Gibson Brands Forums

SWD compared to AJ

jeff5341

I have a Songwriter Deluxe and have thought about buying an AJ. Both guitars have sitka top, EIR back and sides, and are long scale. I have have never played an AJ, is there really enough difference between it and the SWD to justify having both?

Cheers

Jeff

Yes, basicly the differences are that the SWD is a small body dreadnought with an ebony fretboard, bridge, and pickup. The AJ is a slope shouldered jumbo with a Rosewood fretboard, bridge, and no pickup. Plus the bracings are different giving you a completely differently sound from each.

well.......(sigh).....(lol)

timely question you ask, jeff, as the AJ's been on my mind - alot. it may be my next purchase. i own an SWD and it sounds great but the AJ is a different animal altogether. and two models - hog and rw. i played one (hog) last week at GC ($1999). there are some you tube clips as well. they are tonally unique - very balanced and concentrated. the bass isnt really boomy and the highs dont really shimmer but the volume is amazing. i would say mid range-y but that doesn't sum it up. in an earlier thread, i described it like a guitar that had six strings - all the same string. the high end is chunky. ask taylor player. he loves his and for good reason. its gorgeous. go play one. you'll see what i'm trying to say. at first i didn't know if i like liked it just due to how uncommon it sounded. i played it against every high end guitar in the shop and it was the loudest and most balanced tonewise. i dont know the rw model. does someone have one?

also, if you may not find one readily as they are no longer a production model. but they can be special ordered.

Cunkhead, I believe you may have the J-45 and the AJ mixed up. The AJ is only available with a Rosewood body. Although Guitarsale.com had a special run of short scale Mahoany AJ's at one time. The J-45 is still available with either a Mahogany or a Rosewood body.

I believe through the Custom Shop you can get an AJ with Maple back/sides and short or long scale so I would assume you could also get a Hog if you requested it that way. Every AJ I have seen at the GC's in my area has been sitka/rosewood. I was lucky to get mine in basically unplayed condition from a collector of guitars. I traded my Taylor T5 and had the choice of a 2006 Taylor 614C, a 2005 Taylor 710C or the 2005 AJ. All were basically new in the case condition and had barely been played by this guy. On my way to see the guitars and make the trade, I really thought that I would choose the 614 as it would match nicely with my 1993 Taylor 612C. My 2nd choice (pre seeing them) would have been the Taylor 710 Dread. But once I got there and checked out all the guitars alongside my Taylor 612C, the AJ was the clear winner by a long shot! It took me awhile to like the pickguard, but now for some reason I really love it.....

I love my Sitka/Rosewood sound. I agree with Cunkhead that the tone is very even across all strings. The bass is not Boomy like a martin and after installing bone end pins in mine, I can actually hear some shimmer on the upper e and b string. Mostly, I liken it to piano tones. It just sings and accompaning vocals, I have yet to hear a better vocal backup.

The other thing that gets me is the vibrations you feel when you play the thing. I feel it not only in my chest but in my leg as well. There have been several times when playing, I stop because I think my cell phone is vibrating in my pocket and come to find out I don't even have the phone in my pocket. It is just the AJ vibrating my leg!

O:)

Cunkhead' date=' I believe you may have the J-45 and the AJ mixed up. The AJ is only available with a Rosewood body. Although Guitarsale.com had a special run of short scale Mahoany AJ's at one time. The J-45 is still available with either a Mahogany or a Rosewood body. [/quote']

right you are, SP. j45, my other object of lust!

Archived