Gibson Brands Forums

2008 Gibson UK Dirty weekend

Johnt

Well it was nearly the weekend and the nearest AlbertJohn and I could get was a foray into Denmark Street to view J185 X12 and perhaps a J200.

Well I will leave it to AJ to report when he sobers up, suffice to say they'd hidden all the good stuff after My J45's visit on Thursday, we played a very very nice taylor( say it quietly) then went for a beer.

Unfortunately I am onlu allowed one equivalent of a phone call from this drunk & disordely cell perhaps AJ will recover enough to report later, if not I will drone on endlessly tomorrow.

Of course we forgot a camera otherwise you'd propably see our ugly mugs under (all right MY ugly mug)

I am now retreating to ones boudoire to sober up, I have a big , big day tomorrow.

It's my remote induction into the Visiting Professorship Chair at the PPP Academy of Advance Guitar Technigues.

There is a ritual involving octave A strings, Jellyfish and a maine coon apparently.

More later

Greetings from deepest Essex.

I'm no more sober than I was when I left JT at Tottenham Court Road tube station earlier this evening, having just returned from my local - no more than the length of a cricket pitch away from my house.

I have to say now that I have visited Denmark St many times but today was the first time with someone so knowledgable.

We were both most disappointed not to find the 2 J185 12s that Angel Guitars had on their website, and a Guild 12. All sold. Not only that, but also the B25 and B45 they had a couple weeks ago. Sold. What on earth is going on?

Not discouraged we ventured to Hanks and played further examples of a B25 12 and a B45 12, both from the swinging 60s. As we were leaving some bloke was trading in his Yammy APX 5, a model which is likely to suffice for me while I find my Gibson 12. Had a fiddle and all seemed fine until I tried to play a D shaped A/D up the neck. Hello we thought. Here's some impressive buzzing here. A quick look down the neck on the treble side revealed a bow of Ben Nevis proportions so JT and I concluded that it was too f.... err, damaged to be considered further.

So, as we were just about to leave again, the shop keeper said,

" Oh! We've got a Taylor 12 in the window". Out it came. I have to say it was heavenly. The bass was nothing like I've ever heard, loud but not at all boomy or over powering. He wanted 1,100 notes but knocked off £100 there and then.

Adjourn to the pub where a shed load of beer is consumed. JT advises me the his SWD 12 puts the Taylor to shame and that's good enough for me.

Conclusion. My overdraft is £1000 less than it may have been and I'm still convinced that there is a Gibson 12 out there somewhere that will slap me round the face eventually. The Taylor came close.

Update on the cricket. England lose the toss and are put in. Not good at Headingly (Leeds, Yorkshire) a ground famous for favouring the side who win the toss. Don't ask me why. Below par score for England at 203. At the close SA are 101 for 3, still over 100 runs behind but 7 wickets in hand and will be the most pleased tonight. Tomorrow will be interesting. 4 days to go and anything is possible. I love this game.

Sorry for the rambling. Blame it on JT and the beer. BTW he's a bloody nice bloke!

I am sitting here having a cold brew after watching my 13 year old kick some royal butt in a Hockey game tonight. He had 3 goals in one shift!

For you Cricket players, they use a much longer and curved stick to slap a rubber disk around whilst skating on razer sharp blades across a thin sheet of ice and try to slap the disk past a goalie who has way too many pads on and a net about 1/4 the size of a soccer goal.... What a great sport!

Seeing as how my profile name is Taylor Player I should tell you that no matter how much I love Gibson's, beating a Taylor 12 string is difficult by anyone's standards... they really know how to build a guitar with 6 strings too many in my opinion.... But good luck trying to find a Gibby 12 string to match! Let me know what you find as I would be thrilled to see one that trounces a Taylor!!!!

Seeing as how my profile name is Taylor Player I should tell you that no matter how much I love Gibson's' date=' beating a Taylor 12 string is difficult by anyone's standards... they really know how to build a guitar with 6 strings too many in my opinion.... But good luck trying to find a Gibby 12 string to match! Let me know what you find as I would be thrilled to see one that trounces a Taylor!!!!

Juno

I have a feelin you are making a sustainable claim there Paul.

Having recovered from the excesses of yesterday I looked at the Taylor on the net this morning to find that the model we were offered is a 355, described as an entry level with a Uk new price of £996 (Ok reduced to that)

AJ see...

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/18918/a/r/e/base

Oh and this may tempt you it's in London and looks awlfully like the same box.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Taylor-655-12-String-Guitar-Maple-Jumbo_W0QQitemZ350079556205QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item350079556205&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Oh and that K Yairi 12 string have a look here

http://www.theacousticmusicco.co.uk/erol.html#11202X0

Returning to my point I consider that my SWD IMHO would deal quite nicely with the entry level Taylor but you're probably right it may lose out at the top end.

To my aging ears the SWD is rounder and has strum for strum marginally more power. The treble seemed brighter as well but in fairness the Taylor was strung with dead cats entrails whereas the SWD has just had a set of Exliars.

All in all food for thought but I have to comment on the difference between the US stores I have seen and Denmark Street. The US provides far more selection and more space in which to appraise it. Denmanrk Street is rather tatty in comparison and mostly 2nd hand so the stocks are variable to say the least.

Don't let that stop you coming over though, AJ and have plenty of fatted calves.

And for those who may be encouraged to do likewise, get together and meet up.

Not everyone you meet on the internet ia a perv, you get to meet a nice bloke as I did yesterday.

How about an Canuk (is that the right word?) subgroup meeting soon

BR

John

Archived