Gibson Brands Forums

Gibsons 40 years apart....

Taylor Player

I had an opportunity to play a 1965 Gibson Dove last night while at a party on my buddies deck. I knew my friends Dad was coming down from way up north MN and told her to tell him to bring that Gibson that was hanging on the wall in his music room. I had seen it in a picture and really wanted to see the thing. Sure enough he brought his 1965 Gibson Dove to the party! I had my Gibson Advanced Jumbo with me and the first thing we did was swap guitars to play. I have to say, his Gibson had been through a few battles over the years including the El Kaboong rountine from his ex wife back in the 1970's! It had two large cracks in the soundboard from that incident alone. After the El Kaboong incident some friends of his had taken the guitar to Mexico and someone there "repaired" the cracks. All I know is it was still holding together 30 years after the repair. Unfortunatly time had taken it's toll on this old bird. The action at the 12th fret was higher than the 1950's Kay guitar I used to own. All he played were cowboy chords and it still worked great for him I guess. The strings looked like they hadn't been changed in over a year or two, the neck likely needs to be reset like NOW and there was some sinking of the top as well. With all that said, the tone of this thing, even with the old crappy strings was amazing!

Of course his review of the Gibson AJ was very favorable, actually offering to trade me the Dove for my AJ on the spot. (Sorry but that was not going to happen in the Doves condition, but it was tempting for a second). I think he enjoyed playing a Gibson that had action similar to his Telecaster. He tried my Taylor also, but you could tell right away, this 73 year old guy was only impressed by my Gibson as it was the one he kept going back to so he could play it some more.

Anyway, since this is my 100th post, I had to use it for a good topic and I can't think of a better one than to show some pix of two Gibbys 40 years different in age but both very cool guitars!

Enjoy the guitars everyone... I sure had fun with them last night! [-(

Here is me playing the Dove:

PaulDove.jpg

And playing my AJ:

PaulBeast.jpg

Just jamming!

PaulPat.jpg

god, that dove looks like it could tell some stories! and, of course, your AJ looks amazing. that chord, while it may look like a G but when played is actually an encrypted message for me that says, "buy me." i might take the plunge before homecoming....

great story. thanks!

god' date=' that dove looks like it could tell some stories! and, of course, your AJ looks amazing. that chord, while it may look like a G but when played is actually an encrypted message for me that says, "buy me." i might take the plunge before homecoming....

great story. thanks![/quote']

Thanks Cunkhead!

The owner actually told me... "If this guitar could talk, I would be in alot of trouble!" ](*,)

You are correct, that chord looks like a G, but in reality it is similar to a pied piper playing his flute... It is specifically designed to get people all over the world to pick up a Gibson and play it until it looks like that Dove!

Can someone with an older Dove in good condition tell me what it is supposed to sound like. Like I said before, the strings were long past dead on this one and it was next to impossible to play up the neck. Cowboy chords worked well and I loved the sounds I heard even with all the problems. I have played a couple H-birds (newer ones) before and thought they were nice but liked the AJ tone better. I am a lover of Maple guitars though and would love to hear how a real vintage Dove is supposed to sound. That tune o matic bridge was interguing but I have to assume that the material may deaden the tone somewhat?

Well I grew up playing one that from the looks of it was in the same age range as the one you played. Mine was natural finish top, with the adjustable ABR bridge. I would kill to have it back!

They way I remember it was, bright, loud, in-yer-face, and the harmonics emitted from each string was like a choir.

Strumming rhythm was it's #1 priority, but she could sing a mean lick or two as well.

It would stand out no matter other models it played with.

You know what's cool? 40 years from now, maybe someone will be comparing your AJ to another guitar (hopefully a 2048 Gibson)! How many things are made in this day and age that have an expected life that long? Not many.

You know what's cool? 40 years from now' date=' maybe someone will be comparing your AJ to another guitar (hopefully a 2048 Gibson)! How many things are made in this day and age that have an expected life that long? Not many.[/quote']

Well, I hope I am around in 2048 o see that and actually realize what is going on as I will be 87 then! If I am not around I fully expect my offspring to make the comparisons and tell everyone that while the new Gibby is very cool... It just ain't got the Mojo of Dad's old beat up 2005 AJ!

Well' date=' I hope I am around in 2048 o see that and actually realize what is going on as I will be 87 then! If I am not around I fully expect my offspring to make the comparisons and tell everyone that while the new Gibby is very cool... It just ain't got the Mojo of Dad's old beat up 2005 AJ! [/quote']

that would be so cool. your boy would have the AJ ... AND be in the hockey hall of fame in toronto - just a few blocks from where the greatest team in the world plays. TML forever. so sweet. geez.

god' date=' that dove looks like it could tell some stories! and, of course, your AJ looks amazing. that chord, while it may look like a G but when played is actually an encrypted message for me that says, "buy me." i might take the plunge before homecoming....

great story. thanks![/quote']

Streuth Paul

If cunk reckons the Dove could tell some stories those knees could rewrite Shakespear!

that would be so cool. your boy would have the AJ ... AND be in the hockey hall of fame in toronto - just a few blocks from where the greatest team in the world plays. TML forever. so sweet. geez.

