Gibson Brands Forums

Review: Gibson Advanced Jumbo vs Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500RE

maatty

I went to GC in Atlanta last weekend, and I was intrigued how better the Gibson AJ was over the Epi Masterbilt.

Owning an MB guitar, I had to try the Gibson AJ.

Price: $1999 vs $699 (Gibson was all acoustic, so I figure AJ-500R w/o the electronics costs $599)

Sound: Gibson wins hands down on clarity and tone. Epi sounds muddy compared to Gibson. Gibson AJ sounded a lot tighter, focused, and more fundamental. The lows were more accurate, tighter, and deeper. The highs were clearer and sounded a lot better. The mids were better on Gibson as well.

I think I have to start saving $$$ for a Gibson now [confused].

Whoever put reviews online saying that Epi Masterbilt is better than the Gibson AJ is wrong.

Overall, I liked '71 Martin D-35, Gibson AJ, and Taylor 710CE they had. Out of these, I think the Martin and Gibson had the best balance.

Of course, YMMV [biggrin]

The important footnote here is the "YMMV." As a guy who owns both a Gibson (a '98 J-45) and an Epiphone (one of the new IB'64 Texans) I think one makes blanket statements at their peril. There are things I like my J-45 better for, and there are things I think the Texan does really well. But, on average, I would expect the Gibson AJ to beat the Masterbilt AJ-500RE.

That said -- and this is just my opinion from years of playing -- Gibsons can be very idiosyncratic, for lack of a better word. You can pick up one and it'll sound like the best guitar you ever heard, and you can pick up the next one and you'll curse Gibson's name for having the gall to charge so much for what can loosely be described as "a guitar." Other people have different opinions, and I respect that. And I do believe that Gibson's quality (and quality control) has gotten orders of magnitude better in the past few years.

But, yes, save up for a Gibson. Play a bunch of them before laying your money down. When you find a good one, you'll know it.

Hi, Maaty. I've got both an AJ500R and an Advanced Jumbo, and I agree in general with your description of the AJ having stronger fundamentals. The Masterbilt is voiced to emphasize the overtones more. That's true of the AJ500M, as well, when compared to a J45. I've often described the Masterbilts as being Gibsons in a reverb tank. The Gibsons are drier and more immediate.

My take on it is that the Masterbilt is a heck of a guitar, and more impressive still when you consider the price. I find the playability of the Masterbilts is excellent, too--they beg to be played.

Red 333

When I hear someone saying they would put this or that $500 offshore guitar up against a pre-War Martin dread I pretty much assume the closest they have ever come to that Martin was in the pages of Vintage Guitar magazine.

Then don't go reading the Recording King threads on the UMGF--your head will explode.

Red 333

Hi' date=' Maaty. I've got both an AJ500R and an Advanced Jumbo, and I agree in general with your description of the AJ having stronger fundamentals. The Masterbilt is voiced to emphasize the overtones more. That's true of the AJ500M, as well, when compared to a J45. I've often described the Masterbilts as being Gibsons in a reverb tank. The Gibsons are drier and more immediate.

My take on it is that the Masterbilt is a heck of a guitar, and more impressive still when you consider the price. I find the playability of the Masterbilts is excellent, too--they beg to be played.

Red 333 [/quote']

Thanks Red, I think I prefer the drier sound of a good Gibson.

Maybe the 500M mahogany model has less boom and bass reverberation than the rosewood box?

Thanks Red' date=' I think I prefer the drier sound of a good Gibson.

Maybe the 500M mahogany model has less boom and bass reverberation than the rosewood box?[/quote']

I think the word "prefer" is rather key here. I cannot think of a Gibson dread I would prefer over my AJ500RC 12-fretter, both in terms of sound and playability; but I come to that after figuring I can't afford a Gibson CJ165(maple) and, for the money, I preferred the Epi to the Martin OM21 I was also considering.

But, you see, it's what I "prefer," though I do think (MVHO) the Masterbilts give the Gibbies and Martins a run for their money.

I think the word "prefer" is rather key here. I cannot think of a Gibson dread I would prefer over my AJ500RC 12-fretter' date=' both in terms of sound and playability; but I come to that after figuring I can't afford a Gibson CJ165(maple) and, for the money, I preferred the Epi to the Martin OM21 I was also considering.

But, you see, it's what I "prefer," though I do think (MVHO) the Masterbilts give the Gibbies and Martins a run for their money.[/quote']

Bloozeguy, check out the "Steve Earle's Kid" thread. There's a link to some YouTube videos, and in some, he's playing an AJ500RC. You'll have to look through some of the suggested videos to find the right ones, but you'll see the AJ500RC's shape easily enough.

Red 333

I have tried out the Masterbilts as well to see how they stack up against a good Gibson and have been impressed to a point, but still don't see the comparison other than the look of the guitar. My 2005 AJ has volume with balance and tone that rivals that of a grand piano when strumming chords. For fingerstyle, it excells. Fingerstyle is my preference for playing so if a guitar doesn't handle that well, I keep looking and unfortunatly, I have not been able to hear the notes as distinctly on the Masterbilts I played vs. my AJ.

Then there is the fact that nobody, and I really mean NOBODY.... does a burst like Gibson! [drool] (Here is my AJ for proof.)

Peace_Dove_Strap.jpg

I have tried out the Masterbilts as well to see how they stack up against a good Gibson and have been impressed to a point' date=' but still don't see the comparison other than the look of the guitar. My 2005 AJ has volume with balance and tone that rivals that of a grand piano when strumming chords. For fingerstyle, it excells. Fingerstyle is my preference for playing so if a guitar doesn't handle that well, I keep looking and unfortunatly, I have not been able to hear the notes as distinctly on the Masterbilts I played vs. my AJ.

Then there is the fact that nobody, and I really mean NOBODY.... does a burst like Gibson! :- (Here is my AJ for proof.)

[img']http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd219/lofapco/Peace_Dove_Strap.jpg[/img]

Very nice I must say. But I think my 62 Levin LM-26 is up there with it!

Levin003.jpg

Steve.

I have tried out the Masterbilts as well to see how they stack up against a good Gibson ...I have not been able to hear the notes as distinctly on the Masterbilts I played vs. my AJ.

Yeah, that's why I say they sound like a Gibson in a reverb tank. I think they are excellent guitars, though, and need to be evaluated on their own merits versus the sound you like.

Your AJ is a beauty!

• 10 years later...

The Epiphone AJ500RE is a very well made guitar not to mention how beautiful it is. Yes it is a chunk but its sound is powerful. Its distinctively a big band guitar and has its own personality and should not be compared to any Gibsons which by the way have their own character. Don't worry about trying to justify the price difference. We don't want you to. In fact,quit comparing us to Gibsons altogether. We stand alone on our own virtues! Go away!