Gibson Brands Forums

Gibsons at Best Buy

Space Pup

I went to my local Best Buy over the weekend and they have a banner out front announcing a new musical instrument department. The logos on the banner include Gibson, Fender, Marshall, and Yamaha among others. Upon entering the musical instrument department I was stunned to find real Gibsons, like Les Pauls, SG's, and Exploreres but also two J-45s, a Hummnigbird, a SJ-200, as well as four of the Canadian Gibsons. Not to mention a nice selection of Epiphones too. The prices on the guitars are pretty much in line with Guitar Center.

I decided to sit down and try out a few, I never could pass up an opertunity to get my dirty little paw prints on a new Gibson. I came up with the idea that this would be a good chance to really compare Gibson's (US and Canadian) with Epiphones. I tried to take everything into consideration, tone, looks, material, price, and value for the money. My results may not surprise anyone but do keep in mind this was based on Mahogny models only. That was the closest I could get them all to match.

1. Gibson J-45 MC

2. Epiphone Master Built AJ-500M

3. Gibson Canadian DSM

4. Epiphone Hummingbird

thanks for the run down. quite a shocker. probably wont happen here in canada, though. still, i can just imagine the shinking confidence level of the 'associates' at that store, staring into the guitar room, beholding the new stock like the natives holding the coke bottle in 'the gods must be crazy'. oh, those poor play staion refugees, thinking they had escaped the zit-faced failures of a social competion that has dogged them their whole teenage existence by joining the 'geek squad'. now to find musicians have invaded their bastion of safety........

musiciansarebetter.jpg

I went to my local Best Buy over the weekend and they have a banner out front announcing a new musical instrument department. The logos on the banner include Gibson' date=' Fender, Marshall, and Yamaha among others. Upon entering the musical instrument department I was stunned to find real Gibsons, like Les Pauls, SG's, and Exploreres but also two J-45s, a Hummnigbird, a SJ-200, as well as four of the Canadian Gibsons. Not to mention a nice selection of Epiphones too. The prices on the guitars are pretty much in line with Guitar Center.

...[/quote']

Thus endeth the era of mom and pop Gibson guit tar shops. #-o

Archived