Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on a PU for a WM-00?

dadeedo

I have a WM-00 that is just perfect for me. I love the playability and the tone so much I am beginning to wonder if I should buy a second one to electrify for use for gigs where that would be handy.

Many people have remarked on how guitars and Gibsons in particular are very individual instruments, so I don't want to risk any drilling into my #1 00.

But I am wondering (assuming I am able to find another WM-00 I like) what pickup system ya'll might recommend.

If it helps to know this, I recently picked up a couple of Fender amps (an older pre-dsp acoustisonic and a NOS tweed Blues Jr.), so it would be through one or both of these that I'd be playing.

Any advice?

I've never ran an acoustic through an actually amp, always go straight to the board. I do have a few recomendations though. I really like the K&K pure western mini pickup, I had one and also put the internal mic in there, wired it to a stereo endpin. You have to get a preamp with two channels for this one though, there are a couple of really good dual source preamps out there DTar makes one and so does presonus and a few others.

I have an LR Baggs dual source with the iBeam and Element in one of my guitars and love it. This one has an internal preamp so you can control it from the guitar with two little wheels in the sound hole and send it straight to your amp or board.

One more is the Fishman ellipse blend system, it pairs the matrix undersaddle with a gooseneck mic, the preamp is actually meant to be stuck just inside the sound hole, it is curved to run right along it with all the controls right there at your fingertips.

Check those out online and see what you think. You will almost always get a better sound out of a dual source system, they just take a little tweaking and getting used to.

I have a K & K mini in my Gibson Advanced Jumbo and it is a wonderful pickup. It is very non-invasive and no battery to deal with either. I like it very well straight into my acoustic amp but it even gets better when run through my LR Baggs PARA DI. I have seen many, many excellent reviews of this particular pickup on the Acoustic Guitar Forum for just about every style acoustic guitar and even mandolins. They are relitively inexpensive and many people install them themselves. I preferr to have a luthier do the actual install but total cost was less than $200.00 and it was worth every penny.

Archived