but time out here on Hoss Acres.)

When I want a lot of brash and bright sounds without a fundamental note, I'll pull out the Martin..=D>

I've always favored strings that are broken in. Sure' date=' it takes a year or two, but then you get to hear the guitar rather than the string. (Besides, we got nothing but time out here on Hoss Acres.)

When I want a lot of brash and bright sounds without a fundamental note, I'll pull out the Martin..:-& [/quote']

=D>

What, you mean "my" Martin? The one I can't afford but lust after anyway? I thought you'd sold that one.

Yes. It's sold-- in order to afford another guitar. But I have a really good sounding Martin that I've never been able to part with because- 1. it sounds too good (even tho, again, I rarely play it) and 2. It's way under valued on the used market - . I'd rather have it sitting in a closet than the (relatively) few dollars it would bring.

Archived