Gibson Brands Forums

1993 townsend smashes sweet gibson acoustic on letterman

bobbyg67

This guitar smashing businsess was brought up not too long ago. Some thought it was a shame and some thought that it was his money and he can do as he pleases with his purchase. I think it is a shame and also that he can do what he pleases with his guitar. When he first started doing that in the 1960's he received large amounts of positive reinforcement from drug and alcohol fueled fans at his concerts. I'm afraid it's become a "tradition" of sorts and the fans of this particular action on old Pete's part have given him "permission" to do it, even hoping he will. So, as long as it's not MY SJ-200 he's smashing, I just chalk it up to something he just "has" to do even though I personally don't like it. None of my business, I guess. The most severe neck reset I've ever seen!

Such a shame. It hurts me to see that... ; (

I know smashing guitars it's almost a tradition for Pete Townsend, but smashing a super jumbo it's really terrifying... Of course he can do what he wants and likes. I just feel it has nothing to do with music tough.

it has nothing to do with music though.

Well, yeh. Or feeling. Or much anything else. Pure shtick. The "I can always get another' attitude is the common bond of the spoiled well-to-do. I dont suppose the good folks in Bozeman look at their work as disposable. Rant.

I think that kind of behaviour is reprehensible. If an artist doesn't have any respect for their instrument, I struggle to have respect for them. Despite the fact that PT has written some truly incredible songs, I do think it's a bit pathetic to see a middle aged man smashing up a guitar like a stroppy teenager.

I'll bet he has a stable of guitars he wouldn't dream of harming. Probably bought that one the same day. That being said it didn't have to be a gibson :-( . Also, I remember watching that episode. 15 years goes by waaayyyyyy to fast.

Archived