My youngest has the best chance of my 4 kids, but we will have to wait and see just how far he can go since he is showing no signs of getting big enough to withstand the harsh realities of life in the Pro's. Of course he is only just shy of 13 years old now, so he has time to get bigger I guess.

But I do have to show some love for the Leaf's also as a former Minnesota Gopher hockey player from the University of MN, Johnny Pohl, is playing there. He is married to Krissy Wendell, most likely the best female hockey player ever, who is also from the city I live in. I was lucky enough to coach her little sister along with my daughter in both hockey and soccer! Krissy and Johnny just had a baby who I assume will likely become greater that "The Great Gretzky" with the genes from his parents. I just hope he comes to play for the MN Wild!

Streuth Paul

If cunk reckons the Dove could tell some stories those knees could rewrite Shakespear!

I am going to take that as a compliment since I know you Brit's have an odd sense of humor! #-o

Besides, those knees could tell some stories as well as the guitars photographed above. Not only have they been handy for holding up my Gibson and Taylor guitars, but I have had a few badonkadonk butts (translation for you... "round bottom lasses") place their lovely seats upon them as well over the years! :^o

My youngest has the best chance of my 4 kids' date=' but we will have to wait and see just how far he can go since he is showing no signs of getting big enough to withstand the harsh realities of life in the Pro's. Of course he is only just shy of 13 years old now, so he has time to get bigger I guess.

But I do have to show some love for the Leaf's also as a former Minnesota Gopher hockey player from the University of MN, Johnny Pohl, is playing there. He is married to Krissy Wendell, most likely the best female hockey player ever, who is also from the city I live in. I was lucky enough to coach her little sister along with my daughter in both hockey and soccer! Krissy and Johnny just had a baby who I assume will likely become greater that "The Great Gretzky" with the genes from his parents. I just hope he comes to play for the MN Wild![/quote']

i love johnny pohl. gutsy, fast guys like him are the face of this team, now. i was 2 when they won the cup last so i couldn't fully enjoy it! i take a lot of flak being a leaf fan in this, a hot bed of wing fans.

the rebuilding continues however... maybe someday.....

johnny bower lives here in windsor. he has a bottle of champagne that he lifted from the dressing room the night they won the cup in 67. he says he's saving it for the next time the leafs win it. he also joked that, by that time, it may be better suited for cleaning silverware.

do you manage to take in any wild games?

sorry if i digress, this is just such a great forum.

i love johnny pohl. gutsy' date=' fast guys like him are the face of this team, now. i was 2 when they won the cup last so i couldn't fully enjoy it! i take a lot of flak being a leaf fan in this, a hot bed of wing fans.

the rebuilding continues however... maybe someday.....

johnny bower lives here in windsor. he has a bottle of champagne that he lifted from the dressing room the night they won the cup in 67. he says he's saving it for the next time the leafs win it. he also joked that, by that time, it may be better suited for cleaning silverware.

do you manage to take in any wild games?

sorry if i digress, this is just such a great forum.[/quote']

I get to a few Wild games every year but in the past I have had had all 4 kids playing so most of my time away from work was spent at rinks. Now I just have my Senior in High School and my youngest to watch so I have more spare time. I still spend an inordinate amount of time in ice cold buildings watching the game but I do have more time for playing the Guitars! If you have never been in Excel Arena where the Wild play, you are missing one of the great venues for hockey. It is a very nice place to watch. Of course when it is not hockey season (other than for my yougest who plays year round) my older two boys play lacrosse, both box (indoors) and regular field lacrosse. I almost have started to like that better as it is outside and played in the sun!

Cool story about Bower... That would be a fun party to be at when he pops the cork on that old bottle!

By the way JohnT.....

What does Streuth mean?

Comment on knees due soley to sense of humour Paul.

Steuth ?Strewth declined as such>>>>

1. strewth

An Australian' date=' or "Aussie", exclaimation, similar to the somewhat more popular "Crikey!"

An example

Strewth, that was a hard day, toss me a Fosters mate!

2. British slang, interjection, exclamation of surprise short for "God's truth".

An example---->

From Monty Python's Flying Circus Episode 1: Whither Canada?

Mozart: Thank you, Eddie. And now time for this week's request death. (taking card off piano)

For Mr and Mrs Violet Stebbings of 23 Wolverston Road, Hull, the death of Mr Bruce Foster of Guildford.

Cut to a lounge setting. Mr Foster sitting in chair.

Foster: Strewth! (he dies)

BR

John

Archived