Gibson Brands Forums

The Elusive Jack Casady Bass Case

ricmyers

A few weeks back I became the proud owner of a Jack Casady bass, it was by all means a dream come true, regardless of the fact I had to get it home wrapped only in bubble wrap due to it being an ex demo model, the only one in stock, and the shop having no epiphone hard cases in.

They explained to me, very apologetically, how Epiphone seem to have a habit of shipping guitars without case and that unfortunately the Jack Casady will no fit in any other hard case, or gig bag for that matter. Now to be fair I'm pretty cynical and assumed that they were just trying to flog me an Epi case just because they can but because I actually want to keep my bass in reasonably good condition I agreed to let them order me one.

It's been over a month now and I haven't heard squat from the shop about the case so I called them up only to be told that they were still waiting on the order and due to the UK distributor of Epi's being Epiphone Europe this could take a while as we apparently play second fiddle as a nation to the mainland continent [gotta love that equal rights for trade idea that is the European Community].

Now I'm really starting to get a bit impatient because 1) I've already paid money for this case and it's still to appeared. and 2) I'm in a regularly gigging band and it's scary as sin lugging it about in an acoustic gig bag with 2 inch of the headstock sticking out the top, no matter how well I wrap it up. So i'm putting it to you good people, are there ANY other cases that would fit and keep safe my beloved bass? any at all? and also, has anyone else had a similar problem?

the Jack Casady will no fit in any other hard case' date=' or gig bag for that matter. [/quote']

I'd be willing to bet it would fit in a Tunderbird case. They're freakin' huge. You may have to ad some foam padding but, if you cant get a JC case...

I've been waiting since late may for my case and still gigging it in a now rather tatty box. I have had the same response from my local dealer and I have called every epiphone dealer in the UK that I have been able to get a number for and there is non in stock.

I mailed epiphone direct and the reply that I got was that basically I need to be patient and that they themselves are dont know when they are going to be ready.

I must admit, I havnt had a look at a thunderbird case, but all the other cases come no where near.......

-Chris.

I seriously doubt it'll fit in the fire bird case, they are very different guitars.

And its probable the store. the bigger the store, the less they care. It took almost a YEAR to get the case for my Taylor GS8, thats a $2100 guitar, never again you GC fuks, buy from mom and pop and you'll have your case the same day.

I seriously doubt it'll fit in the fire bird case' date=' they are very different guitars.[/quote']

I know for a FACT that Thunderbirds are longer than a JC, I just don't know about the width and the depth. T-birds are on the thin side. It's more than likely wide and long enough. Depth (I.E. getting the case to close without damaging the bass) may be an issue with a T-bird case. Be sure and test fit the JC before you buy. I do know that's the biggest Epi case available. My Explorer guitar came in a T-bird case, and I can fit the guitar and something about the size of a laptop computer in the case as well.

And Epi REALLY DOESN'T know when the cases are coming. TKL makes 'em. Try asking them about an ETA for a JC case.

I bought a case for my EB-2 from eBay recently. It's about the same size and shape as a Jack Cassady. It will NOT fit properly in a Thunderbird case. I have one of those as well, and the Thunderbird case will not be kind to a thicker archtop like a Jack Cassady.

I'd be willing to bet it would fit in a Tunderbird case. They're freakin' huge. You may have to ad some foam padding but' date=' if you cant get a JC case...[/quote']

No way in hell.

The Thunderbird case is huge, but the interior of it is molded to fit the Thunderbird body shape snugly so the bass doesn't rattle around inside the case. Nothing except a Thunderbird will go in one of those cases.

Also, I wouldn't buy a Thunderbird case if I didn't have to just because of the weight/size of the thing. It's like the Monolith from 2001, seriously.

Anyway glad the OP found a case.

No way in hell.

The Thunderbird case is huge' date=' but the interior of it is molded to fit the Thunderbird body shape snugly so the bass doesn't rattle around inside the case. Nothing except a Thunderbird will go in one of those cases.

[/quote']

No they're not. My Explorer guitar is in one right now. The body fits fine. there's a bunch extra room. in the headstock end, but it still fits. I've put a Jazz Bass in it before too.

I don't know if they're even available in the U.K. , but I was going to suggest a Road Runner Oversized Bass case.

I had to buy 1 about a year ago and although it's heavier than the actual instrument, it's it's a VERY solid and safe case.

I'm glad you found it !

I'm over the moon i found one. from what i gather epiphone shipped about 3 into the country a week or so ago.

A thought on cases to fit, you can get flight cases with custom inserts for about £160 online, i know it's a mental price but considering the epi case costs about £90-£100 maybe it's not so crazy to spend the extra 60 quid on a proper solid, tank like flight case... like i say, just a thought.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys, I'm a newbie, 'though slightly disgruntled.

Gibson/Epiphone importers Australia don't have a single Jack Casady bass case in the entire country.

I wasn't able to put money down, but I've been promised a phone call as soon as one hits Melbourne.

Yeh, right.

They do not fit an Explorer case.

I tried it in the shop and the case would not close!

I ended up with an Epiphone gig bag designed for a medium-sized elephant,

and when I left the store, I could feel it bulging hard.

Be extra careful of a swept-back mahogany head stock.

They are short grained wood that are easy to snap.

I have to go to the bathroom every time I contemplate

taking the beast out of the house.

P.S. This creature does have some snarl, hey!

Yet it can do old Animals, well (Chas Chandler Gibson EB-2)

• 4 years later...

There is one and only one case that will fit the Jack Casady bass. It is a hard case made by Epiphone that fits the guitar perfectly. If you can't get it in your country then try eBay. They are available at a reasonable price. Good luck. msp_thumbup.gifeusa_boohoo.gif

I'm sure he has found one in the 4 years since this was posted ;)

Archived